E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CIC Retrofit Question!! Help! Please..

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 07:42 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i
Default CIC Retrofit Question!! Help! Please..

I am currently planning on buying a CIC retrofit for my 04 530i, but I have read that the VIN should be the same as the donor vehicle. I believe that the CIC is getting programmed with my VIN...does this change anything for me from having a hassle of activating the navigation and voice control? Will I be required to buy an emulator for my car afterwards?
Old 03-12-2015, 02:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 294 Likes on 283 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

The CIC needs to be programmed to your VIN. Also there are other things that need to happen programming wise. You need software for that. This is not just a plug and play swap. You also need to get a used A/C controller and face plate because you will have a gap once everything is in. I was planning on doing the same thing to mine but there is alot of work that goes into it. Get all the parts then program the module. I have heard after everything is in with the CIC you will have a low volume issue and need to do an adjustment on the sub and speakers. Do a search on the forum and the answers are here its just hard because there is not just one thread with a DIY write up that you can follow step by step you have to piece it together then once its in figure out why some things are not working. If you have not seen it done before it will take a week or so to get it all working
Old 03-12-2015, 03:03 AM
New Members

Thanks for your quick and informative response! I never knew it would take all those things and I've been crazy scouring forums and DIY guides! Lol I'm starting to feel like this CIC retrofit is more pain than gain... :'( did you ever complete your retrofit? Or did you just take a pause?
Old 03-12-2015, 05:13 AM
Super Moderator

I started buying the parts to do it but then I read about the low speaker issue and all that he did to get it to work and I just gave up. Anything I cant do in one weekend is too much for me. I found a couple of shops that will do it for you but when it is all said and done it was going to be around $3000 depending on the options you want to add. It was "more pain than gain" in my eyes. Maybe one day if someone comes up with an actual DIY I will do it. Programming is not a problem its the speaker issue. He wasnt clear on what he actually did with splitting wires and running the new cables from front to back. I know it had something to do with the oem amp being a single channel that was preventing calls and commands to sound real low. Ill try to find the thread and post it here.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:34 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by ranger530i
l I'm starting to feel like this CIC retrofit is more pain than gain...
Old 03-12-2015, 08:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 535
Model Year: 2008

I was gonna do a CiC upgrade but decided it was more hassle than it's worth
Old 03-12-2015, 11:30 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
I started buying the parts to do it but then I read about the low speaker issue and all that he did to get it to work and I just gave up. Anything I cant do in one weekend is too much for me. I found a couple of shops that will do it for you but when it is all said and done it was going to be around $3000 depending on the options you want to add. It was "more pain than gain" in my eyes. Maybe one day if someone comes up with an actual DIY I will do it. Programming is not a problem its the speaker issue. He wasnt clear on what he actually did with splitting wires and running the new cables from front to back. I know it had something to do with the oem amp being a single channel that was preventing calls and commands to sound real low. Ill try to find the thread and post it here.
Yeah I've been wanting to do this for a while...but its not as straight forward as some people are making it seem. I was planning on purchasing my kit from bimmer retrofit for about 1824 total! it comes with all required parts, wires, plastic bezels,and precoded. They said if additional coding is required they could also take care of it remotely..isnt the CIC really unlocked if you get a combox with it? By unlocked I mean like all the goodies lol

Originally Posted by KyleB
Lol KyleB you're one of the ones I look to for answers, but I just get a thumbs up lmao

Originally Posted by seven11
Will you ever revisit the idea of doing it again?
Old 03-12-2015, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Your CIC will do what you code it to do. You have to unlock the features with the car.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:43 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by seven11
I agree. I mean, I definitely give props to those that do it, CIC is definitely vastly superior to CCC. but honestly if I were to do anything in this respect I'd just go for some third party interface and connect an ipad/pod and stream video that way. I'm of the opinion that an iPad will do anything iDrive will do 10,000 times better and for 1/4 the cost. it just seems like soooo much money and effort for something that still isn't as good as any tablet out on the market, but hey that's just me.

BMW has now gone fully to the 'iPad stuck on the dash' aesthetic with NBT iDrive. they should get a clue and just install a docking port on the dash and ship every car with a BMW branded ipad mini.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:02 PM
New Members

Thanks for your help everyone!! I love this community on the forum because you guys are always well informed and always willing to help!

Quick Reply: CIC Retrofit Question!! Help! Please..