E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Coming Mods--Roof Spoiler-Trunk Lip Spoiler--Which One is Best

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 10:58 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Silver 535i Virgin--Becoming a Beast!

Hey Guys!

I've been investigating internet prices.

I like the AC Schnitzer Roof Spoiler and and ASC Rear Spoiler. It looks like I can get them on Ebay for significantly cheaper(assuming they are knock offs)than the various sites like Bavauto and Myhotbwm.

Do you guys think the ACS Rear Spoiler is too much compared to the stock M5 Spoiler?

Also I have Space Gray---Painted and installed how much should both cost me? Anybody know the color code for Space Gray(or where I can find it).

Vincent was going to quote me a price at EuroRev but figured I'd ask you guys first.

Lastly---how difficult are these to install? Is it double sided tape or a lacquer/cement seal?

Thanks.

So Cal
Old 06-22-2007, 11:04 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

i like the ac schnitzer decklid spoiler in my opinion. it's not "too much". i know that besides a couple of others, member ro11dice has the schnitzer decklid. in my honest opinion, with the M5 decklid spoiler, it looks good no doubt but sometimes i think its a little small. im satisfied with that little curve on the stock trunk lid compared to having the M5 decklid spoiler. just my opinion on it. as for installation, i've read that people have used strong silicone or double sided stick tape. the strong silicone is highly recommended and i havent heard of anyone having a problem with it.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

IMHO, I dislike the ACS decklid spoiler even some of my BMW boys have them. Seeing the ACS roof spoiler on EuroCarFan's M5 is all right, but I wouldn't put one on. Just my opinion. Do what YOU like.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:21 AM
Senior Members

Yes, on ACS roof spoiler
No, on ACS deck lid spoiler
Yes, on M5 deck lid spoiler
Old 06-22-2007, 11:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Try Bimmian for the roof spoiler. Beastpower has a very extensive list of mod as well , probably the best dedicated 5er site you can find, in fact they sell the Bimmian roof spoiler cheaper than Bimmian.IMO I like the M5 trunk spoiler best , subtle, understated and original. Roof soilers are a snap to apply,centering them is the critical element . The trunk spoilers are more difficult and need to be done with care so they apply properly and don't lift. Someone posted an excellent application thread somewhere
Old 06-22-2007, 11:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Silver 535i Virgin--Becoming a Beast!

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='438736' date='Jun 22 2007, 12:21 PM
Yes, on ACS roof spoiler
No, on ACS deck lid spoiler
Yes, on M5 deck lid spoiler

OK.

So how does this deal look?

M5 Deck Lid Spoiler
$115(part)w/paint $195
http://www.spoilerexpress.com/images/lsb09sm.jpg

ACS Roof Spoiler
Same Cost
http://www.spoilerexpress.com/images/lsb07.jpg

Thoughts?

So Cal
Old 06-22-2007, 12:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by SoCalM5Mang' post='438746' date='Jun 22 2007, 02:43 PM
OK.

So how does this deal look?

M5 Deck Lid Spoiler
$115(part)w/paint $195
http://www.spoilerexpress.com/images/lsb09sm.jpg

ACS Roof Spoiler
Same Cost
http://www.spoilerexpress.com/images/lsb07.jpg

Thoughts?

So Cal
These are the exact two spoilers I got from spoiler depot. There are 2 types (styles ) of ACS roof spoiler one M5 the other is e60. The difference is subtle but noticable. check the ACS site and you will see them . The M5 version covers the rubber window gaskets the e60 version butts up to the gaskets on the sides and top. The version you are looking at is e60, the Bimmian one is the M5 style .

Good Luck
Old 06-22-2007, 12:48 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Just be careful that some replica products are poorly made. I've seen replicas that have very uneven surfaces that looked warpy compared to originals. Just make sure they have a good return/exchange policy in case you get a bad piece.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:57 PM
Contributors

it comes down to taste. the m5 lip spoiler is a bit too subtle--almost as if the the spoiler is not there.
i prefer the ACS over m5 lip spoiler.

careful with replicas, they don't seem to have good fitment or if painted have wavvy look to it. the lip spoiler is usually attached with 3m double sided tape. it has to sit flush or the gaps will show up more. the roof spoiler i think people are using strong silicone.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004

I am too also undecided on what kind of lip spoiler I would want. Thinking of ACS just cause I have the rear ACS diffuser on the MTECH (thanks to EUROCARFAN), to finish it off.

Quick Reply: Coming Mods--Roof Spoiler-Trunk Lip Spoiler--Which One is Best