E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

cat bypass pipes....

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 01:39 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Jeffs' date='Oct 15 2005, 11:54 AM
[quote name='donv' date='Oct 15 2005, 12:57 AM'][quote name='Jeffs' date='Oct 14 2005, 02:15 AM']I was wondering if anyone had their catalytic converter removed. I tried searching around but could not find any manufacturer who sells it for the e60. Local exhaust shops won't do ir because they tell me it may well fail emissions and hence illegal. I asked fabspeed who did my old cayenne cat delete pipes and they say they could do it but they specialize in Porsches specifically. Anyone here has done that or anyone know any exhaust shop near your area who can sell me one of those???
[snapback]184061[/snapback]
Hi Jeffs:

I scanned what's above. But, did not see warranty mentioned. Are you concerned about your warranty? I would predict that if you do the things you are talking about that you will have warranty problems. I am going with no more than Dinan eventually offers and having my dealer, a Dinan certified shop, do the installation.
[snapback]184493[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes, I am worried about warranty as well. Good thing is I have a mechanic friend who does good work on my cars. I am still worrried though. But since the car has on supercharger, I hope the chances of engine blowout or failure will be smaller...
[snapback]184615[/snapback]
[/quote]
Good luck with your mods. Let us know what you do and if you try to have any warranty work after doing the mods and the outcomes.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Back in the early 90s, a friend of mine had a pretty tricked out Talon. He had hammered a piece of straight pipe that was the same length as his catalytic converter - right through the center of it. So from the outside, it appeared as if he had a cat installed, when in reality, there was a straight pipe inside. The pipe was just a tad under the diameter of the opening of the cat. Pretty much any modern car should pass emissions without a cat.

I think it's a federal offense for a mechanic shop to remove or reduce the function of a catalytic converter.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='Oct 17 2005, 10:45 PM
Back in the early 90s, a friend of mine had a pretty tricked out Talon.? He had hammered a piece of straight pipe that was the same length as his catalytic converter - right through the center of it.? So from the outside, it appeared as if he had a cat installed, when in reality, there was a straight pipe inside.? The pipe was just a tad under the diameter of the opening of the cat.? Pretty much any modern car should pass emissions without a cat.? ?

I think it's a federal offense for a mechanic shop to remove or reduce the function of a catalytic converter.
[snapback]185487[/snapback]
Exactly, that's why no shop in MA will do it. Fabspeed in New jersey say they can do that, and they have done tons of porsches and I was a customer so I am satisfied with their product quality. My local exhaust shop told me that they get a 200K fine or something like that if they remove my cats out, so they refused to do it on my car. i am currently checking out RD and supersprint, hope something nice comes up...