E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Brake Caliper Covers

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 12:14 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

no surprise when people are willing to skimp on ingredients to save a fraction of a penny on eggs, milk, etc, even if it kills babies and others
Old 10-29-2008, 02:03 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

I'll probably regret this, as I have been criticized (openly called a fraud and hypocrite by one forum member, which I admit I took very personally and let things get out of hand) in the past, but I have the plain Cal Covers from Bav Auto. I bought red ones b/c my car is silver with silver wheels and I wanted to add some color (also, the blue ones, which are the same color as the roundel were out of stock at the time my new wheels/tires arrived--now discontinued I think). Then I added the red reflectors for the same effect, and to match the covers, although those add safety, too.

The covers are aluminum and powder coated and are stuck on with heated, double-sided tape in a kit. I think it was about $130. I have had these on my car for exactly one year tomorrow, and they have not budged through four seasons of driving in temps between 8F and 98F and plenty of washing. They do not affect heat dissipation or brake performance in any way as confirmed by my SA, whom I consulted prior to my purchase. I think they do a nice job of covering the utilitarian brake bits of my standard brakes, plus it saved me time/mess on painting.

No, I don't have any Brembo stickers, nor am I trying to convince anyone that I have fancy brakes. It's just a little color piece I put on that I don't see as being all that different from my 124s (from a 550) or my M5 style spoiler. I'm just personalizing my car in a simple way. I don't have any real "mods" like some of you guys, just a few things that can be stuck on or installed in a few minutes. I have no desire to mislead anyone with anything on my car. I have Euro turn stickers also BTW, but no one has criticized me about that--yet.

Go ahead, attack all you want. Everybody on here likes to say "to each his own" with the exception of this one topic. I'm just throwing in my 2 cents worth. I am through arguing about this. If forum members take exception with my Cal Covers, fine, don't buy them.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Contributors

its not a question of "each to there own"

its a question of safty, these things just stick on over your brake calipers...right next to your wheels....and you say they are alluminium? thats even worse than the cheap plastic ones...if these become dislodged you might die...perion or even kill someone else

they are illegal in germany with there strict TUV laws....WHY? because its madness to put a stick on peice of alloy on your breaks..if they dislodge and stick inbetween your disc and wheel you could loose control of your steering.

what price you/others safty?
you made the right choice with your car, how can you even consider these?
very cheap, very nasty, very dangerious.

sorry you need to think about "what if" with your brakes/discs & wheels

rant over.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Originally Posted by Dr Dave' post='706948' date='Oct 29 2008, 05:40 PM
its not a question of "each to there own"

its a question of safty, these things just stick on over your brake calipers...right next to your wheels....and you say they are alluminium? thats even worse than the cheap plastic ones...if these become dislodged you might die...perion or even kill someone else

they are illegal in germany with there strict TUV laws....WHY? because its madness to put a stick on peice of alloy on your breaks..if they dislodge and stick inbetween your disc and wheel you could loose control of your steering.

what price you/others safty?
you made the right choice with your car, how can you even consider these?
very cheap, very nasty, very dangerious.

sorry you need to think about "what if" with your brakes/discs & wheels

rant over.
What, did Bono take the night off? Yeah, I'd better remove the rear spoiler as well. It's also applied with double-sided tape, although a much weaker version than the calipers use (which actually is a heat-activated compund, not tape really). Imagine what would happen if that big thing flew off going down the highway? I wonder if any other forum members have considered this? Thank you so much for enlightening me that I am driving a killing machine. PS: I could give a f*ck about the laws in Germany. TUV laws take into account Autobahn driving speeds and their derivative expectations we do not have here in the US. Cheers!
Old 10-29-2008, 03:51 PM
Contributors

This is entertaining
Old 10-29-2008, 03:52 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='706092' date='Oct 29 2008, 12:15 AM
IMO, don't do it..it's like slapping an M badge on your car....

If it's just a plain color, it's alright I think....no "brembo" stamp

Some members have actually painted there calipers black with the BMW stencil in white...there are some nice DIY threads on it...GL with your decision...
+1
Old 10-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by CWS530' post='706905' date='Oct 29 2008, 06:03 PM
I'll probably regret this, as I have been criticized (openly called a fraud and hypocrite by one forum member, which I admit I took very personally and let things get out of hand) in the past, but I have the plain Cal Covers from Bav Auto. I bought red ones b/c my car is silver with silver wheels and I wanted to add some color (also, the blue ones, which are the same color as the roundel were out of stock at the time my new wheels/tires arrived--now discontinued I think). Then I added the red reflectors for the same effect, and to match the covers, although those add safety, too.

The covers are aluminum and powder coated and are stuck on with heated, double-sided tape in a kit. I think it was about $130. I have had these on my car for exactly one year tomorrow, and they have not budged through four seasons of driving in temps between 8F and 98F and plenty of washing. They do not affect heat dissipation or brake performance in any way as confirmed by my SA, whom I consulted prior to my purchase. I think they do a nice job of covering the utilitarian brake bits of my standard brakes, plus it saved me time/mess on painting.

No, I don't have any Brembo stickers, nor am I trying to convince anyone that I have fancy brakes. It's just a little color piece I put on that I don't see as being all that different from my 124s (from a 550) or my M5 style spoiler. I'm just personalizing my car in a simple way. I don't have any real "mods" like some of you guys, just a few things that can be stuck on or installed in a few minutes. I have no desire to mislead anyone with anything on my car. I have Euro turn stickers also BTW, but no one has criticized me about that--yet.

Go ahead, attack all you want. Everybody on here likes to say "to each his own" with the exception of this one topic. I'm just throwing in my 2 cents worth. I am through arguing about this. If forum members take exception with my Cal Covers, fine, don't buy them.
Do you have pictures of your caliper covers from Bav Auto? If so ...Please post
Old 10-29-2008, 04:11 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Speed_Force_E60' post='706992' date='Oct 29 2008, 06:54 PM
Do you have pictures of your caliper covers from Bav Auto? If so ...Please post
The timebomb/poseur product ready to deceive and kill:

Oh, the humanity! Lock up your kids! Turn away lest your moral outrage get the better of you! Save yourselves! Be happy knowing you're better than me!

Seriously, I'm out of this topic. Geez, I knew better!
Old 10-29-2008, 04:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by Speed_Force_E60' post='706986' date='Oct 30 2008, 07:51 AM

This is entertaining
+1 that what I like about this forum
Old 10-29-2008, 04:35 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by CWS530' post='707003' date='Oct 29 2008, 07:11 PM
The timebomb/poseur product ready to deceive and kill:

Oh, the humanity! Lock up your kids! Turn away lest your moral outrage get the better of you! Save yourselves! Be happy knowing you're better than me!

Seriously, I'm out of this topic. Geez, I knew better!
eh, i like the fake brembos better but these are ok (Lookwise)... they certainly don't look like they could kill you but will definitely **** someone elses car up if it were ever to get loose on the freeway. I've seen road debris bigger and hunkier than this so I dont see what the big "safety" concern is about, if anything get's locked up in your brakes PULL THE "Oh SHIT" E-BRAKE! LOL

Quick Reply: Brake Caliper Covers