E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Which Coilovers and why?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 11:55 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d Sport, carbon black, media pack, visibility pack, grey leather, heated seats, sun protection glass, voice control, Eibach ProKit, 19" 166 style wheels, e-maps ECU remap to 325hp and 640NM, top speed limiter removed

Steve, who posted here as SG535D or similar has had nothing but trouble with his Bilstein, which surprised me, but it sounded not good. He was in contact with KW and they said the V3 is available for E60 now. I've also seen prices on german websites for the V3.

Admittedly expensive, and I also agree with others, it depends how you are likely to use it.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:27 AM
Senior Members

So, does anyone that actually has adjustable coilovers use them? I hear that in order to adjust the rear coilover you basically have to remove you're entire trunk.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Which Coilovers and why?-dscn4382.jpg
Originally Posted by Heiss5' post='327104' date='Aug 26 2006, 03:27 AM
So, does anyone that actually has adjustable coilovers use them? I hear that in order to adjust the rear coilover you basically have to remove you're entire trunk.
My point exactly i could see the use for the dampening effect but as for continuous height adjustment seems a little extreme to me. I would have gotten regular shocks and springs if they were available and if i could have gotten the exact height that i was looking for, so this is where the coilover effect comes in for me.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:21 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by buddy' post='327190' date='Aug 26 2006, 10:12 AM
My point exactly i could see the use for the dampening effect but as for continuous height adjustment seems a little extreme to me. I would have gotten regular shocks and springs if they were available and if i could have gotten the exact height that i was looking for, so this is where the coilover effect comes in for me.
That's kind of where I'm at too. All of the shocks and springs I see would end up lower my car 1.5" or more. I don't want it to be that low, maybe 1" max. I'm actually thinking about going with the H&R's now, I know some people said that they might rust, but they come with a lifetime guarantee so I could just replace them.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 2005 X3 3.0

Originally Posted by Heiss5' post='327194' date='Aug 26 2006, 01:21 PM
That's kind of where I'm at too. All of the shocks and springs I see would end up lower my car 1.5" or more. I don't want it to be that low, maybe 1" max. I'm actually thinking about going with the H&R's now, I know some people said that they might rust, but they come with a lifetime guarantee so I could just replace them.
all of the manufacturers offer lifetime warranty. but the Best you will get from your car if you Keep your originalshocks and struts and get the H&Rs springs to lower your car. Because your cars made for those shocks and struts to keep weight distribution in balance from factory.the second you change that system the car will never ride the same it used to be. Your DSC,ABS even transmission ratio responsiveness in communication with the original set up. Coilover set up is awesome for track users and people who dont really care for stifness and ride comfort and need performance handling.

just my 2 cents..
Old 08-27-2006, 04:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i, Black Sapphire, SMG, M-Aerokit, Sports Package, Comfort Access, Logic 7,

Originally Posted by quad_m' post='327662' date='Aug 27 2006, 04:54 PM
all of the manufacturers offer lifetime warranty. but the Best you will get from your car if you Keep your originalshocks and struts and get the H&Rs springs to lower your car. Because your cars made for those shocks and struts to keep weight distribution in balance from factory.the second you change that system the car will never ride the same it used to be. Your DSC,ABS even transmission ratio responsiveness in communication with the original set up. Coilover set up is awesome for track users and people who dont really care for stifness and ride comfort and need performance handling.

just my 2 cents..
Tony,

I just ordered H&R coilovers, what's your opinion on the effect with the ARS? If I were to lower the whole suspension by 1'' does this confuse the ARS in any way?
Old 08-27-2006, 04:55 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by hollywoodtrash' post='327666' date='Aug 27 2006, 08:14 PM
Tony,

I just ordered H&R coilovers, what's your opinion on the effect with the ARS? If I were to lower the whole suspension by 1'' does this confuse the ARS in any way?
Well as I said, it has to be synchronized perfectly when installed and not only that the car has to be laser
alligned and camber adjustments has to be well balanced after the coilover is installed.
however, ARS (Active Roll Stabilization) is a very important component and a must have safety feature.Moreover, the system should still read the same regardless the height of the car but again you will never know how much these aftermarket opponents are in truly compatible with these New features of E60s.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Originally Posted by hollywoodtrash' post='327666' date='Aug 27 2006, 06:14 PM
Tony,

Toney in my case i dont have ARS because i did not get the sport package on my car, if i did then i would live with the set up from the factory as far as my set up i did install camber plates so the alignment could be set correctly and even with the set up that i have it is no more stiffer as far as seat of the pants but in corners it is way more nuetrual no body roll or bouncing i had the dealer install my gear and set the car up as if it had the sports package as i like the stance, though you may be correct in theory in the real world i dont notice it and the car even tracks better no more of that cross wind jitter.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 M6: Silverstone Metallic... Fully loaded2005 DINAN5 (545i): Jet Black... Fully loaded1955 Chevy: Custom

Yikes!!! I have done neither laser alligned and camber adjustments. Better get my E60 check out soon... Thanks for the tips quad_m

Originally Posted by quad_m' post='327683' date='Aug 27 2006, 05:55 PM
Well as I said, it has to be synchronized perfectly when installed and not only that the car has to be laser
alligned and camber adjustments has to be well balanced after the coilover is installed.
however, ARS (Active Roll Stabilization) is a very important component and a must have safety feature.Moreover, the system should still read the same regardless the height of the car but again you will never know how much these aftermarket opponents are in truly compatible with these New features of E60s.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:20 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by freed0m' post='327713' date='Aug 27 2006, 10:56 PM
Yikes!!! I have done neither laser alligned and camber adjustments. Better get my E60 check out soon... Thanks for the tips quad_m
youre very welcome

Quick Reply: Which Coilovers and why?