E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

CCC without 6UA

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 09:06 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545i & 01 316i
Default CCC without 6UA

Hello All -

So I have a 05 545i without the 6UA option on the car. I want to do a CCC retrofit in it (I'd love the CiC, but it cost prohibitive). My local indy says without the 6UA option its impossible. I found a wiring diagram for our cars (attached) which seems to me that the M-ASK and CCC wiring are identical.

My question is, is my Indy just wrong, and it can be done with some fancy-coding? If so, does anyone have the coding parameters to get the CCC into a non 6UA car (with HiFi).

Oh, and yes I did search, didn't come up with much or anything relevant since 2005. Thereby attached it keywords;

"CCC install"
"CCC install without 6UA"
"CCC retrofit"
"M-ASK to CCC install"
"MASK to CCC install"
"MASK to CCC"
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
WDS Wiring Diagram System.pdf (170.5 KB, 967 views)
Old 02-08-2013, 10:23 AM
New Members

Ok, well I am very certain it can be done. Attached one will find a PDF of the BMW instruction guide on how to retrofit a CCC Nav system without the 6UA option, from what I am understanding is just the GPS antenna in the Shark Fin. Can someone confirm this for me?

So, now I just need someone to tell me;

1) What exactly is the 6UA option?

2) What exactly are the coding parameters to turn the CCC and Nav on? Just enable 609?

Thanks again! Hopefully this can be useful to those in the future.
Attached Files
nav_retrofit.pdf (836.8 KB, 300 views)
Old 02-08-2013, 11:12 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

Having the 6ua option mine already had the gps antenna prewired, I had the fan harness, my idrive controller was high I believe, but all those can be bought cheap. 15 bucks gps antenna on eBay and if u need I bought a harness from a member and ended up not needing it, the controller can be programs if you don't have the high one. That's the best help I can offer as mine was pretty much plug and play and coding done was very easy.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:46 AM
New Members

Thanks for the reply.

My father talked to the local Indy, who is very reputable and does great work about why he said it wouldn't work. The local indy essentially said that the plug for the CCC contains a lot more wires, and last time he tried it the coding didn't work out and the unit fried.

Sounds to me like he didn't install the fan (the difference in the plug) and after trying for hours to code it (unit probably was throwing errors as it was too hot, just like any computer, failure rate skyrockets when it gets too hot) the thing simply burned up.

This is my email to him;

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hey XXXX -

My name is XXXX, I believe you've spoken to my father a few times regarding my 05 545i we've had you guys do a bit of work on. Sorry I haven't been able to show up there in person, as it stands right now I am emailing this to you from Germany with 6" of snow on the ground. Secondly, I would like to thank you guys for the great work you've done on my car thus far. I will be using you guys to swap the Valve Cover gaskets as well as the upper timing cover gaskets in a couple months. I'd love to do it now, but $1650 is a lot of cash to come up with on a student budget. Anyways, I am wanting to swap my M-ASK unit (car without 6UA (navigation pre-wire) option last 7 of vin XXXXXXX) with a professional CCC. We can do the labor ourselves (explained later) but the coding is a different story.

My dad (who is also named XXXX) talked with XXXX there about doing it, and XXXX had some reservations. From what XXXX told my father the plug at the back of the CCC is substantially larger (meaning it has substantially more wiring) than that of the M-ASK unit and that previously when XXXX tried to do it, the car wouldn't accept the coding for the unit and the CCC eventually fried. Attached you will find the wiring diagram for the M-ASK and CCC unit. (Attached WDS wiring diagram attachment from first post) According to this chart -- the only difference in wiring -- *assuming both cars XXXX was talking about when comparing and contrasting the amount of wiring going into the back of the CCC were identically equipped save the 6UA option* -- is the Shark fin GPS antenna and the CCC fan.

Essentially the only difference from what I understand between pre-wired (6UA e60s) and non-pro-wired is the GPS antenna is already installed in the Shark fin and the fan for the CCC is already in place behind the current M-ASK. The antenna can be added relatively inexpensively, and because I do not have the Logic7 sound system in the car, the GPS antenna fits nicely where the center speaker in the dash should go.

The other substantial difference between the M-ASK and CCC units is the CCC fan. Part of what makes the plug "larger" with the CCC is a 3 prong plug within the "plug" that is a fan one must install with the CCC. If the fan is not installed the CCC realizes there is no fan there (its a 3 pin fan with a +12V, ground, and a simple data wire controlling and reporting fan speed) and will reject coding as well as not function properly as the CCC gets hotter and hotter without proper cooling. Like any electronic piece of equipment after it runs outside its heat tolerant zones for a while -- it will eventually tank. I am very sure these two differences taken into account - a non-CCC non-6UA car can in fact have a CCC professional installed in it. Shoot, there are many success stories online of a non-6UA car taking a CiC. (I have the wiring diagram for that if you're curious)

I base my conclusion that this can be accomplished not solely on the attached wiring diagram, nor on the dozens of success stories I've seen on the forums (when I worked in the auto-mod industry, I always hated it when people would come in and tell me they saw it on the forums) but BMW in-fact released a set of installation instructions to do exactly this (install a CCC into a non-6UA car (attached nav_retrofit.pdf attached in second post in this thread). Moreover, this Installation Instruction kit differs substantially from the CCC into a 6UA based car instructions (attached CCC_EBA_Retrofit_e60.pdfattached to this post).

