E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Centre console USB/AUX socket part nbr

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 01:09 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520d M Sport Touring Sport Auto, Sophisto Grey II, Pro Nav, BT and voice control, USB (6FL), Cream/Black leather, folding mirrors, heated seats, Privacy glass, 18" (with Runflats), 2011/61 Plate (Dec 11)

Hi Guys,

Finally bought a Dension 500 and spec.dock (ashtray iPhone dock) but I'd like to route the USB cable into centre console and wire to a proper USB socket rather than just leave a trailing cable under the phone tray. I seem to just have a blanking plate at the mo - my factory fitted AUX port is in the rear of the centre console (for the kids in the back seats I guess!!) - I have no USB socket.

Any ideas if what I want to do is possible and what parts do I need to swap a blanking plate in the centre console to a blanking plate and proper factory look USB socket?

I guess what I am after is the 2 parts that make up this image:
USB Socket Picture

Any ideas of part nbrs?

Thanks,
Slime.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

But be warned that this part needs some special connectors at the back of it and I dont know the part numbers for those plugs. See http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...st&p=655788

You can instead buy something like http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchB...t&R=6120756 and plug that somewhere better.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:38 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d M Sport Touring Sport Auto, Sophisto Grey II, Pro Nav, BT and voice control, USB (6FL), Cream/Black leather, folding mirrors, heated seats, Privacy glass, 18" (with Runflats), 2011/61 Plate (Dec 11)

Thanks a million
Old 10-09-2008, 12:49 AM
Members

Bruce,

Is the flat connector for the USB or the round weird one? I take it that it is the funny round one? Can I just terminate the USB cable with square plastic plugs and then just push them on to the pins on the round connector or do i need to connect to the round part to (like an earth or something)?

I think maybe the RS thingy is much easier - but it doesn't look as nice - but hidden away - I guess who cares!

Cheers,
Slime.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:45 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slime' post='688836' date='Oct 9 2008, 11:49 AM
Bruce,

Is the flat connector for the USB or the round weird one? I take it that it is the funny round one? Can I just terminate the USB cable with square plastic plugs and then just push them on to the pins on the round connector or do i need to connect to the round part to (like an earth or something)?

I think maybe the RS thingy is much easier - but it doesn't look as nice - but hidden away - I guess who cares!

Cheers,
Slime.
...or, you can do something like this

Centre console USB/AUX socket part nbr-dscn9524__large_.jpg

Centre console USB/AUX socket part nbr-dscn9522__large_.jpg

Centre console USB/AUX socket part nbr-dscn9526__medium_.jpg

Centre console USB/AUX socket part nbr-dscn9527__large_.jpg
Old 10-11-2008, 05:48 AM
Members

@nicke60gre,

That looks nice - I take it that is the stock BMW part, taken to pieces and then a USB cable cut off one end and soldered onto the contacts within the stock BMW part?

Looks good - still think I'd need a new blanking plate that accepts the BMW stock USB/AUX switch - any ideas of part nbr as I can only find my original blanking plate on bmwfans.info.

Thanks guys,
Slime.

P.S. Dension and spec.dock fitted now but just got USB cable in center console - no proper socket yet - had some issues when I first powered it on - iDrive comp started going nuts "SOS Call Failure" message and then "Battery Low" and then the car just "bling"ed at me when I tried to lock it up last night. I realised that the time had been knocked out (prob when we pulled CDC fuse - strange why time got lost though for CD changer fuse!), when reset time, seems OK since - no faults showing.