E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Changing a steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 04:52 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530i SE Auto

How easy is it to change from the standard SE steering wheel (which has the multion function buttons for stereo, phone and the 2 hot keys) to an M Sport one?

I'm thinking that the same buttons will be present also.

I know that I need to buy the steering wheel and the airbag separately, but how easy is it to fit myself?

Guidance on how to do it would be welcome also!
Old 07-03-2008, 05:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545 SE Auto in Black

easy to do look under your air bag the (backside) your see a split put a screw driver in their and then push up this will release the airbag, then your see the nut undo the nut and remove the steering wheel, your also need to disconnect your airbag to get the wheels, off swap over the MFSW button bolt up the new wheel connect the air bag and then your done, bear in mind your have ot get your airbag light reset.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:41 AM
Members

By the way, don't do anything until you've disconnected the battery first!
And don't shut the boot with the battery disconnected or you'll have a job trying to open it again.
Also, you shouldn't have to get anything reset. I changed my SE wheel for an M5 wheel with paddle shifts and it didn't need any resetting. Worked straight away.
The Sport wheel has different shaped trim around the Multi Function buttons so make sure you get a wheel with the trim on.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545 SE Auto in Black

Originally Posted by smarty156' post='615263' date='Jul 3 2008, 08:41 AM
By the way, don't do anything until you've disconnected the battery first!
And don't shut the boot with the battery disconnected or you'll have a job trying to open it again.
Also, you shouldn't have to get anything reset. I changed my SE wheel for an M5 wheel with paddle shifts and it didn't need any resetting. Worked straight away.
The Sport wheel has different shaped trim around the Multi Function buttons so make sure you get a wheel with the trim on.
that strange when we have done ours we had the air bag light come on and we had to reset the active stearing
Old 07-03-2008, 05:56 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by smarty156' post='615263' date='Jul 3 2008, 02:41 PM
You can shut the boot if you want but if you have the Finisher then it will be pain. Just use the key hidden inside your key fob to do the job the 'old' way i.e. turn key solution
Old 07-03-2008, 07:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i 07

would the gear shifters on the M Steering wheel work then?
Old 07-03-2008, 08:08 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Bahabishoo' post='615356' date='Jul 3 2008, 04:05 PM
would the gear shifters on the M Steering wheel work then?
They will if you buy the paddle shift kit from Fred ("my530i").
Old 07-03-2008, 08:09 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='615279' date='Jul 3 2008, 02:56 PM
You can shut the boot if you want but if you have the Finisher then it will be pain. Just use the key hidden inside your key fob to do the job the 'old' way i.e. turn key solution
I've got an E61 so I think the boot locking may be different i.e. it's electronic on the E61 and there's no key hole!
Had to put the rear seats down, climb in the back, re-connect battery and then get out and open the boot!
Old 07-03-2008, 01:11 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 530i SE Auto

Cheers guys for the advice... i just need to take the plunge and buy the wheel now!

I don't get though why the boot is affected?! I mean, if I disconnect the battery (just take the cables off the battery right?) why do i need the boot open? So should I just keep it closed or open at all times whilst changing the wheel?

Just slightly concerned as mine is a saloon, so no other way into the boot!

How do I reset the air bag light?

To bruce_mirander: What's a "finisher"?
Old 07-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Originally Posted by keelaw' post='615752' date='Jul 3 2008, 05:11 PM
Cheers guys for the advice... i just need to take the plunge and buy the wheel now!

I don't get though why the boot is affected?! I mean, if I disconnect the battery (just take the cables off the battery right?) why do i need the boot open? So should I just keep it closed or open at all times whilst changing the wheel?

Just slightly concerned as mine is a saloon, so no other way into the boot!

How do I reset the air bag light?

To bruce_mirander: What's a "finisher"?
The battery is in the boot/trunk and the boot/trunk release is electronic. So if you have the battery disconnected you have to manually use the key to open the trunk/boot. If you have the M5 trunk finisher that makes the back end of the car flush, it covers the keyhole so you will not be able to open the trunk with the key.

Quick Reply: Changing a steering wheel