E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

BIG news - my engine overheated

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 10:19 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

SO... the end is here

Got in the car, started it... the engine started knocking, check engine light came on - the big kahuna... the sum of all driver's fears is here. Have NO idea what I'm gonna do...

Tried to upload a clip with the knocking, but its not loading...
Old 05-27-2011, 05:32 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Does anyone know if it's possible to bypass the computer controlled timing on these cars?

The reason I ask is because engine "knock" is uncontrolled detonation in the cylinder, which gets picked up by a knock sensor and feeds data to the ECM, which adjusts the timing to compensate. Bypassing this would essentially take most of the electronics out of play.

If the "knock" is actually a constant "thump", then there may be more serious internal problems (crank, rods, pistons, timing gears). The fact that coolant didn't get mixed up with oil is definitely a good thing - your head gasket is good and the possiblity of a warped cylinder head or engine block from overheating is less likely. Leaking oil is never good, but oil leaking from anywhere else besides a head gasket is live-able as long as you keep adding oil.

Although I haven't heard any sound clips, I firmly believe from my past troubleshooting experiences the problem is more likely to be on the electronics side and not the mechanical. Unfortunately, I don't see an inexpensive way through this......
Old 05-27-2011, 07:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i manual
Model Year: 2008
Engine: V8

So whats happening V? you getting a new engine or you just getting a new car all together?
Old 05-27-2011, 08:29 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by v_therussian
SO... the end is here

Got in the car, started it... the engine started knocking, check engine light came on - the big kahuna... the sum of all driver's fears is here. Have NO idea what I'm gonna do...

Tried to upload a clip with the knocking, but its not loading...
That SUCKS Vladdy, what did the shop say? If there was a problem before it could have been exacerbated by the overheating issue. Aluminum heads do not like to overheat, they warp. Sorry to hear Vladdy, still hoping for a quick and cheap resolution for ya.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:31 AM
Senior Members

hope everything works out
pls keep us posted. thanks and GL
Old 05-27-2011, 05:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

how long did you drive with the car in the red? overheating will kill an engine quick.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:27 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how did you confuse coolant and oil mix??? That is not something that is subtle... think you blew it out of proportion with that statement. But appy it worked out.

And no the auto tranny is NOT the same in the 528 and 535 in the e60. The 528/530 only is rated to handle 300 foot pounds max
Old 05-28-2011, 06:31 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pukka
Does anyone know if it's possible to bypass the computer controlled timing on these cars?

The reason I ask is because engine "knock" is uncontrolled detonation in the cylinder, which gets picked up by a knock sensor and feeds data to the ECM, which adjusts the timing to compensate. Bypassing this would essentially take most of the electronics out of play.

If the "knock" is actually a constant "thump", then there may be more serious internal problems (crank, rods, pistons, timing gears). The fact that coolant didn't get mixed up with oil is definitely a good thing - your head gasket is good and the possiblity of a warped cylinder head or engine block from overheating is less likely. Leaking oil is never good, but oil leaking from anywhere else besides a head gasket is live-able as long as you keep adding oil.

Although I haven't heard any sound clips, I firmly believe from my past troubleshooting experiences the problem is more likely to be on the electronics side and not the mechanical. Unfortunately, I don't see an inexpensive way through this......
I was also thinking that maaaaybe it could be somehow a timing/electronics issue, but dude... oil was found in the coolant, when it overheated. This means that it got there somehow... I have to face the truth - otherwise, I'll be pumping insane amounts of cash into this junk until I'm six feet under.

Originally Posted by Ghostteck
So whats happening V? you getting a new engine or you just getting a new car all together?
I don't know bro... I'd love to keep this car and put in a new engine, but I know that it means more and more troubles. Since I can't really have two cars (not until I move into a proper house in the burbs, anyway), I need my car to be reliable, you know... more likely, another car. But I have to get rid of this one first. Somehow...

Originally Posted by pjinca
That SUCKS Vladdy, what did the shop say? If there was a problem before it could have been exacerbated by the overheating issue. Aluminum heads do not like to overheat, they warp. Sorry to hear Vladdy, still hoping for a quick and cheap resolution for ya.
They think it is some type of a serious internal issue. They haven't looked at it, because I had to go out of town. I'll resume diagnosis when I get back on Tuesday, and will post as soon as I have news. I'm actually so paranoid, that I didn't even want to leave the car with them - I haven't moved it from my parking, where the knock first happened. Haven't tried starting it again either - afraid the engine will seize.

Originally Posted by jg525i
hope everything works out
pls keep us posted. thanks and GL
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I hope I can get this situation contained before major damage is done to my household lol
Old 05-28-2011, 06:31 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by turboawd
how long did you drive with the car in the red? overheating will kill an engine quick.
Not long at all. I pulled over right away when it overheated. I let it cool. Restarted and drove a mile at 2k rpm to the shop. After that, I flatbedded it to my indie's shop in Brooklyn.

Originally Posted by Diamond
how did you confuse coolant and oil mix??? That is not something that is subtle... think you blew it out of proportion with that statement. But appy it worked out.

And no the auto tranny is NOT the same in the 528 and 535 in the e60. The 528/530 only is rated to handle 300 foot pounds max
Coolant tank had oil in it. Oil, though, did not show any traces of coolant when I had it analyzed by a lab. But that could be because the oil pressure is higher than coolant pressure - hence, if there's a breach, oil would go into the coolant, but coolant wouldn't go into the oil.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:19 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Not long at all. I pulled over right away when it overheated. I let it cool. Restarted and drove a mile at 2k rpm to the shop. After that, I flatbedded it to my indie's shop in Brooklyn.
No really sure at all on this one but that might have raised the temp even more. With forward airflow gone and the car standing, the temps could have gone up even further.

Quick Reply: BIG news - my engine overheated