E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Cobb Accessport 93 Octane Tune

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 07:28 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535I

I've got a 2008 535i running a Cobb stg 2+. Running catted DP's, an aftermarket FMIC, cat back exhaust and meth. If you guys had any questions just give me a shout, will be happy to give you my experiences with it.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Silver 535i Virgin--Becoming a Beast!

Originally Posted by xclone
I've got a 2008 535i running a Cobb stg 2+. Running catted DP's, an aftermarket FMIC, cat back exhaust and meth. If you guys had any questions just give me a shout, will be happy to give you my experiences with it.
Hell yes, I want your experiences with it. Do Tell! How fast is she? Sounds like a frickin beastie.

Any issues, problems? Did you install new coil packs/spark plugs before hooking up the CAP? What about the Catted DP's? Can they pass smog? How hard was the install? What intake do you have installed?

Thanks bro.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by SoCalM5Mang
Hell yes, I want your experiences with it. Do Tell! How fast is she? Sounds like a frickin beastie.

Any issues, problems? Did you install new coil packs/spark plugs before hooking up the CAP? What about the Catted DP's? Can they pass smog? How hard was the install? What intake do you have installed?

Thanks bro.
LOL.. ya, it's fast. Scary fast. 0-60 in 4.2 with no rollout. I should be close to 4.0 if I can get on a timer that allows the 1' rollout that most tracks use when testing new cars. Before my exhaust and meth, I ran a 12.7 @ 110mph in the 1/4 mile (on stock tires). I've got 275's in the rear now on lighter rims and taken out the secondary cats and primary muffler. The meth keeps my IAT's down and hopefully I can get the Cobb beta Race Map (stg3) before i hit the track again in March. My hope is to run 12 flat or maybe even peak into the 11's.

Acceleration in 2nd gear, if the wheels are not dead straight, leads to tire slip at anything under 40mph. The Stg2+ is very, very different then stg2, so if you plan on going to stg2, jsut go ahead and budget for a FMIC and go to the + stage (only difference in stg1 and stg2 is Tq, which you wont feel during acceleration as much as you will going to stg2+).

I have had 0 issues. Car has 53k miles on it, tuned for 10k. Before I tuned it, I replaced my spark plugs as a preventative measure. The coils are original.

I have AR design catted DP's. They are the only company which I could find that confirmed fitment on the 535 (its different then the 335) and it's about a 3 hour install by someone with small hands (there is no room in there). I had a garage do mine.. don't regret it for one second as it's a total PITA. I don't have a sniffer test requirement and cobb stg2+ hides any error light I would get so, unfortunately, I can't help you with the smog test. I can tell you I have seen other people pass it by literally driving the snot out of the car (getting the cats really hot) and going right to the sniffer.

I've got the injen intake for mine. Now, it's the only intake I could find that sits away from the radiant heat of the engine block but it's loud. The sucking and swooshing is very apparent so if you don;t want a noisy car, don't get those. I've listed everything below that I've done to the car:

Cobb stg2+
CP-E FMIC
BMS WW Meth kit with hobbs switch (boost activated)
Injen Intake
Evolution Racing Charge pipe with dual meth bungs
Turbosmart DV's
BMS Oil catch can
AR Design DP's with race cats
Magnaflow exhaust
2nd cat delete
primary muffler delete
VMR 19" V710 Wheel Set (Staggered: 8.5" & 9.5" - 245's ont eh front, 275's on the rear
Lux H8 bulbs
M5Tech front bumper
OEM M5 Trunk Spoiler
Xenon fogs
LED license plate lights
Clear LED side markers

Here are a few older photos. This is pre meth, OCC and m5tech front:

Old 02-15-2012, 09:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i, Sport, Premium, Navi, Comfort Access, USB/iPod Bluetooth, Cold Weather Package, Bi Xenon Cornering Headlights

LOL.. ya, it's fast. Scary fast. 0-60 in 4.2 with no rollout. I should be close to 4.0 if I can get on a timer that allows the 1' rollout that most tracks use when testing new cars. Before my exhaust and meth, I ran a 12.7 @ 110mph in the 1/4 mile (on stock tires). I've got 275's in the rear now on lighter rims and taken out the secondary cats and primary muffler. The meth keeps my IAT's down and hopefully I can get the Cobb beta Race Map (stg3) before i hit the track again in March. My hope is to run 12 flat or maybe even peak into the 11's.

Acceleration in 2nd gear, if the wheels are not dead straight, leads to tire slip at anything under 40mph. The Stg2+ is very, very different then stg2, so if you plan on going to stg2, jsut go ahead and budget for a FMIC and go to the + stage (only difference in stg1 and stg2 is Tq, which you wont feel during acceleration as much as you will going to stg2+).

I have had 0 issues. Car has 53k miles on it, tuned for 10k. Before I tuned it, I replaced my spark plugs as a preventative measure. The coils are original.

I have AR design catted DP's. They are the only company which I could find that confirmed fitment on the 535 (its different then the 335) and it's about a 3 hour install by someone with small hands (there is no room in there). I had a garage do mine.. don't regret it for one second as it's a total PITA. I don't have a sniffer test requirement and cobb stg2+ hides any error light I would get so, unfortunately, I can't help you with the smog test. I can tell you I have seen other people pass it by literally driving the snot out of the car (getting the cats really hot) and going right to the sniffer.

