E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!
View Poll Results: What brake pads are the best to use on our cars?
Axxis
25.00%
Hawk
6.67%
EBC - Yellow Stuff
3.33%
EBC - Red Stuff
10.00%
EBC - Green Stuff
5.00%
EBC - Ultimax
0%
Akebono
8.33%
Textar Centric
0%
Mintex
5.00%
Genuine OEM BMW
40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 11:27 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by anand_rahim' post='914767' date='Jun 17 2009, 04:11 PM
Well if its not one thing its another. I have to change my pads, but I need the knowledgeable input of the forum. Which pads are the best for the following criteria:

1. I'm a daily driver and use my car mostly on the highway
2. I don't break hard all the time, only on occasion
3. Brake dust does not bother me
4. I'd prefer something close to or better than OEM in terms of stopping performance.

If you haven't used any of these brakes (excluding OEM), please don't vote based on someone else's review. I'm trying to get a solid perception based on the criteria above.

Thanks for the input!
Based on your objective criteria the #1 choice = Original BMW Pads! Don't forget the rotors ...
Old 06-19-2009, 11:40 AM
Senior Members

i have centric cross drilled/slotted rotors w/axxis ultimate pads....very pleased and a step up from OEM i think. I'm sometimes an aggresive driver and stopping power is good, hard braking from 100 to 50 or so is a little noisy for the 1st second or 2, but then its smooth (might be my rotors)...i've only had this set up for about 2k miles, but so far i'm happy with it.
I don't mind dust since i prefer stopping power too over dustless pads, and you will start to notice some dust after the 3rd or 4th day...
also don't forget to bed your brakes.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:00 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by anand_rahim' post='917173' date='Jun 19 2009, 07:53 PM
A note to the Mintex users:

I've done a little research and found these pads are some of the cheapest compared to the others in this list. What has been your experience with these pads? I know the company is a subsidiary of TMD Friction, but as far as quality goes, do they compare to the EBCs, Textars, and Pagids?
As said above, these are great, dont worry to much about it as they are better that OEM, IMO
Old 06-19-2009, 06:53 PM
Members

My experience: Stock, Axxis Deluxe, Cool Carbon.

I thought the stock brakes where excellent, but never had any track time with them. I hated having to clean my wheels once or twice between car washes.

I quickly went to the axxis deluxe pads and was completely happy with the low dusting. However, these pads are chamfered, and when brand new, they have less surface area that contacts the rotor, and this results in less stopping power than stock. I used them for about 1.5 years and they stopped fine, just not as good as stock.

This spring, in anticipation of attending a couple of driving schools, I got the Cool Carbons. They perform great when cold and at the track, however they do dust a little bit. Not nearly as bad as stock though. I did the installation and bedding myself, and I'm not sure why, but I do get some squealing from them during light braking. When I did the bedding, I was incorrectly allowing the ABS to activate during the near stops. I haven't had the time to re-bed or to reinstall with more anti brake squeal paint. I really do like the improved braking, but if I can't get the squealling to go away, I might go back to the axxis deluxe, unless somebody comes out with something that stops better and does not dust.

Good luck!
Old 06-20-2009, 01:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 530i 87 325is 85 VW GTI

Since you don't care about dust and it sounds like you don't drive your car hard i'd stay with factory pads. Jurid makes great pads as well but i'm not sure who makes the OEM pads for the e60.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Axxis Deluxe Advanced, great performance and virtually no dust .I've had them since new and swear they are the best mod ever !!
Old 06-22-2009, 06:41 AM
Contributors

Hawk users, please chime in with a review.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I'm researching this subject right now and came across a set of Pagid pads that are made exclusively for Bavarian Autosport. They are 79.99 USD for fronts and 54.99 for rears - IMO a pretty good deal. I spoke to a Pagid rep via email and he assured me that these are "race-inspired" performance pads and he also assured me that these will not wear out the rotors any more than OEM pads. IMHO, a pretty good deal, but I would like to see if anyone's ever used these and has anything (particularly, anything bad) to say about them...
Old 06-30-2009, 03:26 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by einstein57' post='918221' date='Jun 20 2009, 02:10 PM
... Jurid makes great pads as well but i'm not sure who makes the OEM pads for the e60.
Jurid, TEXTAR, or TRW .
Old 06-30-2009, 07:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: I have an 05 545i. It's a manual with a few options. This is my first BMW but I don't know how I'll ever be able to switch to something else.

I didn't vote, considering i have yet to change my pads on my car, but when I do I will def. not be buying the OEM ones again. All that graphite in them is great for braking, but puts out WAY to much brake dust for my taste. I'll be switching to some ceramic brake pads, dunno which brand yet. But i would recommended finding some good ceramic ones, they are usually just as good as the OEM ones but w/o all the graphite dust

Quick Reply: Brake Pads