E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Changing the yellow halo ring bulbs to a 12v8w white bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 06:09 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525i
Model Year: 2007

post more pics if ur satisfied with the product guys
Old 03-30-2010, 06:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by NguyenAzn
post more pics if ur satisfied with the product guys
Old 03-30-2010, 06:46 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pinguhk

I dont think they are bright enough.... need them to be much brighter!!!!!! Similar brightness to DRL that audi/porsche use....
Old 03-30-2010, 07:18 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mark_hk
I dont think they are bright enough.... need them to be much brighter!!!!!! Similar brightness to DRL that audi/porsche use....
don't forget these are just 5W bulbs in the socket and not HID or H8.
the 1s I use are 8w12v which are the whitest & brightness you will ever get for these bulbs, unless you what a tint of blue in it then there are others.
also the plastic clear ring will turn yellow over the years which is very hard to change.
I have seen 10w12v but dont know if they will melt the wires and will not try them too.
LED are brighter than these bulbs but need to put a resister on it or it will 100% blow within a month.
I have tried this too.

If you what brighter 1s then change the light to xeon and you will get very bright 1s
Old 03-30-2010, 07:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i

Lights look great, good solution for those of us that have halogen headlights
Old 03-30-2010, 08:05 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by b1zzy
Lights look great, good solution for those of us that have halogen headlights
pm sent
Old 03-30-2010, 08:07 PM
Senior Members

the 1s I use are 8w12v which are the whitest & brightness you will ever get for these bulbs, unless you what a tint of blue in it then there are others.
also the plastic clear ring will turn yellow over the years which is very hard to change.
I have seen 10w12v but dont know if they will melt the wires and will not try them too.
LED are brighter than these bulbs but need to put a resister on it or it will 100% blow within a month.
I have tried this too.

If you what brighter 1s then change the light to xeon and you will get very bright 1s
Yes, they are better than the originals and at least they are white! I will try to install brighter LED's with resistors...
Old 03-30-2010, 11:10 PM
Contributors

Yes, they are better than the originals and at least they are white! I will try to install brighter LED's with resistors...
been down that road.
you will need to mod the light to fit the resistors inside or leave the cap off which I would not do in case the water goes in.
good luck on the mod.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:13 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

These are the BEST for plug and play

I have tried this too.

+1. LEDs will work and the ones with built-in LEDs tend to start melting after a few months. They blow quick. If u want something brighter, u need LEDs and wire EXTERNAL resistors to prevent any chance of melting anything inside the headlight.

been down that road.
you will need to mod the light to fit the resistors inside or leave the cap off which I would not do in case the water goes in.
good luck on the mod.
Yup. Either drill a couple holes in the cap cover and route the resistors there or close the cap while the wires are hanging out. If you want something simple, these are the bulbs.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:09 PM
Members

yes you are right these will not work with xeon lights.
search the forum there are loads of info on this item

Does this apply to all model e60 bmw's? I have an 07 530i and would like to change my halo lights to white as well. So if I use a hyper white H7 light bulb and use the 12v8w white bulbs the lights may still look yellow??? Please explain. Thanks

Quick Reply: Changing the yellow halo ring bulbs to a 12v8w white bulbs