E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

BMW Ipod Interface for Idrive cars announced

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 07:26 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 M5, Silver Grey, Silverstone Full Leather, Alumium trim, Active/Ventilated Comfort Seats, HUD, Comfort Access, Split Rear Seats, Rear Seat Heating, etc.

I would not hold my breath for a bluetooth solution. Steve Jobs has publicly said it's a tough nut to crack with Bluetooth 1, that the sound quality isn't good enough, but that maybe once Bluetooth 2.0 is approved/finalized it could happen. And even then, it probably will only be introduced in the top-of-the-line model, and will take a year to trickle down to the nano, etc... Plus it would be a drop in the bucket compared to the existing (non-bluetooth) ipods already out there. So for BMW to then add support for it, work out compatibility issues with cellphones, etc.... not gonna happen any time soon. Look at how long it took for a semi-functional dock-based solution to appear for the E60... 3 or 4 years?

A third-party vendor recently introduced a bluetooth adaptor for dock-based ipods, but it was as big as the ipod itself, and then of course there's the issue of charging... and who knows what it sounds like.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by jdubbs' post='269082' date='Apr 14 2006, 11:26 AM
I would not hold my breath for a bluetooth solution. Steve Jobs has publicly said it's a tough nut to crack with Bluetooth 1, that the sound quality isn't good enough, but that maybe once Bluetooth 2.0 is approved/finalized it could happen. And even then, it probably will only be introduced in the top-of-the-line model, and will take a year to trickle down to the nano, etc... Plus it would be a drop in the bucket compared to the existing (non-bluetooth) ipods already out there. So for BMW to then add support for it, work out compatibility issues with cellphones, etc.... not gonna happen any time soon. Look at how long it took for a semi-functional dock-based solution to appear for the E60... 3 or 4 years?

A third-party vendor recently introduced a bluetooth adaptor for dock-based ipods, but it was as big as the ipod itself, and then of course there's the issue of charging... and who knows what it sounds like.

I'm not sure how many times I have to repeat this before everyone catches on... I have no desire to pass audio via bluetooth - that's A2DP. I -do- however want to pass the control information via bluetooth, that's AVRCP. That is very easy - even with BT 1.X. The whole reason we're getting saddled with a changer swapout is because the control plane embedded into the CD changer system is an attractive thing to take advantage of. Move the control plane elsewhere (wireless) and all of a sudden it doesn't make as much sense to sacrifice the CD changer.

I'm surprised that I'm still surprised by Jobs' hubris. Jobs doesn't have the luxury of -deciding- what devices get what features and when. Apple is already lagging behind on feature innovation with its iPod line. Competing devices have been announced that already support A2DP and AVRCP, meaning that Apple is playing catch up. Luckily, the main parts supplier for the iPods has released a chipset that should bring the functionality on board.

Samsung and BMW already did a joint press release for one of Samsung's phones claiming that the 5 series would do both A2DP and AVRCP to permit wireless MP3 playback from the phone handset. I think it was a bit premature and know of no one who has confirmed its existence, but the solution was far enough along to warrant the press release. That means the profiles exist in some "in-testing" form somewhere. BMW has also played with A2DP for its motorcycle helmets, etc...

All I'm suggesting is that once Apple releases its bluetooth iPods, that BMW add an AVRCP profile that supports the iPod line -only-. That should be very easy. If they feel ambitious, they can chase down compatibility with some other devices.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:15 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='268692' date='Apr 13 2006, 08:58 PM
No, you're correct - they seem to imply Sirius can coexist, but the charts claim otherwise.
I too am dissappointed with this offering. We've been made to wait far too long for this strange amalgam.

Clearly, they leveraged the connector and control underpinnings for the changer. Given the considerable reuse this afforded, I am baffled it took them so long. The CD1-CD6 thing is a little low rent IMO. I think this product -should- be a temporary transition item until we see bluetooth-enabled iPods. AVRCP should be a simple addition to the E60's list of bluetooth profiles and would provide a sideband for the control info. It probably still makes the most sense to hardwire the audio along with the power.
BMW - are you listening? You need to be working with Apple on this -now-.
Ideally, I'd like to see the changer go MP3 -and- have the iPod connector. CDRs are cheap - I don't mind leaving those in the car or duplicating them. Dragging the iPod around, in and out of the car... that is fine too, but it would be nice to have a large cache of tunes for when the iPod isn't "along for the ride".
Just watched the video here:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=24556&hl=

Seems pretty definite that this works along side Siruis and HD radio (so what since we don't have this in the UK!), but not CD changer (or so it seems to me).

