E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Beware of spacers

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 06:07 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed Eibach 20mm. spacers on the back wheels yesterday.
Intention was to put 10mm. in the front next week, after powder coating the bolts.

Went out for dinner yesterday, with 4 people in the car.
Well, the tire did rub the back fender (lightly) quite a few times on sharp low speed turns and on bumps.

So I would recommend against installing spacers on 545i with Sport Package.
I know others have installed the same parts (e.g. Lomag) and did not report problems. Maybe they are much lighter than my 240 lbs and never carry passengers

So I am taking the spacers off, and posting them in the classified section.
Front and back spacers cost me $281 new.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:21 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

Really!? I've driven with the family many times with no probs... Hrmm... now i feel bad.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:26 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by yvesj' date='Sep 11 2005, 07:07 AM
Intention was to put 10mm. in the front next week, after powder coating the bolts.

Well, the tire did rub the back fender (lightly) quite a few times on sharp low speed turns and on bumps.

I know others have installed the same parts (e.g. Lomag) and did not report problems. Maybe they are much lighter than my 240 lbs and never carry passengers?

[snapback]169395[/snapback]
If you like the look with spacers, you could consider rolling the fenders.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 520i, mystic blue, steptronic, beige leather, pdc, bluetooth, rain sensor, BMW sport kit fitted, 18" 166 rep BMW rims , de-badged, cherished reg. chrome grill,

Originally Posted by yvesj' date='Sep 11 2005, 03:07 PM

I know others have installed the same parts (e.g. Lomag) and did not report problems. Maybe they are much lighter than my 240 lbs and never carry passengers?

I know mine's not a 545 but unless there's a difference in the susp set You should try 15mm, i had them and had no problems
Old 09-11-2005, 10:53 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by stream' date='Sep 11 2005, 06:26 PM
[quote name='yvesj' date='Sep 11 2005, 07:07 AM']I installed Eibach 20mm. spacers on the back wheels yesterday.

[snapback]169433[/snapback]
[/quote]

Just out of interest, what does rolling the fenders involve?
Old 09-11-2005, 11:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545, Auto, Sport, L7, Pdc, Sunshades, Silver Gray/Black, 19x8.5/9.5 Monet Wheels, Michelin PS A/S Tires, Full M-KIt, B&B Exhaust, 20% Llumar Tint

20mm is rather large...for a while I ran a 15mm in the rear and a 10mm in the front without any rubbing problems (this before I switched to 19's)...that was with a 545 sport
Old 09-11-2005, 12:55 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by BMW#5' date='Sep 11 2005, 11:53 AM
[quote name='stream' date='Sep 11 2005, 06:26 PM'][quote name='yvesj' date='Sep 11 2005, 07:07 AM']I installed Eibach 20mm. spacers on the back wheels yesterday.

[/quote]

[snapback]169467[/snapback]
[/quote]

If you look at the underside of your wheel wells, the metal from the side of the body is bent 90 degrees and toward the inside of the car, and is parallel to the ground--this piece is called the fender lip. Rolling the fenders pushes the fender lip up and towards the outside of the car, which provides additional clearance for tires. There are specialized tools for doing this without risking damage to the car (some try to use a rubber hammer, etc., but you run the risk of damage). Here's a diagram and pic:

Beware of spacers-rolling.jpg
Beware of spacers-roller1.jpg
Old 09-11-2005, 04:26 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by stream' date='Sep 11 2005, 02:55 PM
[quote name='BMW#5' date='Sep 11 2005, 11:53 AM'][quote name='stream' date='Sep 11 2005, 06:26 PM'][quote name='yvesj' date='Sep 11 2005, 07:07 AM']I installed Eibach 20mm. spacers on the back wheels yesterday.

[/quote]

[snapback]169467[/snapback]
[/quote]

If you look at the underside of your wheel wells, the metal from the side of the body is bent 90 degrees and toward the inside of the car, and is parallel to the ground--this piece is called the fender lip. Rolling the fenders pushes the fender lip up and towards the outside of the car, which provides additional clearance for tires. There are specialized tools for doing this without risking damage to the car (some try to use a rubber hammer, etc., but you run the risk of damage). Here's a diagram and pic:

[snapback]169502[/snapback]
[/quote]

Great explanation, Stream, thanks.

What is a typical cost for rolling the Fenders?

?
Old 09-12-2005, 12:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Maybe this is a dumb question but what are spacers? Is it something that makes the wheels come wider out? Like a metalplate coming between the wheel and "whatever the part is called where you bolt the wheels".

If so, doesn't it affect the cars handling in a negative way?
Old 09-12-2005, 03:49 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ricracing' date='Sep 12 2005, 02:50 AM
Maybe this is a dumb question but what are spacers? Is it something that makes the wheels come wider out? Like a metalplate coming between the wheel and "whatever the part is called where you bolt the wheels".

If so, doesn't it affect the cars handling in a negative way?
[snapback]169642[/snapback]
Just as you said, a spacer is a metal plate around 1 or 2 cm thick that is mounted between the wheel hub and the wheel.
Narrow one have holes where the bolts need to go, and you need longer bolts to mount the wheel properly.
Thicker ones are attached with their own bolts to the hub and have threaded holes to receive your original bolts.
I'll try to post pictures time permitting.

As to negative effect, I don't know of any.

Quick Reply: Beware of spacers