E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Coilovers Which Brand Is Best

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by Crckrjck
What about the KW Street Comfort? You don't hear people talk about those as much and a lot of the vendors have all the other variants, but not those. Is there some reason why they're not a good choice?
I've seen people saying positive things about them. I've never seen anything bad about them either.

In the end it depends on what application you're looking for anyway. Is it street, track, comfort? I say first choose your application and then which brand would be the best for that application. You will get a lot of responses saying get this or that, but you don't know the responder's driving style nor how they like "their" car to feel right for them.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:21 PM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by balbs
I've seen people saying positive things about them. I've never seen anything bad about them either.

In the end it depends on what application you're looking for anyway. Is it street, track, comfort? I say first choose your application and then which brand would be the best for that application. You will get a lot of responses saying get this or that, but you don't know the responder's driving style nor how they like "their" car to feel right for them.
I guess im looking for something similar to, or just a little stiffer than the stock sport suspension, but with a similarly smooth ride. I want to be able to take that 30mph on-ramp horseshoe at 65 without the nose diving to the outside. And i'm also looking for the lowering option that coilovers provide. I'm probably never going to track a 530, but i still want it to stick to the road. Its pretty good as is, on 19" 166's. But i want to squat it down a little bit. I'm over 100k miles and it seems like i feel every bump unless the road is really smooth and it feels a little floaty at "freeway" speeds
Attached Thumbnails Coilovers Which Brand Is Best-2012-06-28_19-51-59_262.jpg  
Old 08-03-2012, 08:50 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by Crckrjck
I guess im looking for something similar to, or just a little stiffer than the stock sport suspension, but with a similarly smooth ride. I want to be able to take that 30mph on-ramp horseshoe at 65 without the nose diving to the outside. And i'm also looking for the lowering option that coilovers provide. I'm probably never going to track a 530, but i still want it to stick to the road. Its pretty good as is, on 19" 166's. But i want to squat it down a little bit. I'm over 100k miles and it seems like i feel every bump unless the road is really smooth and it feels a little floaty at "freeway" speeds
From the posts I've seen on this forum, the Ksports at it's softest settings maybe what you want at a great price. Michael (acuteperformance) is your guy.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:39 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KW has, arguably, the best material construction quality of any coilover kit that I've seen. KW not only designs and manufacturers the coilovers, but they test them as well, to TUV certification levels. They also do this for each individual name plate which means they do it for Mercedes-Benz, Jaguar, BMW, Audi, Porsche, Chevrolet and more. They also design and valve all the suspension dampers to each individual MODEL within that brand, so you're getting something truly unique.

KW's are designed with street driving in mind, that's what they're designed for unless you talk about the clubsport models. All of KW's essential parts are built in-house, they are not outsourced like a lot of other companies. Though to some, this isn't a big issue, but when you consider that gives them a very big advantage on the quality control of a system, other companies just cannot compete with that.

TUV Certification, as I've touched on before, is the highest quality of certification that a company can receive in Europe. Getting TUV certification requires such a large amount of time to seek this endorsement, it's unbelievable. Each individual part such as the coils, the shocks, and the strut cartridges are individually tested, and then re-tested to insure that it meets or exceeds TUV's very strict requirements.

Here's the kicker! Not only did the KW coilovers pass the TUV's rigorous requirements, but it did so on EVERY ride height setting, including the lowest possible setting available. I highly doubt most other coilover companies have the time or the energy, let alone the money to even do such a thing.

The strut housing/shock bodies are T-304 stainless and they are completely impervious to rust, corrosion, acid rain, salt on the roads and of course any other things you might see such as that. All their brackets are 10.9 rated T-6 Aluminum alloy that are all anodized to prevent corrosion.

The second kicker here, is that KW is also an OE supplier to Eibach ironically, because some of the springs they manufacture actually go onto other coilover kits! Lastly, KW is the OE supplier to all the Mercedes-Benz AMG cars, which is an astonishing fact on itself, a real achievement to any company.

Not only that, but as of late, they are also the OEM suspension on the FASTEST production car currently to run around the Nurburgring - The Dodge Viper ACR 10 (AKA ACR-x). THIS is why I stick with KW on my car!

