E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Calling people who have H&R sway bars installed...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 08:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 BMW 525i Premium Package, Xenon Lighting Package, manual Transmission. Titanium Grey, 20% Tint around the back, 70% V-Kool on front. Planned mods: Style 71 wheels with Toyo Proxy 4 tires, Sachs suspension upgrade, upgraded stereo, and many more to come.

so i purchase a set of front and rear sway bars from tirerack for my non sport 525i. bring it to a shop who tried to install it for me. first thing we notice is that both bars looks quite thick and it seems to be for fronts. but we double check the box and one says front and one says rear.

so installed the front with no problem. however the rear doesn't fit. when we double check hrsprings.com the rear is supposed to be only 19mm, which this bar clearly is just as thick as the front ones. very frustrated......

here are my questions:

1. there's a stamped on string of numbers that is different from the E60 part numbers (70460 for front, 71460 for rear). i forgot to write down the numbers but it's something like 3XXXX-XX, i am just concerned that if the fronts is even the correct part! it looks just like stock and it fits fine, but can't tell for sure. i thought people said the front has 3 positions to adjust, but I only find two?! if i want it stiff I should use the inner holes?

2. is the adjustment similar on the rear when compare to the front (just deciding which mounting holes to use?)

waste me my time and also installation cost.... i hope tirerack can do the right thing for me (send me the right part, pay return shipping, hopefully reimburse my installation cost...)

wish me luck guys. car does seems to handle tigher with the upgrade front sway bars =P
btw, what do you do with the old one?
Old 04-02-2008, 09:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 BMW 525i Premium Package, Xenon Lighting Package, manual Transmission. Titanium Grey, 20% Tint around the back, 70% V-Kool on front. Planned mods: Style 71 wheels with Toyo Proxy 4 tires, Sachs suspension upgrade, upgraded stereo, and many more to come.

no one with sway bars?
here's my thought after driving it with the upgraded front ones
turn in is definitely tighter as i hit the ramp this morning, gives me more confidence on overtaking from the outer edge =P
i do notice the tail end can't keep up as well as the front
so for best result it's good to get both
but the front ones itself is worth it
Old 04-02-2008, 11:16 AM
Senior Members

Looking for ya

Fronts are 27mm, Rears 19mm the rear ones have 3 holes for adjustment the front have 2...

Whats the number stamped on the bar you have again?
Old 04-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Senior Members

The stamped wrong part is HR 33 367 VA
For the front ones I forgot to mark it down when I had it installed yesterday, but it is somewhat similar HR 3XXXXX VA (F), so it's nothing like the 70460 or 71460 part numbers...
So you can actually see the marking on the sway bars? I thought the fronts maybe covered by something?
it's good to hear that the front has two holes for adjustment. Just double checking, to get the stiffest setting we should use the inner holes (not the edge ones)?
what settings do you use?

Thanks again.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Senior Members

I am on full firm on front. I have stock rears. My Springs and struts help most of my rear roll. I'll look underneath mine to see what the front number is!
Old 04-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Senior Members

Well your 33 367 VA is a mercedes sway bar! OOPS! Call tire rack.

As for the fronts it should be 33426VA for the 70460 ( Kit Number)

and the 71460 rears should have 33426HA
Old 04-02-2008, 01:59 PM
Senior Members

no wonder it doesn't look right....
the 33426VA sounds right and it fits fine, so the full firm is on the inner hole?
btw, how do you find the correct part number? i looked at H&R and only find the 70460 and 71460 reference
also you can see the front ones without jacking up the car?
just contact tirerack and they will send me a new one tomorrow
thanks again.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Senior Members

I rang tech support at H&R!

Yes the hole nearest front for firmness. I thought they had distructions with them
Old 04-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Members

Originally Posted by kchan' post='554649' date='Apr 1 2008, 11:44 PM
so i purchase a set of front and rear sway bars from tirerack for my non sport 525i. bring it to a shop who tried to install it for me. first thing we notice is that both bars looks quite thick and it seems to be for fronts. but we double check the box and one says front and one says rear.

so installed the front with no problem. however the rear doesn't fit. when we double check hrsprings.com the rear is supposed to be only 19mm, which this bar clearly is just as thick as the front ones. very frustrated......

here are my questions:

1. there's a stamped on string of numbers that is different from the E60 part numbers (70460 for front, 71460 for rear). i forgot to write down the numbers but it's something like 3XXXX-XX, i am just concerned that if the fronts is even the correct part! it looks just like stock and it fits fine, but can't tell for sure. i thought people said the front has 3 positions to adjust, but I only find two?! if i want it stiff I should use the inner holes?

2. is the adjustment similar on the rear when compare to the front (just deciding which mounting holes to use?)

waste me my time and also installation cost.... i hope tirerack can do the right thing for me (send me the right part, pay return shipping, hopefully reimburse my installation cost...)

wish me luck guys. car does seems to handle tigher with the upgrade front sway bars =P
btw, what do you do with the old one?
I have full firm front, mid way for the rear. I understand full firm front will reduce body roll, but not understeer. That is ok for me to use on the street. If I ever decide to take it to the track, I may go soft on the front. Overall I feel I made a good move here.