E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Bought a pair of DWS tires for the winter

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 04:55 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

One of my RFTs blew. AGAIN and I decided it is finally time to get away from RFTs. Went to the local Hunter-equipped tire shop and ordered two Conti DWS tires. The guy had them in stock, but I had to split, so I won't have the car back till the morning. I did see the tires that are going on my car and they look like no other tire - the tread pattern looks different. The sidewall felt very soft upon my "hand-squeeze" test, which is really my only concern - though I'm really hoping it will not be an issue, since these well be my winter/wet wheels. Their ratings are through the roof on Tire Rack - particularly for the wet and snow. Which is why I chose these as my winter set. When the next winter rolls around, I'll buy another pair and complete the set - for now I wanted to keep costs to the minimum because I'm planning to get a set of 19s for the summer.

The DWS's for my OEM 123s in 245/40ZR18 ran me 170 each - that is installed and Road Force balanced. Which is an ok deal, considering the guy has the tires in stock and its two blocks from my house.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:13 PM
Senior Members

Congrats. Getting away from RFTs is a HUGE difference. Run flat technology is garbage.

I can vouch for the quality of these tires, I had them on all winter, and drove in the worst of the crap we had in NYC.

Good luck with the summer wheels!
Old 03-11-2010, 09:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

I am very happy to hear that you are ditching the RFTs Vlad.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:23 AM
Contributors

So the water finally dried off after all the rain we've had, and I've had a chance to finally give these a small work-out on a couple of on/off ramps.

Impressions:

-sidewall flex galore!

-tire hangs on, but does it in an often alarming way near limit. Guess that's how it communicates way ahead of breaking traction.

-actually never broke these loose, but I wasn't trying to. Still, couple of turns were pretty hard (about 7.5 out of 10).

During normal and wet driving, initial impressions:

If I had to characterize these tires in one word, I'd say perfect. But perfect for normal driving and wet/snow.
Having these as my winter set, they are - again - "perfect" for their intended purpose. As a trackday tire, these don't come close to the RFTs with their stiff sidewalls. These sidewalls flex and it makes the ride a whole lot more comfortable and less nervous around town. Quite paradoxical - they have soft sidewalls, yet loads of grip. The grip seems to be endless - even when pushed harder, and they get the job done. Any job - no BS, no whining - just get it done. They are the opposite of the glamorous high-maintenance Potenza RFTs. I admit, I actually like it about these tires.

Again, my only gripe - if that could even be called that - is that the sidewalls are soft and flex easy. Aside from that, these are performing outstandingly. And since I plan to get a summer set (hopefully, soon), I don't mind the softness in the least bit - its even better this way, protects the rims better when its pothole galore (like now). I'm also planning to play around with the tire pressures to see if maybe I can negate the sidewall flex a little.

I'll be updating this thread periodically as I get more time with these tires.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:22 AM
Contributors

Just adding to the original thread, a little while ago, I've finally installed DWS tires on all four wheels. Over-inflated them to 35 up front and 40 in the back.

The tires are very quiet and soft. They behave EXCELLENT, if you don't run your car at limits. I would definitely NOT go to a driving meet with these though. And there is where the only problem, I've discovered so far with the DWS, is - these are not extreme performance tires. Nah-ah they are definitely the least handling tires I've ever tried on my E60. In all fairness, I should say they are the only all-season tires I've ever run on my E60. Still, I expected better handling.

Handling. Now, these tires have NEVER lost grip on me - and I've taken a few ramps intentionally fast with them. So why am I bitching about the handling? Because their soft-as-butter sidewalls roll and hop like a hillbilly on speed. Unsettling? Just a little bit. But ultimately, it leads to loss of confidence in the car and basically leaves me driving like a grandpa. The traction control light can come on just from going over a few bumps in a row, too - what is that about?

The good? Yes, there's plenty of good about these tires! Plenty! Hence I purchased them as my "winter" setup. They NEVER EVER EVER give any problems, if you aren't pushing the car. They hold the road excellent in ALL conditions. Bar none! So for a winter setup, its a small price to pay - to have to deal with the loss of handling at the very edge - which most people will never even know how far it is in their cars, let's be honest. And again, they've NEVER broken traction on me. Never. For reference, I've broken traction on my old runflats a couple of times under similar loads. The DWS's - amazingly enough for such a soft tire - communicate the road to the steering wheel MORE than my RFTs used to. Yes, MORE! They absorb bumps and potholes without ANY dramma - a very welcome change after the jarring ride of RFTs. They are absolutely compliant and quiet in all conditions - rain, snow or shine!

There's a minor "beef" with them, if you like to put tire shine on your tires - when new, they don't hold any tire shine longer than a couple of hours. After a few applications though, they hold the shine just where I like it - they show some shine, but not so much that it'd make you think that someone actually applied any shine.

So after a few thousand miles on these, I'm still recommending these. The only people I would NOT recommend them to are those who expect to run their cars at full tilt on these. You are gonna want to get some nice summer tires for that. Or even the RFT's - after all said and done, I've still yet to find a better tire for at-the-limit handling than the RFTs. But there are so many tires I've yet to try my next tire review will likely be of the Falken 452s when I get my 19s. Which, hopefully, will happen before this season is over
Old 07-09-2010, 06:48 AM
Senior Members

apparently the side wall is too weak on these tires and cause alot of bubbles ....

careful vlad... make sure there is no bubble on your tire
Old 07-09-2010, 07:06 AM
Senior Members

I am looking to get some DWS for daily use. I love the Hankooks but I wore them to 5/32 in less than 6 months ofcourse running at willow springs didnt help. Good writeup.

For your summer get the Hankook Ventus K12 you'll love them..It was these hands down; the falkens are to heavy save yourself the 4lbs
Old 07-10-2010, 06:01 AM
Members

My Ride: 550i
Model Year: 2014
Engine: 550i

Just replaced all my RFTs with the DWS this past Monday (245/18 front & 275/18 rear).

They make a HUGE difference in ride comfort. In addition, road noise is at a MUCH lower level. The bone jarring feeling that one gets going over potholes is gone, hence good shock attenuation which may translate into longer life for suspension components and the wheel.

I'll agree with v_therussian' analysis even though I have not tried to push the DWS tires to their limits.

My old RFTs only lasted about 12K miles. The DWS are warrantied for 6 years/50K miles.

Definitely good tire. Purchased the 4 DWS at Warren Discount Tire.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:34 AM
Contributors

Joon, I haven't heard anything about DWS developing bubbles excessively. The pair that I've had on my car for a few months now looks good as new after a few thousand miles.

Mind you, my RFT's bubbled ALL the time. If there's a tire that's prone to bubbling, its the RFT! At least the second generation Bridgestone RFTs - those are the only one model of RFTs that I have first hand experience with.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Car

Originally Posted by ademak
Just replaced all my RFTs with the DWS this past Monday (245/18 front & 275/18 rear).

They make a HUGE difference in ride comfort. In addition, road noise is at a MUCH lower level. The bone jarring feeling that one gets going over potholes is gone, hence good shock attenuation which may translate into longer life for suspension components and the wheel.

I'll agree with v_therussian' analysis even though I have not tried to push the DWS tires to their limits.

My old RFTs only lasted about 12K miles. The DWS are warrantied for 6 years/50K miles.

Definitely good tire. Purchased the 4 DWS at Warren Discount Tire.
Which RFTs did you have?

Quick Reply: Bought a pair of DWS tires for the winter