E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Which Coilovers and why?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 07:24 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 2005 X3 3.0

Originally Posted by buddy' post='327712' date='Aug 27 2006, 10:55 PM
Toney in my case i dont have ARS because i did not get the sport package on my car, if i did then i would live with the set up from the factory as far as my set up i did install camber plates so the alignment could be set correctly and even with the set up that i have it is no more stiffer as far as seat of the pants but in corners it is way more nuetrual no body roll or bouncing i had the dealer install my gear and set the car up as if it had the sports package as i like the stance, though you may be correct in theory in the real world i dont notice it and the car even tracks better no more of that cross wind jitter.

I understand. perfect. I like the way you kept your height as the s.p height..good job
Old 08-28-2006, 12:12 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by quad_m' post='327662' date='Aug 27 2006, 04:54 PM
all of the manufacturers offer lifetime warranty. but the Best you will get from your car if you Keep your originalshocks and struts and get the H&Rs springs to lower your car. Because your cars made for those shocks and struts to keep weight distribution in balance from factory.the second you change that system the car will never ride the same it used to be. Your DSC,ABS even transmission ratio responsiveness in communication with the original set up. Coilover set up is awesome for track users and people who dont really care for stifness and ride comfort and need performance handling.

just my 2 cents..

I agree and disagree with some of the things you said but I guess it doesn't really matter why to be honest. Overall, the whole reason I want to get some coilovers is so that the car never rides the same as it used to. The E60 has a lot of body roll in corners and a very loose rear end. With the coilovers and some sway bars I'm hoping to eliminate that body roll, not lower the car as much as sport springs, which lower that car at least 1.5", and hopefully tighten up the rear end also. With the H&R coilovers I can lower the car 1" and have a tighter suspension so that when the car is loaded with 5 people and I decide to turn I wont rub with the 20's and I'll have better overall control. Also, the coilovers that I'd be getting from H&R are not track use coilovers. Coilovers back in the day were almost strictly for track use, but a lot of companies are now offering less aggressive versions for street use, such as the H&R's I'm interested in. It's more of an adjustable sport suspension rather than a full on high performance/track use setup. H&R still offers a setup like that, but after the feedback I've gotten from this post I've decided that that's not what I'm after and I probably wouldn't use it that often. I would go with sport springs and new shocks, but that's going to drop the car too much and then I will rub anyway, so I think the coilovers are the best choice. The way I see it, the H&R's are right between the standard sport suspension and a track use suspension, which is almost ideally what I want.