E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!
View Poll Results: What brake pads are the best to use on our cars?
Axxis
25.00%
Hawk
6.67%
EBC - Yellow Stuff
3.33%
EBC - Red Stuff
10.00%
EBC - Green Stuff
5.00%
EBC - Ultimax
0%
Akebono
8.33%
Textar Centric
0%
Mintex
5.00%
Genuine OEM BMW
40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 09:13 AM
WJM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by anand_rahim' post='919820' date='Jun 22 2009, 10:41 AM
Hawk users, please chime in with a review.

I have the BMW Maintenance so I got the BMW OEM pads and rotors for free on the 530xit. No problems.

On my '98 M3 I have used Hawk HP Plus pads. I like the brake feel, stopping power and fade resistance with these pads. I have stuck with these for over 7+ yrs with no problems.
The trade off is some squeaking when hot. As far as I have observed they have about the same amount of dust as OEM if not less. I have not observed them being hard on the rotors either. I don't mind the dust or the squeaking.

The squeaking actually helps people to move out of your way in parking lots and cross walks. Instead of blowing the horn I just lightly touch my brakes and they hear me coming and politely move out of the way without being offended or startled.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='928385' date='Jun 30 2009, 03:46 AM
I'm researching this subject right now and came across a set of Pagid pads that are made exclusively for Bavarian Autosport. They are 79.99 USD for fronts and 54.99 for rears - IMO a pretty good deal. I spoke to a Pagid rep via email and he assured me that these are "race-inspired" performance pads and he also assured me that these will not wear out the rotors any more than OEM pads. IMHO, a pretty good deal, but I would like to see if anyone's ever used these and has anything (particularly, anything bad) to say about them...

I would love to hear more about this Pagid brake pad from Bav Auto and how it compares to BMW OEM brake pads. Has anyone used them before?
Old 07-06-2009, 11:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535xi Platinum Gray. M sport, Premium, Cold, Logic, PDC, Sirius, and Bamboo.

Do any of these pads, Axxis Deluxe in particular, shorten the lifespan of the OEM rotors?

As pads and rotors are free with BMW maintainance, aftermarket pads, might void maintainance warranty of rotors if they cause excessive wear, no?
Old 07-06-2009, 02:48 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

I have axxis deluxe which are great for low low dust, stopping power is good but not as good as oem. I've also heard good things aboput the akebono's
Old 07-08-2009, 06:20 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Pauken4' post='934280' date='Jul 6 2009, 02:56 PM
Do any of these pads, Axxis Deluxe in particular, shorten the lifespan of the OEM rotors?

As pads and rotors are free with BMW maintainance, aftermarket pads, might void maintainance warranty of rotors if they cause excessive wear, no?
IMO it depends on the composition of a pad. The OEM pads are a bit softer than say an Axxis Deluxe or other comparable pad, and my logic (correct me if I'm off here) is that a harder pad will wear the rotor down faster.

Knowing BMW, they might try to deny your rotors for warranty maintenance if they find out you used an after market pad, or did the brake pad change yourself. My suggestion would be to let BMW maintain the pads until the warranty is up on your car. After which you can make the call on a different pad and rotor.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 330I ZHP

I would recommend Stoptech Street Performance Pads or Performance Friction Z-Rated Pads. Very Close to OEM Stopping Power and Low Dusting Pads. These pads a way better then Hawks HPS Pads

-Anthony@BimmerBrakes
Old 04-01-2010, 02:47 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: 14 550i

Hi Anthony,

How come they are better? Also, why would someone want to buy something very close to OEM stopping power? That makes no sense.

Michael

Originally Posted by Anthony@BimmerBrakes
I would recommend Stoptech Street Performance Pads or Performance Friction Z-Rated Pads. Very Close to OEM Stopping Power and Low Dusting Pads. These pads a way better then Hawks HPS Pads

-Anthony@BimmerBrakes
Old 04-01-2010, 02:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
Hi Anthony,

How come they are better?

Michael
probably because they offer greater profit margin for him
Old 04-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 330I ZHP

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
Hi Anthony,

How come they are better? Also, why would someone want to buy something very close to OEM stopping power? That makes no sense.

Michael
Michael,

You still get the Same/Close Initial Bite with OEM pads but Same or Better Stopping Power. They are also low Dusting Pads. Most aftermarket pads have terrible Initial Bite. The only other one that compares to OEM but with low Dusting is Performance Friction Z-Rated Pads. These Pads also does great with Light Tracking. A-lot of my customer prefer them over Hawks HPS Pads. Now, if you don't care about dust. We can go with some Track Pads. Some Pagid Blacks, Hawks DT Pads, HP+, and etc.

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
probably because they offer greater profit margin for him
I wish... When, I sell them Front and Rear for $104 plus shipping (Current Special Pricing).

-Anthony@BimmerBrakes
Old 04-01-2010, 05:58 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: 14 550i

I'd love to see a side by side. Hook a member up with free pads and I'll do the same and see what they think?

Michael
Acute Performance

Originally Posted by Anthony@BimmerBrakes
Michael,

You still get the Same/Close Initial Bite with OEM pads but Same or Better Stopping Power. They are also low Dusting Pads. Most aftermarket pads have terrible Initial Bite. The only other one that compares to OEM but with low Dusting is Performance Friction Z-Rated Pads. These Pads also does great with Light Tracking. A-lot of my customer prefer them over Hawks HPS Pads. Now, if you don't care about dust. We can go with some Track Pads. Some Pagid Blacks, Hawks DT Pads, HP+, and etc.

I wish... When, I sell them Front and Rear for $104 plus shipping (Current Special Pricing).

-Anthony@BimmerBrakes

Quick Reply: Brake Pads