Looking at the set up, it actually seems better than I expected, but I still don't consider that it offers me much more than my current set up via aux in.

I like the idea of plugging in the ipod in the glove box from a security point of view, but not practically since it means I can't, plug it in after I drive off.

I also like the idea of seeing my song details on the screen.

However, control does seem clunky, I still think there is an excellent opportunity to exactly replicate the click wheel in I drive, without this playlist CD1 nonsense. I also can't see the technical problem with this as the i-drive already functions with menus and sub menus - just like the ipod.

With my installation I can reach the clickwheel as easily as I can reach the idrive controller. The only thing I don't get is auto pause for traffic info or phone interuptions.

I expect the volume differences still to be present as well.

All in all, if this had been available I would have gone for it, but I have no interest in upgrading.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

ahhh! this info is so confusing/misleading/incomplete/annoying!

guess we'll just have to wait for some real facts...

or maybe i should just give up on mp3s all together and instead make my exhaust even louder so i can just listen to my engine!
Old 04-14-2006, 10:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='269164' date='Apr 14 2006, 02:21 PM
ahhh! this info is so confusing/misleading/incomplete/annoying!

guess we'll just have to wait for some real facts...

or maybe i should just give up on mp3s all together and instead make my exhaust even louder so i can just listen to my engine!
By golly I do believe you've hit on the ideal solution
Old 04-18-2006, 05:18 AM
Members

According to BMW UK those of us in Europe might have to wait a little longer as the Ipod integration is currently restricted to BMW NA.

This is their response...

"Please accept our apologies for the delay in the the production of fully integrated iPod functionality for the BMW 5 Series. The article you have read may currently be restricted to the United States but we can advise that Apple and BMW are working closely together to introduce MP3 functionality to the UK also.

We can confirm that currently you will need to purchase a 3.5mm double ended jack lead which is available from any High Street electrical or MP3 store , priced approximately ? 10.00 . This will allow limited iPod or MP3 player functionality. The functionality is to provide volume via the speaker system for your iPod or MP3 player, a ll other controlling functions will have to be carried out via the device .

Additionally, we would also suggest that you register your interest with your BMW Dealership who will be able to confirm to you as and when this option becomes available.

We hope this information has been of some assistance to you."

My E60 doesn't arrive until June 21st so hopefully they have a release date for the UK by then
Old 04-18-2006, 09:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '06 530xi

Disregard
Old 04-18-2006, 10:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by blinkme_210' post='270665' date='Apr 18 2006, 01:40 PM
I think this BMW rep has his information mixed up, I don't think he really knows what he's talk about.

1)First off, you can't control the iPod through a 3.5mm jack, it only serves as sound output.
2)If the audio input is through analog input, the sound quality isn't digital and won't be any better than the existing AUX input solution.
3)Lastly, if what the rep says is true, then there is really no point to get the iPod interface besides to get iDrive integration. But then again, that is what most people desire.
I believe this dealer is responding with two pieces of information:
1) The new fully integrated system is announced for the the US market in July and they hope to have it soon as well (probably after July) in UK,
2) RIGHT NOW, you can use only the 3.5mm jack .... (AUX INPUT to us) just as he describes in his 2nd paragraph. They are NOT ascribing these features to the NEW soon to come system.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:38 AM
Members

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='270679' date='Apr 18 2006, 07:08 PM
I believe this dealer is responding with two pieces of information:
1) The new fully integrated system is announced for the the US market in July and they hope to have it soon as well (probably after July) in UK,
2) RIGHT NOW, you can use only the 3.5mm jack .... (AUX INPUT to us) just as he describes in his 2nd paragraph. They are NOT ascribing these features to the NEW soon to come system.
Yep thats how i read it. The 3.5mm jack is for the Aux and the full Ipod Integration will be available in the UK sometime after July once it has been launched in US.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Honestly guys I am happy for you to have this

but in June I will already have the dension in my car, hooking up my archos or any other device also my pendrive etc or any of all Ipods. So BMW is a bit late and I am not so fan of Ipod it is a monopoly on the market forced by USA sorry that is MAC power. But there are much more and better than Ipod out there...

Quick Reply: BMW Ipod Interface for Idrive cars announced