E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Chrome Exhaust TIPS

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 10:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 E60 520d - 1995cc-177bhp, Business audio, Adaptive Xenons, ACS Roof & Trunk Spoilers, M6 Kidney Grill, ///M Badging, Carbon Fibre Door Lock Pins, ///M Wheel hub caps,

Hello again all!

Thanks for all ur suggestions, i had finally jumped on the Sprint Booster for my 520D, and am so so so happy with it, should have bought it the day i read about it here! but hey! better late than never!

Now i got an itch to get a chrome tip put to the exhaust.

i am interested in this one :

Chrome Exhaust TIPS-acs_exhaust_tip.jpg

But my problem here is that as mine is the Diesel variant, the current exhaust tips are bent facing down. Meaning, the exhaust fumes are not shot straight out, but diverted towards the ground. and this is the case with all diesel variants in BMW, and also some other cars, alteast in India.

Pic of a Straight Tip:

Chrome Exhaust TIPS-bmw_e60_exhaust.jpg

Mine is curved towards the end, facing down.

So can i just get them cut straight, and then put this on? Wont this have any problem with the exhaust, like more smoke, or something like that? coz there must me some reason BMW did this curve downside, in diesel only, and not petrol!

Please help me!

Also, can someone please shed some light on why it is so for the Diesel variants? Is it due to the thing that diesels have a bit more smoke in their exhaust than the petrols?

THANKS ALL!
Old 11-15-2008, 10:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by Insane Devil' post='722073' date='Nov 15 2008, 01:16 PM
...Now i got an itch to get a chrome tip put to the exhaust.

i am interested in this one: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=64425

But my problem here is that as mine is the Diesel variant, the current exhaust tips are bent facing down. Meaning, the exhaust fumes are not shot straight out, but diverted towards the ground. and this is the case with all diesel variants in BMW, and also some other cars, alteast in India.

So can i just get them cut straight, and then put this on?
Any decent muffler shop should be able to make those ACS tips fit your car.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 520d - 1995cc-177bhp, Business audio, Adaptive Xenons, ACS Roof & Trunk Spoilers, M6 Kidney Grill, ///M Badging, Carbon Fibre Door Lock Pins, ///M Wheel hub caps,

MRFVA, thanks for ur reply,

YEs, i understand any muffler shop can do it for me, but my question is more like -

IS IT SAFE TO STRAIGHTEN OUT THE CURVED EXHAUST?

I dont want any extra smoke coming out of the exhaust after straightening them out and fitting the ACS tips. Know what i mean?

what do u say on that?
Old 11-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Senior Members

Now i got an itch to get a chrome tip put to the exhaust.

i am interested in this one :

So can i just get them cut straight, and then put this on? Wont this have any problem with the exhaust, like more smoke, or something like that? coz there must me some reason BMW did this curve downside, in diesel only, and not petrol!

Please help me!

Also, can someone please shed some light on why it is so for the Diesel variants? Is it due to the thing that diesels have a bit more smoke in their exhaust than the petrols?

I think BMW does that to keep diesal soot away from the bumper. You can have it straightened, you just need to keep your butt clean so the soot doesn't mess up your paint...
Old 11-15-2008, 05:35 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

Originally Posted by mhs525' post='722143' date='Nov 15 2008, 03:29 PM
I think BMW does that to keep diesal soot away from the bumper. You can have it straightened, you just need to keep your butt clean so the soot doesn't mess up your paint...
This correct the reason the deisels exhaust point down is because diesel engines don't burn as clean as gasoline so you get black smoke from exhaust at times which will leave sooton your bumper if the pipes were straight not a big issue if you keep your car clean or maybe even extend the pipes out a bit further so the soot doesn't get on the bumper
Old 11-16-2008, 09:19 AM
Members

Thanks a lot for the replies, fellas!

Will get this mod done soon!
Old 11-16-2008, 11:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='722075' date='Nov 15 2008, 03:19 PM
Any decent muffler shop should be able to make those ACS tips fit your car.
+1