From what I understand at this point -- once the CCC + fan + GPS Antenna is installed you just code the car to accept the Navigation and it fires right up. I am still trying to get more conformation on this from other online sources -- as to how the coding goes, as I am completely ignorant here -- but everything should be pretty straight forward.

So I'd be willing to be the guinea-pig car to see if it will work, and when we get it to work, your shop would be the only shop in the South East that can confirm they've done one. The biggest shop doing this sort of thing in e60s is in the UK, and a bit cost prohibitive to have them code my car. haha

Anyways thanks again for the work you've done so far on my car, and I look forward to doing more business with you guys in the future.

--XXXXXXX

(BTW - I CC'ed my dad in on this, as he is the one that gave me your content info)

-------------------------------------------------

So if someone who is a coding God can weigh in on this -- as well as someone who knows with 110% certainty that the 6UA option is merely a difference in fan and shark fin it would be great.

Anyways, everyone please chime in. I am going to keep this thread going, and post up the information I receive so we can finally get a documented success story on this.
Attached Files
CCC_EBA_Retrofit_E60.pdf (544.6 KB, 346 views)
Old 02-09-2013, 03:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

It's not that difficult if you use coding tools. A member here sells the fan harness. The MASK plug fits the CCC unit just fine. If you don't want to deal with pins and such, simply wire the fan to a switched 12v source - like the accessory outlet under the passenger foot well if you don't intend to listen to the radio without the car running for long periods. You can buy a gps antenna cheap that will fit the plug, simply mount it under the center-dash grill since there is no center speaker on your car, and finally code ZBE to low to keep your standard idrive controller. You can even use your existing video screen wire by filing down the orientation nipple. All this is easily searched for here and on BMW Coding Forum. I've done mine simply.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:24 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

just to add. the center console trim that you will need to replace i found some car parts seller on ebay i got brand new in black (but matches well with my tan interior) for 44.00, and looks to be original piece, box was sealed bmw and product also has the bmw part numbers molded on the inside of the piece like the original. i was shocked as people sell used ones for 150. got it this morning, installed on my lunch break and fit perfect!

2 more left for those needing one

BMW 51457063152 Instrument Panel Center Bezel | eBay

im not associated with the seller, just passing on a good deal as i was getting outrageous quotes for this piece
Old 02-10-2013, 12:59 AM
New Members

Hey All;

Ok, so just keeping this updated. Thanks so much advancedlogic for the forum, I'm reading though it extensively. Given I'd have to purchase a Windows XP Laptop to get NCS to work as well as the cable, I think that just paying someone to do the coding would be more cost effective. However, this website did lead me to someone in the Atlanta area who does coding for this sort of thing. I have already dispatched an email.

Just to consolidate information into one thread (I'll update OP when my swap is complete) the part number for the CCC fan cable is 61 12 0 396 722 and should be able to be ordered at any dealer.

Also --

For those of us who have dark Poplar Wood Trim, the correct part number to swap the bezel with ANOTHER Poplar Wood trim piece without the pocket is;

Last edited by Gatriel; 02-10-2013 at 01:19 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:51 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

If you are still in Germany you can order it there at a dealer. It's not available to be ordered in the USA. Kinda stupid if you ask me!
Old 02-10-2013, 05:14 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by tonyb635
If you are still in Germany you can order it there at a dealer. It's not available to be ordered in the USA. Kinda stupid if you ask me!
Thanks for the update. I'll drop by a local dealer and pick one up. I got a part number for the OEM fan, but its $72 for a $2.00 fan. What have you gentlemen done to get a fan up? Just grab a 40x40x20 and throw it on there?

Also, I've been thinking about the fitment of a LCI-CCC into my non-LCI car. Must I go with a non-LCI-CCC so as the matching bezel for my car will accommodate the dual DVD drives without the 1-6 memory presets, or can I go with a LCI-CCC, and swap out the middle bezel (see photo) above the wood trim and below the HVAC controls? If I were to swap the complete top of the bezel I would have to replace the HVAC controls so as to have proper fitment, and its a similar issue to the CiC swap I was considering.
Attached Thumbnails CCC without 6UA-b8c3_3.jpg  

Last edited by Gatriel; 02-10-2013 at 05:25 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:48 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

When you locate a CCC the fan should already be mounted on the unit. I would not buy a fan until you know for sure yours didn't come with one. Have you purchased your CCC and screen yet?

Quick Reply: CCC without 6UA