Just as a word of advice, just make sure to purchase through an authorized KW distributor if you are thinking about KW Coilovers.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:30 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After having KW's..get Bilstein or H&R for better fitment. Most Independent shops prefer H&R
Old 09-24-2012, 01:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Originally Posted by balbs
From the posts I've seen on this forum, the Ksports at it's softest settings maybe what you want at a great price. Michael (acuteperformance) is your guy.
The car is wayyyy too bouncy if you use the softest setting on ksport. I have them around the middle and its still pretty rough.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Modded 2010 Carbon Black M5 SMG and Modded 2008 Dinan 550i Sport

Originally Posted by NeRwEEzy
here's our thread on CKS coilovers as an option for more info: https://5series.net/forums/topic/124032-cks-coilovers/
I got the CKS with SWIFT springs from Nerwyll at Trinity for my M5 and they are amazing. Nice flush look and slightly more sporty feel than the stock suspension in sport mode. Absolutely love them.
Attached Thumbnails Coilovers Which Brand Is Best-dsc_0529.jpg  
Old 09-26-2012, 05:10 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 AW N52 with sports package & premium package; natural brown interior MODs: Orion V2s 3000K H8 Yellow Fogs Matte Black Kidney Grills 20" Miro 111 Hankook V12 Tires H&R Sport Springs Special coding via Simon (dbl flash hazards, digital velocity, etc.) LED Side Markers from Trinity Autosports LED License Plate Lights from Trinity Autosports Carbon Delete BMC Air Filter RPI Scoop RPI GT Exhaust Future MODs: Mtech Kit KW Variant 2 Coilovers CIC Retrofit Upgrade Audio System

Originally Posted by ModBargains.com
KW has, arguably, the best material construction quality of any coilover kit that I've seen. KW not only designs and manufacturers the coilovers, but they test them as well, to TUV certification levels. They also do this for each individual name plate which means they do it for Mercedes-Benz, Jaguar, BMW, Audi, Porsche, Chevrolet and more. They also design and valve all the suspension dampers to each individual MODEL within that brand, so you're getting something truly unique.

KW's are designed with street driving in mind, that's what they're designed for unless you talk about the clubsport models. All of KW's essential parts are built in-house, they are not outsourced like a lot of other companies. Though to some, this isn't a big issue, but when you consider that gives them a very big advantage on the quality control of a system, other companies just cannot compete with that.

TUV Certification, as I've touched on before, is the highest quality of certification that a company can receive in Europe. Getting TUV certification requires such a large amount of time to seek this endorsement, it's unbelievable. Each individual part such as the coils, the shocks, and the strut cartridges are individually tested, and then re-tested to insure that it meets or exceeds TUV's very strict requirements.

Here's the kicker! Not only did the KW coilovers pass the TUV's rigorous requirements, but it did so on EVERY ride height setting, including the lowest possible setting available. I highly doubt most other coilover companies have the time or the energy, let alone the money to even do such a thing.

The strut housing/shock bodies are T-304 stainless and they are completely impervious to rust, corrosion, acid rain, salt on the roads and of course any other things you might see such as that. All their brackets are 10.9 rated T-6 Aluminum alloy that are all anodized to prevent corrosion.

The second kicker here, is that KW is also an OE supplier to Eibach ironically, because some of the springs they manufacture actually go onto other coilover kits! Lastly, KW is the OE supplier to all the Mercedes-Benz AMG cars, which is an astonishing fact on itself, a real achievement to any company.

Not only that, but as of late, they are also the OEM suspension on the FASTEST production car currently to run around the Nurburgring - The Dodge Viper ACR 10 (AKA ACR-x). THIS is why I stick with KW on my car!

Just as a word of advice, just make sure to purchase through an authorized KW distributor if you are thinking about KW Coilovers.
Thanks for this feedback.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Dinan 545i

Originally Posted by ColdList
I got the CKS with SWIFT springs from Nerwyll at Trinity for my M5 and they are amazing. Nice flush look and slightly more sporty feel than the stock suspension in sport mode. Absolutely love them.
I see you on the M5 board - your car looks great!

Rex
Old 09-26-2012, 09:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I SMG

Loved the KW Street Comfort setup I had on my 545.

Quick Reply: Coilovers Which Brand Is Best