E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

ceramic tinting

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In terms of appearance and function what are the benefits of ceramic tint vs a non ceramic tint besides cost?
Old 04-07-2009, 07:45 PM
Contributors

With the advanced electronic systems in our cars with nav especially, it is imperative that a window film allow optimum performance at all frequencies. The advanced technology utilized in manufacturing ceramic tints provides a non-metallized, non-conductive film with maximum heat reduction, maximum ultraviolet rejection, excellent optical clarity and blockage of infrared rays.

In other words, you get what you pay for.

38% Ceramic tints all around baby! Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Old 04-07-2009, 07:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='840022' date='Apr 7 2009, 11:45 PM
With the advanced electronic systems in our cars with nav especially, it is imperative that a window film allow optimum performance at all frequencies. The advanced technology utilized in manufacturing ceramic tints provides a non-metallized, non-conductive film with maximum heat reduction, maximum ultraviolet rejection, excellent optical clarity and blockage of infrared rays.

You sold me on that. Tints look perfect on that paint colour btw!
Old 04-08-2009, 04:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i Alpine White with Navi and Premium PackageIn progress: OEM Mtech kit, H&R Sport Springs, and 19

Huper Optik

Can't go wrong, I love it and the heat resistance is unreal!
Old 04-08-2009, 05:45 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gblass' post='840015' date='Apr 7 2009, 08:42 PM
In terms of appearance and function what are the benefits of ceramic tint vs a non ceramic tint besides cost?

A must have with added electronics like navigation, etc.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:03 AM
Members

My Ride: Metallic gray '05 545i Sport Black Leather with HUD, Step, Nav, PDC, CWP, K&N Air Filter, Black RPI scoop, Black painted calipers, 35% F1 Pinnacle tint, 19" RDSport RS-2F rims with Continental ExtremeContact DWs.

I am looking at Formula1 ceramic tint, and got a quote of $360 ($300 with their on-line coupon) form Mr. Tint in San Diego. This sounds a little low for F1 tint. How can you tell the difference between different tints? How can I tell I actually have ceramic tint? Thanks...
Old 04-29-2009, 01:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i

I have 35% Formula1 PS on the side windows and 15% on the rear window and I love it. I had mine done for $399. Personally, I can't visually tell the difference between ceramic and non-ceramic tint.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:03 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by top6491' post='862927' date='Apr 29 2009, 11:03 AM
I am looking at Formula1 ceramic tint, and got a quote of $360 ($300 with their on-line coupon) form Mr. Tint in San Diego. This sounds a little low for F1 tint. How can you tell the difference between different tints? How can I tell I actually have ceramic tint? Thanks...
Are you sure it's ceramic because that's too low..

Formula 1 has dyed (comfort) tint and ceramic (Pinnacle). Both will work with 5 series and not interfere with navi and radio. I had a quote for $350 for dyed and $600 for ceramic in SoCal when I did it for my 5. (2 years ago)

Ceramic will last longer (keep color) and block more UV light. I've done dyed and ceramic on both my cars and I can tell the difference between them. From outside perspective, ceramic tint is less reflective. Inside, the car, it is much cooler because more heat is being blocked out. It's worth it if you are planning on keeping the car for a while, but if it's a lease, just do the dye.

The quality between formula one and huper is the same. They both are great. The only thing is Huper is a thicker film, which makes it a bit harder for installers to apply it, especially with all the tight door panels e60s have. Formula one is thinner and also made specifically only for cars.

Huper or Formula, you can't really go wrong.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Black Sapphire

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='840022' date='Apr 7 2009, 10:45 PM

Looks hot, what brand of film?
Old 04-29-2009, 05:06 PM
Members

My Ride: Metallic gray '05 545i Sport Black Leather with HUD, Step, Nav, PDC, CWP, K&N Air Filter, Black RPI scoop, Black painted calipers, 35% F1 Pinnacle tint, 19" RDSport RS-2F rims with Continental ExtremeContact DWs.

Originally Posted by MikeBuzzsaw' post='863228' date='Apr 29 2009, 03:03 PM
Are you sure it's ceramic because that's too low..

Formula 1 has dyed (comfort) tint and ceramic (Pinnacle). Both will work with 5 series and not interfere with navi and radio. I had a quote for $350 for dyed and $600 for ceramic in SoCal when I did it for my 5. (2 years ago)

Ceramic will last longer (keep color) and block more UV light. I've done dyed and ceramic on both my cars and I can tell the difference between them. From outside perspective, ceramic tint is less reflective. Inside, the car, it is much cooler because more heat is being blocked out. It's worth it if you are planning on keeping the car for a while, but if it's a lease, just do the dye.

The quality between formula one and huper is the same. They both are great. The only thing is Huper is a thicker film, which makes it a bit harder for installers to apply it, especially with all the tight door panels e60s have. Formula one is thinner and also made specifically only for cars.

Huper or Formula, you can't really go wrong.
Thanks for the info. Actually, I haven't had the car tinted yet, just visited two different Mr Tint shops.

So if I hold them side by side, I should be able to tell them apart by the difference in how they reflect light, I can try that. Although I'll look like I don't trust them by doing so, I don't want to get taken either.

Any other hints about F1 Pinnacle tint?

Quick Reply: ceramic tinting