E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

CIC Upgrade Walk Through: Help Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 07:31 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CIC Upgrade Walk Through:

Im joining the club of the CIC upgrade!
Im pretty excited as Ive worked out an order with Patryk that should be arriving in about a week.

I have:
2004 545i, Premium Package (Premium Sound).
Standard iDrive set up with PDC, but No BT, No DVD, No Nav, but with BMW installed iPod interface (located in glovebox).

Ive read (& continue to read) the many awesome threads from Nelson, to Balbs and on other sites & greatly appreciate everyones documented works & contributions.
Its the reason Im actually trying this.
If you're a newcomer to this project, please see those threads, this is an FAQ or QSG but definitely not a substitute.

Id like to pull from your collective minds if what I "think" I need to do is correct.
Im trying to get a handle on all of this before the kit arrives as I no longer have long days to figure these things out (kids) & would very much like to hold my marriage together!

So here goes:

Kit I am receiving from Bimmertech / Patryk:
CIC Nav upgrade kit
PnP Activation module
6FL USB Port
New iDrive Controller
Combox
6NR Kit

Key Notes:
I have Premium sound so no Woofer fix for me (yes!)
Ill be using the existing iDrive controller for now.
I will keep the existing pre-LCI Climate Control unit.

What I think I Need to Do (& Questions):
1. Remove Old CCC
> Remove the trim, remove the Climate panel, Disconnect all cables, pop out the CCC. Pretty straightforward & well documented.

2. Install Combox:
> Im assuming this goes second as Ill need to run wires from the new Combox to the CIC?
> Remove the TCU & replace with Combox (per Balbs & Nelsons threads). Well documented w/ the new connector swap.
Question: What do I do with the other silver TCU sized box that looks like a big heat sync? Its next to the TCU & probably an Amp? I assume I leave this or other?
> Per Balbs thread: I need to do an extension run for the GPS antennae in the shark fin? True for me or just his set up (I don't have BMW assist). If not true for me, where is my Nav antennae? (in unit?).

3. 6NR Run:
> I believe the 6NR (from hardware perspective) is a long cable that terminates in an Apple dock connector: this true? And the job here is to connect it to the Combox & run it to the center armrest (or area of choice). please confirm.
Also: where on the Combox does it plug in? I know where the legacy plugs from the TCU go, but where does the 6NR cable plug in? Or does it plug into CIC or other?

4. USB Run:
> This is the standard 6FL USB port install Patryk provides for coding & use after coding. Ill be terminating this in my glove compartment. Anyone use this enough to justify also putting it in the armrest?

5. PnP connects to new CIC:
> This I am ignorant on. I believe this PnP harness is a bundle of cables that goes into the back of the new CIC inline w/ "something" else. Please comment on where this plugs in on the CIC & what it plugs in "between". (Note: This may be very obvious once I receive it, but I haven't yet figured this out).

6. Input new CIC:
> Now that all wire runs are in place & cables connected to back of the new CIC, I drop it in. This is well documented as well: includes the new Monitor, the actual CIC, & putting (in my case) the old pre-LCI Climate control back in.
Question: Anyone know where I can buy the new LCI buttons (only buttons, not the full unit) to swap onto my old pre-LCI Climate control? I want to do this to eliminate the gap issue.

7. Close up Trim:
> Seal er up.

8. Coding:
> Schedule w/ Patryk to get the old iDrive Controller working right & clear up other issues.

This is a big move for me as Ive never done anything like it, & this forum is quickly getting me addicted to improving my BMW (just got new Roundels!).
I appreciate any & all input.

Thank you,

Chris
Old 08-08-2012, 09:40 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Hope this post works...anyway, here's how the new Combox is plugged.

Originally Posted by balbs
Combox hookup based on my configuration:

Top-left pic shows the original TCU. The white plug is the antenna plug. The 2nd blue plug is the shark fin GPS antenna

Top-right pic shows the internal plug being pulled out of the original TCU harness.

