E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

BMW Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 06:59 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Performance Center Delivery May 19, 2006: 2007 BMW 550i, Black Saphire, Beige Interior with Poplar Wood, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Access, Navigation, Power Shades, SMG, M Aero Package, Rear Heating,
I am considering buying BMW Clear Bra for my 07' 550i. Does anyone have this installed? Is it worth it? Any problems?
Old 04-15-2006, 07:36 PM
Members

I am assuming you mean the clear bra. I have the Llumar brand, and am extremely happy with it. If anyone is looking for a contact to instal in Sonoma County, feel free to PM me.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:39 PM
Members

My Ride: Performance Center Delivery May 19, 2006: 2007 BMW 550i, Black Saphire, Beige Interior with Poplar Wood, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Access, Navigation, Power Shades, SMG, M Aero Package, Rear Heating,

Originally Posted by Stoley' post='269659' date='Apr 15 2006, 10:36 PM
I am assuming you mean the clear bra. I have the Llumar brand, and am extremely happy with it. If anyone is looking for a contact to instal in Sonoma County, feel free to PM me.
Yes that is what I am talking about. What other brands are there and which one is the best? What parts did you use it on? Are the expensive?
Old 04-15-2006, 07:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535ixT � On Order: 2010 E61, Ordered 1/05, Est. Birth 3/09, Est. Delivery 4/09, Carbon Black, Cream Beige Dakota Leather, Steptronic, M-Sport Pkg., Type 135 18
Model Year: 2010

Yes, fortunately!

I had installed on my new 530xiT at about 135 miles. (see: http://www.armorglove.com/ )

Two days later, as I was driving south on I-95 I was passing a trash hauling 18-wheeler, when a piece of junk flew from the top of the trailer. It looked like a 6 inch by 3 foot canvas tube. :'(

I could only think of a snake as it billowed its way down and into the front of the car. When it hit my NEW CAR, the tube gave off a puff of white powder - perhaps it had contained plaster. At that point the car had only 225 miles on the odometer.

When I stopped, I could see that the only harm to my baby was a slight ding in the DuPont plastic ? the car's paint was OK.

I would certainly recommend the stuff.

EDIT 5/10/06: The Armor Glove folks repaced my front film, under warranty, due to an unrelated problem. When I looked at the front of my car, after the repair had been completed - I saw NO chip or scratch from the flying tube. The Armor Glove had protected the paint!
Old 04-15-2006, 07:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535ixT � On Order: 2010 E61, Ordered 1/05, Est. Birth 3/09, Est. Delivery 4/09, Carbon Black, Cream Beige Dakota Leather, Steptronic, M-Sport Pkg., Type 135 18
Model Year: 2010

The Armorglove folks say that the DuPont film does not yellow from UV light, but that the 3M stuff does.

I have no personal knowledge either way.

BTW I would recommend that you have a pro install the suff on an E60/E61. From my observation, it was not a job for an amateur.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:00 PM
Members

Yes, definately have a pro do it...generally NOT the dealer. It will run you $600-$1000...mine came with a lifetime warranty against yellowing, cracking, peeling off, etc.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

All the various brands of clear bra are made by the same handful of manufacturers, such as 3M and Dupont. Are you refering to a BMW-branded version that's installed at the dealer? If so, I assume it'd be more expensive, just due to the renaming. All the exotic car owners I know use the original 3M. Also, make sure you get it installed by an independent shop who specializes in clear bra. Some installers are good, some are bad, some can do custom jobs, some can hide the seams to make it 99% invisible.

Clear bra does really help against rock chips. Get it.

FYI: I have heard from one of the best detailers on the East Coast that the next generation clear bra is now available. It is sprayed on, and hardens to become a film. I have not seen it myself yet, but its supposed to allow even more complex custom jobs to be done.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:41 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='269684' date='Apr 16 2006, 12:33 AM
All the various brands of clear bra are made by the same handful of manufacturers, such as 3M and Dupont. Are you refering to a BMW-branded version that's installed at the dealer? If so, I assume it'd be more expensive, just due to the renaming. All the exotic car owners I know use the original 3M. Also, make sure you get it installed by an independent shop who specializes in clear bra. Some installers are good, some are bad, some can do custom jobs, some can hide the seams to make it 99% invisible.

Clear bra does really help against rock chips. Get it.

FYI: I have heard from one of the best detailers on the East Coast that the next generation clear bra is now available. It is sprayed on, and hardens to become a film. I have not seen it myself yet, but its supposed to allow even more complex custom jobs to be done.

Thanks. OK I am sold and will get clear bra. Now the next question is which brand is the best 3M, Dupont, ..anyone else? Who makes the next generation clear bra? Does anyone have recommendation for dealers in Illinois ( Naperville, Oakbrook, Westmont, etc..)
Old 04-16-2006, 03:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

If that is the case.... why not have a new car sprayed in its entirety before taking delivery? Seems like it could keep the paint in factory condition much longer?
Old 04-16-2006, 07:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='269744' date='Apr 16 2006, 07:57 AM
If that is the case.... why not have a new car sprayed in its entirety before taking delivery? Seems like it could keep the paint in factory condition much longer?
Some owners do indeed have their new cars trucked to the detailer for the film before they take 1st drive it.

Quick Reply: BMW Clear Bra