E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

BMS Charge Pipe Challenges (535i)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 05:32 PM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535i sport
Default BMS Charge Pipe Challenges (535i)

Hey everyone,
I've spent a decent amount of time searching but never posted.

This thread is a bit of a call for help but also to document my install challenges and help someone else down the line. The 5 series does not enjoy the same wealth of parts and information that the turbo 3 series cars do.

As someone who can't leave well enough alone, I decided to pick up a Burger Motorsports charge pipe for my E60. I consider them one of the more reputable companies out there. I expected a somewhat painless install, but ran into some major clearance issues.

Quality is great, and all hardware looks like something I'd want on my car

Install is where the trouble comes in. Because of the wider bend radius and tubing OD, the charge pipe interferes with my power steering lines and the reservoir. Even with the reservoir bracket removed, I can't maneuver it to a place where these lines aren't getting squeezed by the charge pipe.

Has anyone made it to the other side of this install? I'd like to know what I'm missing here. The only solutions I see are

A: extend the lines and move the reservoir
B: put a big old dent in my nicely finished charge pipe

Input and insights greatly appreciated
The following users liked this post:
cqhall (09-08-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 06:51 AM
New Members

Quick update. I've been told by customer service that a tight fit is normal, and to install this as-is.

I believe the motor will torque away from these lines under acceleration but I still need at least some clearance here to daily/track the car. I don't believe in leaving things like this to chance, so next update will be me massaging this cp for appropriate clearance. With the lines half closed when installed, I have some work to do.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:37 AM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Model Year: XHP&MHD

Did you see this reservoir move?

https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...mental-116842/
OldManSedan (01-20-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 08:50 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by spazzz
Thanks for the link,
i also found another thread where the bracket was moved that direction for another cp.

That's the area I was trying to move to when playing with this, while it makes things somewhat better the lines are still sandwiched by the CP. For that solution It looks like I'd also have to extend my power steering lines around the tight area. I'd rather keep it clean than buy a bunch of hose fittings.

I'm hoping to resolve this by the weekend, we'll see. Either this cp gets modified or I try and return it to buy the ER cp
Old 01-26-2020, 02:29 PM
New Members

Well this is where I ended up. Pretty significant modification needed to take pressure off the power steering reservoir and lines. I'm a big fan of Burger Motorsports, but this was not a plug and play solution like my JB4 or oil catch can. I hope this helps other owners. Car is once again in good running order, and included couplers and hose clamps are holding boost fine

I think the majority of my issues here result from an e9x design being modified and sold as an e6x solution. The 3 series has no reservoir or lines in the problem area. If I could do it again I would likely spend some more on a solution that's distinctly for the e60 platform, or something with more documented installations online

cqhall (09-08-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 11:28 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Sent you a PM
Old 02-27-2020, 11:24 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E61-N54-LCI-A76
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

I am currently in the same situation. I have the BMS DCI and the JB+ tuner and couldn't be happier with the 2 mods. I called BMS about the charge pipe to make sure fitment was good for my E61 and received confirmation. So I placed the order and then found myself frustrated on the day of the install - P/S lines and reservoir in the way of CP. I still went through with the install and temporarily attached the reservoir but need to revisit once the snow melts.

Any noticeable turbulence in regards airflow now that the pipe has been modified to fit?
OldManSedan (02-27-2020)
Old 02-27-2020, 11:43 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by FMLYWGN
I am currently in the same situation. I have the BMS DCI and the JB+ tuner and couldn't be happier with the 2 mods. I called BMS about the charge pipe to make sure fitment was good for my E61 and received confirmation. So I placed the order and then found myself frustrated on the day of the install - P/S lines and reservoir in the way of CP. I still went through with the install and temporarily attached the reservoir but need to revisit once the snow melts.

Any noticeable turbulence in regards airflow now that the pipe has been modified to fit?
​​​​
Biggest difference is I don't think my factory charge pipe was sealed well under boost. Car runs a bit better between mid and full throttle

As far as turbulence, there's no drastic or sharp dents inside the CP. If I did the math it'd be a minimal difference in cross sectional area.

Install was definitely a pain and I still think it should fit better than it does. Lessons learned. I can't honestly say for sure other products fit better but this was an experience
FMLYWGN (03-30-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 08:41 PM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: E60 535i

I bought a BMS charge pipe and I'm having the same issues that everyone else is reporting. I wish that I'd seen this thread first. I also wish that BMS will acknowdge the mistake and remove the current pipe from their website (to keep others from dealing with this in the future) and better, make an update that fits properly.

"It should fit..." is not good enough from BMS. It obviously doesn't fit. Just because the 535i shares the same engine as the 335i doesn't mean that it has the same engine bay.

Here is my recent thread on the topic (made before I knew about this thread): https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...lltion-151112/
Old 09-08-2020, 08:52 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by cqhall
I bought a BMS charge pipe and I'm having the same issues that everyone else is reporting. I wish that I'd seen this thread first. I also wish that BMS will acknowdge the mistake and remove the current pipe from their website (to keep others from dealing with this in the future) and better, make an update that fits properly.

"It should fit..." is not good enough from BMS. It obviously doesn't fit. Just because the 535i shares the same engine as the 335i doesn't mean that it has the same engine bay.

Here is my recent thread on the topic (made before I knew about this thread): https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...lltion-151112/
Sorry for your troubles

This is the first platform where I've seen zero concern over things rubbing when the engine isn't even running. It takes a lot of muscle to get onto the throttle body out of the box.

Mine is still real close but clearanced enough for install. I hit it pretty good with a baby sledge to massage clearance

Quick Reply: BMS Charge Pipe Challenges (535i)