E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Charcoal Filter Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 06:03 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took mine out and drove around for a few days and noticed nothing, except that when in sport mode, shifting was more erratic. I put it back in this morning and think I will just leave it in. I just got this 550, only has 600 miles on it.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by carfreak' post='237367' date='Feb 9 2006, 09:53 AM
Just checked my car and it doesn't have it.

530i July 04' build.
You've got a Euro spec car. Less emission control.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by 530i SMG' post='235946' date='Feb 6 2006, 09:09 PM
on a slightly OT note, any ideas as to what kind of difference i might notice with a K&N filter
You will notice no increase in performance with a K&N.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

I took mine out Friday night.
I also cleaned & re-oiled the K&N.
Saturday the car did feel more responsive and sounded a little louder upon hard accelleration.
Could be the charcol filter - or the "pile" of dried leaves that was in the air box! WTF is with that. I've had many cars with this type of air-box setup and Never have I had so many leaves.
Next Fall I'm just going to drive my car around the yard instead of hiring some stiff to rake up my lawn.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:09 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by realtyman' post='239217' date='Feb 12 2006, 10:12 PM
I took mine out Friday night.
I also cleaned & re-oiled the K&N.
Saturday the car did feel more responsive and sounded a little louder upon hard accelleration.
Could be the charcol filter - or the "pile" of dried leaves that was in the air box! WTF is with that. I've had many cars with this type of air-box setup and Never have I had so many leaves.
Next Fall I'm just going to drive my car around the yard instead of hiring some stiff to rake up my lawn.
the 2006 models now have a plastic mesh at the intake entrance by the front gril which the other e60 models lack..thus teh excesive leaves and stereopon (how ever you spell that) cups
Old 02-17-2006, 01:26 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by realtyman' post='239217' date='Feb 12 2006, 07:12 PM
Old 02-22-2006, 07:40 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, Black/Black, every option except HUD

I took out mine this morning. Interestingly enough, there were no clips!! The thing was molded into the top of the air box. I had to pry the corners off. If I ever decide for whatever reason to put it back, I'll need epoxy!

And unfortunately, I didn't have any leaves or styrofoam high-performance accessories like many of you...
Old 02-28-2006, 04:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='235391' date='Feb 5 2006, 10:22 PM
As for their high powered fan, I've seen it in their dyno room. As I recall, it's about 4-6 ft in front of the car, I think and it's used to simulate air flow at speeds which is common in any dyno facility. I'm not sure if I understand what you mean about it being used to push air into the intake box. Do you mean that air is funneled directly to the intake box because it looked like it was just aimed at the general frontal area of the car.
Right, upon acceleration, the air flow would be similar to the fan effect. I don't think the filter would make the slightest amount of difference--ceratinly not a SOP difference or one that would be consistently measureble on a dyno. I'm keeping my filter.

I hope your CAI does provide the HP you want. It seems like it should get more air in and through the Dinan throttle body. The question then becomes can the engine effectively use more air? Dinan says yes, and I tend to trust them a reasonable amount.

But, for example, the 02-04 Z06 benefits from more air only temporarily without dyno tuning later. Over time the increased air flow causes the engine to run rich and, thus, puts you back to where you started or maybe slightly worse off. Today's engines can do unexpected things given that today's cars are capable of learning/adapting. Sometimes the addition of aftermarket parts is not allowed for and the learnings/adaptations turn out to be not so good.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:50 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Schpilky' post='244237' date='Feb 22 2006, 11:40 AM
I took out mine this morning. Interestingly enough, there were no clips!! The thing was molded into the top of the air box. I had to pry the corners off. If I ever decide for whatever reason to put it back, I'll need epoxy!

And unfortunately, I didn't have any leaves or styrofoam high-performance accessories like many of you...
I looked at mine out of curiosity, but did not remove it. It didn't look like Lomag's. Yours must be like mine--no clips. I also looked at the pics on the M5 board. They showed tearing the filter out.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:29 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='235230' date='Feb 5 2006, 03:05 PM
I took apart the Dinan CAI...well, just the airfilter box and guess what? No charcoal filter! The Dinan CAI assembly consists, among other things, of a new air filter box cover, which has the Dinan name and logo engraved. So the new lid does not have that filter. From what most of you have said, this could perhaps contributed to the 17hp gain that Dinan claims.

Oh and btw, no styrofoam... Dinan must have removed it along with any other deposits when they installed the new CAI.
Here's something interesting from the M5 discussion--some M5 dyno results--two with filters in and one with filters out:

Blue M5 with Eisman exhaust no other mods: charcoal filters in
P400 mode = 348.23HP
P500 mode = 415.31HP
humidity 11% temperature 69F

Silver grey M5 with charcoal filters in with no other mods:
P400 mode = 333.46HP
P500 mode = 413.70HP
humidity 10% temperature 69

Black M5 had no mods and removed charcoal filters
P400 mode = 327.41
P500 mode= 423.88
humidity 10% temperature 69

So, these tests imply unreasonably that the filter removal may help, may not help, or may hurt. At the extreme, one might conclude that the filter removal added about 16 RWHP--which would mean about 19 crank HP. I'm not yet ready to attribute any increase in HP to the filter removal. I'm keeping mine until I see much better evidence. The dyno tests reveal some of the follies of trying to draw conclusions from one-time dyno testing in particular.

Quick Reply: Charcoal Filter Removal