E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

cat bypass pipes....

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 11:15 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

I was wondering if anyone had their catalytic converter removed. I tried searching around but could not find any manufacturer who sells it for the e60. Local exhaust shops won't do ir because they tell me it may well fail emissions and hence illegal. I asked fabspeed who did my old cayenne cat delete pipes and they say they could do it but they specialize in Porsches specifically. Anyone here has done that or anyone know any exhaust shop near your area who can sell me one of those???
Old 10-13-2005, 11:49 PM
Members

How do you by pass cat cons that are integrated into the stock exhaust manifold? Or have you installed headers?

I have installed headers on my M54 engined 530i (which is RHD), and am waiting for HIOP to release their race cats so I can return the car to a legal, and, ironically, more powerful state of tune.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

Sorry but I do not get what u are saying. Hmmm...I am assuming by looking at the caalytic converter it 's the same as my Cayenne cats. u basically cut the cats out and custom make pipes right???? No one has done this before? Headers are an option I am still considering
Old 10-14-2005, 12:05 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Jeffs' date='Oct 14 2005, 03:53 PM
Sorry but I do not get what u are saying. Hmmm...I am assuming by looking at the caalytic converter it 's the same as my Cayenne cats. u basically cut the cats out and custom make pipes right???? No one has done this before? Headers are an option I am still considering
[snapback]184068[/snapback]
The cat cons are part of the stock exhaust manifold on the six cylinder M54's at least. I don't think it will be that easy to simply cut these suckers off.

It'll probably be cheaper (and a lot more effective) to install a set of headers and race cats if you intend to return your car back to a stock condition before getting rid of it.

Apparently, all european ecu's from 2001 onwards are designed to work better with cats installed, so just tossing the cats on new cars actually has a deleterious effect on horsepower. torque and fuel consumption. That's why I'm getting the race cats put in to my headers as soon as HIOP releases them.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:29 AM
Senior Members

Hmmmm.....so its no good to take the cats out then huh......ill definitely use that advice. Where do you get the race cats and headers from? I have never heard of HIOP before and this seems really interesting. I have been really interested in installing headers as well myself. Your car seems interesting. Aren't there rules against such stuff in singapore? I definitely gotta see your car and you when I am back in SG.....thanks for the advice it'll definitely come in handy
Old 10-14-2005, 01:14 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Jeffs' date='Oct 14 2005, 04:29 PM
Hmmmm.....so its no good to take the cats out then huh......ill definitely use that advice. Where do you get the race cats and headers from? I have never heard of HIOP before and this seems really interesting. I have been really interested in installing headers as well myself. Your car seems interesting. Aren't there rules against such stuff in singapore? I definitely gotta see your car and you when I am back in SG.....thanks for the advice it'll definitely come in handy
[snapback]184085[/snapback]
You lived in Sillypore before you went to the US IIRC. You know there are rules for everything. So what?

HIOP Race Tec is the only German tuner that makes RHD headers for BMW's. Their products are carried by former BMW technicians who want serious tuner parts, not designer fluff like ACS and Hamann.

LHD headers are much easier to come by, so you have a much bigger choice of suppliers in the US.

I like keeping a low profile in Sillypore (remember the rules) so I hardly ever take my car out by day. Besides, she runs much better at 26 deg C with the AC off than at 34 deg C with the AC on full blast.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 645Ci black/red, Eibach springs, K&N air filter, Wetterauer ECU upgrade, Eisenmann 83mmx4 exhaust, 20" Sportec wheels-Michelin PS2 tires, Hamann front add-on lip

Originally Posted by Jeffs' date='Oct 14 2005, 02:15 AM
I was wondering if anyone had their catalytic converter removed. I tried searching around but could not find any manufacturer who sells it for the e60. Local exhaust shops won't do ir because they tell me it may well fail emissions and hence illegal. I asked fabspeed who did my old cayenne cat delete pipes and they say they could do it but they specialize in Porsches specifically. Anyone here has done that or anyone know any exhaust shop near your area who can sell me one of those???
[snapback]184061[/snapback]

Hi, the E60 545ci has the catalytic converter build into one unit with the exhaust manifold. There is no way a muffler shop can cut the catalytic section and join it with a straight pipe. Furthermore, there is a few of the lamba proxy wiring connected to the catalytic to send information to the DME unit. Your engine might not functioning properly if you bypass the catalytic converter. You can upgrade to Racing dynamic competition exhaust manifold and 100-cell catalytic converter, plus they will provide you with an upgraded DME maximized your engine performance along with the manifold&catalytic upgrade. Hope this helps

If you want a louder exhaust you can bypass the front and center muffler/resonator!

http://www.racdyn.com/Localized/Internatio...t_E60_Motor.htm
Old 10-14-2005, 07:15 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by Jeffs' date='Oct 14 2005, 02:15 AM
No, but I sure want to. Just don't have the balls to do it. Would have to reinstall the cats for the Texas/Dallas emission test each year. It's a tough test.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:49 PM
Senior Members

JDN: I know its illegal and wont pass the smog test, that's why its good to build good relationships with your local gas station that does inspection
Old 10-14-2005, 04:50 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gasterus' date='Oct 14 2005, 06:49 AM
[quote name='Jeffs' date='Oct 14 2005, 02:15 AM']I was wondering if anyone had their catalytic converter removed. I tried searching around but could not find any manufacturer who sells it for the e60. Local exhaust shops won't do ir because they tell me it may well fail emissions and hence illegal. I asked fabspeed who did my old cayenne cat delete pipes and they say they could do it but they specialize in Porsches specifically. Anyone here has done that or anyone know any exhaust shop near your area who can sell me one of those???

Hi, the E60 545ci has the catalytic converter build into one unit with the exhaust manifold. There is no way a muffler shop can cut the catalytic section and join it with a straight pipe. Furthermore, there is a few of the lamba proxy wiring connected to the catalytic to send information to the DME unit. Your engine might not functioning properly if you bypass the catalytic converter. You can upgrade to Racing dynamic competition exhaust manifold and 100-cell catalytic converter, plus they will provide you with an upgraded DME maximized your engine performance along with the manifold&catalytic upgrade. Hope this helps

If you want a louder exhaust you can bypass the front and center muffler/resonator!

yo...selamat datang ke e60.net.

http://www.racdyn.com/Localized/Internatio...t_E60_Motor.htm
[snapback]184111[/snapback]
[/quote]

Quick Reply: cat bypass pipes....