I've got the injen intake for mine. Now, it's the only intake I could find that sits away from the radiant heat of the engine block but it's loud. The sucking and swooshing is very apparent so if you don;t want a noisy car, don't get those. I've listed everything below that I've done to the car:

Cobb stg2+
CP-E FMIC
BMS WW Meth kit with hobbs switch (boost activated)
Injen Intake
Evolution Racing Charge pipe with dual meth bungs
Turbosmart DV's
BMS Oil catch can
AR Design DP's with race cats
Magnaflow exhaust
2nd cat delete
primary muffler delete
VMR 19" V710 Wheel Set (Staggered: 8.5" & 9.5" - 245's ont eh front, 275's on the rear
Lux H8 bulbs
M5Tech front bumper
OEM M5 Trunk Spoiler
Xenon fogs
LED license plate lights
Clear LED side markers

Here are a few older photos. This is pre meth, OCC and m5tech front:

As of this moment, I declare you my hero Thanks for sharing this. I have to replace my plugs as well (all of them) as I threw the P29CF error (misfiring on cylinder 3). But the tune is bad ass. I was literally about to sell my car and buy an E60 M5 but this is a game changer. At the end of the day no matter what I do, it wont be an M5, BUT, it will be comparably quick and have daily practicality without the high maintenance costs of the the M5.

Looks like I need to save up for some AR DP's, and where did you get your FMIC from??

Thanks a mill!! (0-60 in 4.2 is VERY fast)
Old 02-15-2012, 10:03 AM
Members

Originally Posted by NYAWE60
As of this moment, I declare you my hero Thanks for sharing this. I have to replace my plugs as well (all of them) as I threw the P29CF error (misfiring on cylinder 3). But the tune is bad ass. I was literally about to sell my car and buy an E60 M5 but this is a game changer. At the end of the day no matter what I do, it wont be an M5, BUT, it will be comparably quick and have daily practicality without the high maintenance costs of the the M5.

Looks like I need to save up for some AR DP's, and where did you get your FMIC from??

Thanks a mill!! (0-60 in 4.2 is VERY fast)
My FMIC came from CP-E (Custom Performance Engineering). I did a writeup on the install as I could not find another 535i owner who actually had put an aftermarket IC on their car. You can find that here:

http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...tall-with-pics
Old 02-16-2012, 10:03 AM
Senior Members

i thought i read somewhere that the injen intake actually makes you loose power=/??? thats why i bought afes stage 2 DCI
Old 02-16-2012, 10:09 AM
Members

Originally Posted by stylin8o8
i thought i read somewhere that the injen intake actually makes you loose power=/??? thats why i bought afes stage 2 DCI
I can probably find a graph that shows ANY intake makes you lose power to be honest. The intake is simply to increase volume, which it does over the stock airbox. If you put an aftermarket intake on a non-tuned car, then I would bet you could actually show hard data that there is a slight loss (we are talking 2-3 hp here). Remember when you spin these little turbos at 18psi (what cobb stg 2+ is doing), they need much, much more air the the stock airbox was designed to deliver. I had the DCI at one point and I just got bad heat soak, which is why I changed. Even with the injen my intake temps go up just not quite as high and fast as they did with the BSM DCI.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Silver 535i Virgin--Becoming a Beast!
Default Reviving this Thread for Question about Catted vs Catless DP's

[QUOTE=xclone;1419627]LOL.. ya, it's fast. Scary fast. 0-60 in 4.2 with no rollout. I should be close to 4.0 if I can get on a timer that allows the 1' rollout that most tracks use when testing new cars. Before my exhaust and meth, I ran a 12.7 @ 110mph in the 1/4 mile (on stock tires). I've got 275's in the rear now on lighter rims and taken out the secondary cats and primary muffler. The meth keeps my IAT's down and hopefully I can get the Cobb beta Race Map (stg3) before i hit the track again in March. My hope is to run 12 flat or maybe even peak into the 11's.

What kind of noticeable smell/fumes do you get with AR Catted DP's? Is it noticeable in the Cabin? It's hard to find any information on these bad boys.

I have two daughters and I can't have any gas or noxious fumes entering the cabin when daily driving.

Thanks bro. Re-reading this thread got me all excited.

Jay C
Old 01-03-2013, 12:11 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i, Sport, Premium, Navi, Comfort Access, USB/iPod Bluetooth, Cold Weather Package, Bi Xenon Cornering Headlights

[quote=SoCalM5Mang;1484660]

What kind of noticeable smell/fumes do you get with AR Catted DP's? Is it noticeable in the Cabin? It's hard to find any information on these bad boys.

I have two daughters and I can't have any gas or noxious fumes entering the cabin when daily driving.

Thanks bro. Re-reading this thread got me all excited.

Jay C
Great question, as I'd like to pick these up as well, but I have a newborn on the way. If doing this mod compromises the scent in the cabin, I may be forced to forego it. DAMN.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:15 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 335xi

Hey Xclone,

I have 2008 335xi the intercooler, Cobb V3 AP and the downpipes with the stage 2 chip. I got ECU error saying P29CF would you know what that error means and how would ifix that issue...

Quick Reply: Cobb Accessport 93 Octane Tune