E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Bought a pair of DWS tires for the winter

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 530xi Jet Black

I love the Conti DWS, I live in Pittsburgh and got them on less than a week before the Massive snow storm. Saved in the nic' of time!
Old 07-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Members

My Ride: 550i
Model Year: 2014
Engine: 550i

Originally Posted by corey
Which RFTs did you have?
Dunlop RFT from BMW Dealer
Old 07-11-2010, 07:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Part of me thinks that with the mild(ish) winters we've been having in NYC and the X-drive, the A/S DWS tires may have been unnecessary. I'd much rather get higher performance tires. But after all said and done, they get the job done without too many complaints.

Took the car to Philly last night to take my girl to see Sting with the Royal Philharmonic in Camden - the tires pretty much made the ride. Where I'd be hopping and jarring with the RFTs, the Bimmer glided over NJ turnpike like it was floating on air. Ramps slowed me down some more than usual though - I guess I still have a little bit of beef with the reduced limits of handling. But overall, I think these tires transform the ride from edgy to compliant. Negative in my book, but positive to the people I transport. I managed to find a couple of stretches where I went way up to the posted limit of... err... a LOT faster than most of you would go when topping out and I've gotta tell, I felt that even at buck-twenty, buck-thirty the ride was would be supple There was one interesting moment where I was passing a very retarded driver who wouldn't let me through (WTF is that about, BTW?!) and it forced me to gain speed to the vicinity of buck-ten in the right lane. And guess who was sitting on the shoulder? a nice white crown vic without any markings. Extremely lucky for me, I did not get delayed by any unwanted "stops", but a lesson after all - maybe, just may be, a built-in V1 for these highway drives is not a bad idea... but I digress, back to the tires: they are awesome, by now they are all broken in. The only thing I've noticed - which I'm sure is not caused by the tires - ever since I've had these mounted, I get some wobbling in the steering wheel around 65mph. It is barely perceptible - only feel it at certain angles at about 65mph. I know that if it occurs only at certain speeds, more likely than not it is a matter of balancing. But the thing is, I've had these wheels road-force balanced TWICE already. The wobble is still there. Will be looking at the control arms soon to see if maybe that's the problem.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:37 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Joon, I haven't heard anything about DWS developing bubbles excessively. The pair that I've had on my car for a few months now looks good as new after a few thousand miles.

Mind you, my RFT's bubbled ALL the time. If there's a tire that's prone to bubbling, its the RFT! At least the second generation Bridgestone RFTs - those are the only one model of RFTs that I have first hand experience with.

k good...

well hope u dont come to meet again with spare on when i come upto nyc next time
Old 07-11-2010, 10:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Vlad, what you are reporting is typical of an all season tire. Quiet, great ride on the highway but less than stellar performance handling. The exception to that rule seems to be the Michelin Pilot Sport AS which several of our respected members who drive hard dig.

Sounds like the DWS is a fine tire unless you are wilding on the twisties. I'm into the twisties so I could only roll on a summer performance tire during the non winter months.

My Hankooks will never have the treadwear life of a UHP all season but they do not ride harsh at all. They give an excellent ride.