Bottom-left pic shows the PnP harness in place on the new combox

Bottom-right pic shows the final connection (at least my configuration). The Original blue GPS plug connects to the GPS cable (supplied by Patryk) that runs to the GPS plug on the back of the CIC unit. The USB cable from the armrest plugs into the blue connector on the new combox unit.

Attachment 134689

The original champagne and black plugs are not used. The black connector on the combox is not used.

BTW, the GPS extension cable I ordered from rfsupplier.com worked perfectly. The length I ordered is 5FT. I used it to extend the extension provided in the kit.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Contributors

BTW, as far as the LCI Climate control buttons, I think you can get them from ecstuning.com. I recall somebody posting a link for them to that site.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by balbs
BTW, as far as the LCI Climate control buttons, I think you can get them from ecstuning.com. I recall somebody posting a link for them to that site.
As always Balbs, thank you so much for your help.
All of the links & detail on the combox has been very helpful.

Do you also have the secondary silver box in there that looks like a big amp? I assume I just leave that alone, yes?

GPS:
Also for the GPS antennae for Nav, I dont have BMW assist. Do I still follow your install guide with the RF extension & running it to the CIC?
Ultimately, do you plug the GPS extension in the back of the CIC?

6NR:
Looks like Im gaining some clarity here. I think the 6NR actually IS the USB cable, except it has the added coding to also support iPod/iPhone? ie: There arent 2 different cables, there is just the one female USB port to install & then I get a USB to Apple cable to connect my iPod? (You of course did the cool SpecDock, but this would my case).

This add up?
Old 08-09-2012, 02:17 PM
Contributors

Do you also have the secondary silver box in there that looks like a big amp? I assume I just leave that alone, yes?

I believe that's the amp. If you're not doing anything to the radio, leave it alone

GPS:
Also for the GPS antennae for Nav, I dont have BMW assist. Do I still follow your install guide with the RF extension & running it to the CIC?
Ultimately, do you plug the GPS extension in the back of the CIC?

I would ask Patryk if you have the GPS antenna installed already. He should be able to tell you by your VIN. If you don't have one, some members bought a GPS antenna and installed it inside the dashboard next to the cluster. I think this would be the one to get:
Amazon Amazon

6NR:
Looks like Im gaining some clarity here. I think the 6NR actually IS the USB cable, except it has the added coding to also support iPod/iPhone? ie: There arent 2 different cables, there is just the one female USB port to install & then I get a USB to Apple cable to connect my iPod? (You of course did the cool SpecDock, but this would my case).

When you get the kit, it will come with a short USB port cable with a noise reduction ferret on it, and a long USB port cable. The short one goes from the CIC to the glove compartment, the long one goes from the combox to the center console. The end of the center console USB port plugs into another adapter that connects to the ipod\iphone. The specdock is just an extension cable with a stand for the iphone. Nothing much to the specdock.

Here's a pic of the long cable on top and short at the bottom:

CIC Upgrade Walk Through:  Help Wanted-usbportcables.jpg
Old 08-09-2012, 02:27 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

Based on your car specs you will need to get the gps antenna. Do what Balbs did.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:20 AM
Members

Great to hear from you Nelson & thanks for the tip.
You are the man who started this all for me & I believe we are starting from the same situation.

Patryk emailed me back that I wont be needing a seperate GPS antennae. I dont have a response yet on why that is, but Ill share when I get a response.

My kit is being assembled now & I should have it in a little while.
Ill be doing my own thread on it with pics / etc to try & give back a bit to the community.

Anyone else have any comments on the walk through? Im hoping to get this all done in 1 day (prior to coding).
Thanks.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:29 PM
Contributors

I suggest you get a longer GPS extension cable. About 6 feet if you are going to route the GPS cable from the trunk, to the center of the car through the center console and up to the CIC. You would connect this cable to extend the cable supplied in the kit.

I got mine from rfsupplier.com

Cable type: RG174
Connector A: FAKRA C Straight Jack
Connector B: FAKRA C Straight plug