E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

BMW 550 or 535 with Dinan software

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 04:09 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by bobster52' post='566119' date='Apr 22 2008, 06:57 PM
By the way, both of my local authorized BMW dealers (Phoenix,AZ) have stopped doing Dinan Flashes on 335's and 535's!
Not to stir the pot, but my dealer has stopped doing Dinan upgrades as well, both software and hardware. The comment I got at the time was that BMW was coming out with their own performance products. While only the E90 has offerings so far, my dealer indicated that stuff for the E60 and others was coming. I have no other knowledge beyond this but it would not surprise me to see BMW trying to take the market from Dinan for itself. We'll see what really happens...
Old 04-22-2008, 04:21 PM
Members

I was told by my dealer that they have stopped doing Dinan flashes because of emissions issues. That information was supplied to all service managers at the dealership today. The person I talked to said that the changes created by the reflash may be illegal as far as emissions are concerned. I don't know if he is reffering to federal or state emissions. I also read the same thing on N54tech.com coming from a dealer in another part of the country.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:33 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by bimmerturn' post='566090' date='Apr 22 2008, 06:34 PM
Ok my 2 cents

I drove 335, 535, and 550 (I had the 335 for about 6 months before I switched back to 550i) and I felt the turbo lag with no doubt in both the 335 and 535. Both 335 and 535 have great power once they hook in but not close to the immediate power of the 550i.

All are great cars for different minds, I choose 550i for power, looks, V8 sound, handling, and best of all no need to modify in any way or shape.
I think the turbo lag misnomer is getting misstated because its misunderstood. A turbo has an turbine in the exhaust header and when the exhaust gases pass the turbine it spins the turbine exactly like when you blow on a pin wheel. Turbo lag is the time it takes for the exhaust gases to build velocity, which spins the turbine, which is attached to the impeller that spins and compresses the air intake charge.
Two things made turbo lag very pronounced in the last generation of turbo engines. One was the mass of the turbine and impeller, which were relatively very heavy. Second was the time needed to increase the exhaust velocity needed to create boost.
BMW in the current generation turbo engine has utilized very light weight material for the turbine and impeller and using two smaller turbos instead of one larger one, thus drastically reducing mass and inertial forces (a body at rest tends to want to stay at rest). BMW has also created a controlled explosion in the exhaust track creating instant increase in exhaust gas velocity to jump start the turbos when boost is needed.
Those of you stating that you sense turbo lag are being confused by the smooth linear way the BMW turbo engine generates power. The torque curve is flat from about 1400 rpm to near redline so there is no peak or rush of power.
A normally aspirated engine when it comes on the CAM will feel like its producing a lot of power, buts that only because it fall short at every other RPM before and after it sweet spot power curve.
The valvetronic on the 545/550 was designed to help broaden the power delivery curve.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:38 PM
Members

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='566130' date='Apr 22 2008, 08:33 PM
I think the turbo lag misnomer is getting misstated because its misunderstood. A turbo has an turbine in the exhaust header and when the exhaust gases pass the turbin it spins the turbine exactly like when you blow on a pin wheel. Turbo lag is the time it takes for the exhaust gases to build velocity, which spins the turbine, which is attached to the impeller that spins and compresses the air intake charge.
Two things made turbo lag very pronounced in the last generation of turbo engines. One was the mass of the turbine and impeller, which were relatively very heavy. Second was the time needed to increase the exhaust velocity needed to create boost.
BMW in the current generation turbo engine has utilized very light weight material for the turbine and impeller, thus drastically reducing mass and inertial forces (a body at rest tends to want to stay at rest). BMW has also created a controlled explosion in the exhaust track creating instant increase in exhaust gas velocity to jump start the turbos when boost is needed.
Those of you stating that you sense turbo lag are being confused by the smooth linear way the BMW turbo engine generates power. The torque curve is flat from about 1400 rpm to near redline.
A normally aspirated engine when it comes on the CAM will feel like its producing a lot of power, buts that only because it fall short at every other RPM before and after it sweet spot power curve.
The valvetronic on the 545/550 was designed to help broaden the power delivery curve.

Ok, whatever he said.

I'll take the 550i, a lot less complicated.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 08 535 xi, HUD, Mtech body kit, Dinan software upgrade, loaded, need some nice wheels :)

Originally Posted by SergeyM' post='564082' date='Apr 19 2008, 01:24 AM
My current lease expires soon and I?ve been agonizing about the next car for at least a month. I am on my second E60 and wanted something new and different but something I would enjoy driving.
Tried XF-SC and E550 but was not impressed. None of them handled as well as 5-series and to my surprise XF felt somewhat slower that my 550.
It looks not that I am back to E60 BMW but cannot decide which one - 535 or 550.

I came up with pros and cons for both models and just want to make sure I did not miss anything important:

BMW 550
Pros:
1. Looks with the aero package
2. Prestige and image.
3. Better ride (non-RFT tires, heavier)

Cons:
1. Heavy
2. More expensive. Roughly +$150 per month on a two year lease.

BMW 535 with Dinan software. Dinan claims 380hp/420lb/f
Pros:
1. Lighter thus better handling
2. Faster (at least in theory). Perfect sleeper
3. RFT safety
4. Cheaper

Cons:
1. Not much respect. Most people will confuse it with the underpowered 528/530
2. Looks almost the same as my 2007 550, even comes with 124 wheels

Honestly, I am leaning towards 535, never owned turbo, but is it actually better? Am I missing something important? Please advice.

I have the 535 xi with the aero kit and just installed the Dinan... The car looks great and screams, the acceleration from 50 on up is ridiculus, it makes passing on the highways fun and thus the ultimate driving machine
Old 04-22-2008, 04:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

I would'nt get too fussed about the weight, it's not a significant amount and it's likely you would never feel it, especially with A/S, .................I like V8's. Torque, sound , overall performance but I'm sure that the i6tt is a pretty impressive power plant as well .................your call , but my nickle
Old 04-22-2008, 04:50 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by bimmerturn' post='566133' date='Apr 22 2008, 08:38 PM
Ok, whatever he said.

I'll take the 550i, a lot less complicated.
Hey, us 535 guys do try to help I do agree, its complicated.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:08 PM
Members

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='566143' date='Apr 22 2008, 08:50 PM
Hey, us 535 guys do try to help I do agree, its complicated.
Very much appreciated.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Black on Black, cold weather pkg, Logic 7 sound, steptronic.

Good Lord, this did turn into a p*ssing match!

They're both great cars everyone!
Old 04-22-2008, 05:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by DFWRaider' post='566169' date='Apr 22 2008, 08:36 PM
Good Lord, this did turn into a p*ssing match!

They're both great cars everyone!
Ha!! Saw it coming, we've been down this path. But you're right, everyone just enjoy driving which ever car you have...

Quick Reply: BMW 550 or 535 with Dinan software