E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Coilovers Which Brand Is Best

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 05:29 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As the title states what brands do you guys have experience with?

To be honest I dont track my car but like all of us enjoy the look of a car that is sitting on the tyre or around one finger gap.

I have had bilsteins before and loved the comfort, but they leaked and being from the jdm scene also had hks and tein which were great.

I have two mates with sti's who love the BC's but I'm the type of guy who doesn't mind paying a little extra for an exclusive quality component (especially something as major as suspension)

I know the KW's are proven, but what about the cheaper eibach, and H&R items?

KW V1's around $1500

ST coils apparently made by a co that KW own? $1000

BC $1000

H&R $1340

Eibach around $1500 ebay uk

Tein Euro $2300

Bilstein B14 PSS $1300

or B16 PSS $2400 with ride control ebay de

I think I will go for the KW V1's but at this point would love to get the bilsteins

So what are your thoughts guys?
Old 08-01-2012, 06:07 AM
Senior Members

I have BC's and i like them but if you have $ to spend then get KW's for sure.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535xi Purchased 2/2011Sapphire Black MetallicNatural Brown LeatherPremium, Sport & Cold Weather

Don't rule out CKS Coilovers as well...heard great things about them: CKS Coilovers at Trinity Autosports
Old 08-01-2012, 09:10 AM
Members

I know that KW's are the prefered coilovers of choice for most, but there's a relatively new brand that is rapidly becoming very popular with most car enthusiasts, they have drift/rally/drag & street applications. Take a look at the ISC-N1 in comparison to the KW V1(I have compared them to the V2's, & they surpass them as well), see for yourself.

Coilovers Which Brand Is Best-kw-v1.jpg

VS

Coilovers Which Brand Is Best-2uelcpk_1.jpgCoilovers Which Brand Is Best-29vctpl_1.jpg

First the KW V1 Description off of the KW website:

KW Variant 1 inox-line ? Perfect Street Performance

Sporty Handling with factory pre-set damping

The ideal system for customers wishing to rely on the experience of our engineers to set the damper setting, yet determine their own degree of lowering. In extensive driving tests our engineers have set the dampers for the best balance between sporty driving, comfort and safety. The user is then free to decide the best height setting for their use and preference.
?Optimally pre-set
?Sporty harmonious damping technology
?Stainless steel technology "inox-line"*
?Individually height-adjustable
?Lowering range approved by the German Technical Control Board (TÜV)
?Fully finished complete solutions
?High-quality component parts for long durability
Comprehensive documentation for easy use

*Not for suspensions with spring strut modification (exchanged struts), these are only available in zinc-plated steel.

Now the ISC-N1 Description:

ISC is a new brand here for the US market, but they have been present in Australia and Asia for some time now. All coilovers come with 12 months warranty to put your mind at ease, if our product fails in any way in the first 12 months we will pay all postage, labor and parts costs to fix the problem in minimal time. If our product fails after that 12 month period we will replace the parts at trade price! We never stop looking after our customers. The N1 coilover can be lowered approx 3 inches lower then standard ride height, this along with a spring rate setup to suit your car improves handling and stability dramatically. we make packages for drift/rally/drag and of course street, to help our customers out even more we give them the option to pick there own custom spring rates at no extra charge.

Features:

Now come with thrust bearings
32 Step Damper Adjustable
Precise control damp valve
Operates smoothly on all road surfaces
Expansion/Suppression of shock adjustment Pillowball Uppermount
Piston Rod Design - High rigidity steel piston rods
Made from high quality SAE9254 steel
Ride Height Adjustable
Full length height adjustable
Bound adjustable with separate spring locks
Aluminium Bracket
Specifically anodised surface to prevent inside corrosion and surface rust
Single Cylinder Design
Larger cylinder and piston design to advance driving stability and dexterity
Adjustable camber allows more/less on road track for all conditions. N1 Series coilovers meets with race/sport standards Sports Spring. Tested over 500,000 times on compression inspection with less than 5% deformation. They are made with high quality T6061 aluminium alloy used for all adjustment locks to provide a lightweight design that holds spring and vehicle down force. On various models camber can also be adjusted via the bracket as well as the camber tops.

P.S.
This is the suspension I currently have in my car now and it has outperformed my expectations! I know a couple people with E60's with KW's & after seeing how my car rides they both agree that this suspension is as good if not slightly better than thiers.

Oh yeah & the ISC-N1 actualy has a drop of up to 4"(not that anyone would be able to go that low!)
Old 08-01-2012, 09:14 AM
Members

Silly me how could I forget the most important part... the price which is ONLY $955.00 for NON-M E60's & about $1,300 for M5's!
Old 08-01-2012, 10:00 AM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about the KW Street Comfort? You don't hear people talk about those as much and a lot of the vendors have all the other variants, but not those. Is there some reason why they're not a good choice?
Old 08-01-2012, 05:34 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

There is always the popular KSport that many many members have purchased from me. It's been tested for probably over 3 years now. Do a search you'll see some good stuff.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:21 PM
Members

i have the KW v1 and love them
Old 08-02-2012, 08:57 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by cryptical
Don't rule out CKS Coilovers as well...heard great things about them: CKS Coilovers at Trinity Autosports
here's our thread on CKS coilovers as an option for more info: https://5series.net/forums/topic/124032-cks-coilovers/
Old 08-02-2012, 09:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 528i 2006 330i 2006 325i 2007 X3

I just put on ST coilovers and the pre-set dampening works fine for me. Height adjustablity is the best feature for my driving style as I will be able to raise and lower according to winter/summer season.
I will say the ride is only a little rougher. I'm the only one that know's the coilovers are installed on my car. And everyone that has been in the car since - family, friends don't notice any difference from before (stock non-sport)
Check my thread on install of ST's and RPi exhaust..

Quick Reply: Coilovers Which Brand Is Best