E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Better Sounding Intake mods??

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 11:21 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I just did the charcoal filter removal mod on my 07 530i.

I was wondering if there was an intake available that would make the car sound more aggressive?

I was gonna do the K&n filter replacement but i hear that it still sounds stock...

Thanks

PS: I have a manual tranny BTW...
Old 05-10-2007, 07:35 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

hello. welcome. there is an intake available for your car that is made by afe. member sleepyca31 has it on his 530i as well. the k&n filter, which i have, doesn't give that much sound but just more air flow compared to the oem paper filter. if you want more sound / an aggressive sound, install an exhaust and/or replace the resonator with straight piping or you could just run straight pipes. that would definitely give you an aggressive sound.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:12 PM
Banned

Hey dude-actually I was naive and didnt even know E60 had a "Mod" section until tonight'I had found e60 by google and linked the e60 chat or whatever only so anyway-yes you MUST get the AFE.

I cannot even tell you that the level of fun driving my car just completely changed. I am no poser and do not want to be but you cannot help but straight out enjoy peoples faces when you cruise by and are at over 4krpms.

AFE sounds really MEAN above 4k rpms, at 3k rpms it begins to growl. Under 3k RPMs it is quiet as stock-completely like a mouse which is what I love about it. If I just want a refined quiet drive-totally can do that. If I want to play around and have fun-just go WOT or downshift on the freeway to 3rd and WOT-Funnn times.

Anyway I have a Remus exhaust as well which contributes to the sound. The 2 together is just awesome. If you want some pics or a sound clip I can try to figure out if I could do that for you. I could definetly do pictures but not sure how to do sound but I could figure it out. I am in phoenix as well.

AFE cost only 380 bucks or something. VERY cheap.
REMUS cost 600

But for 1000k I cannot recomend a better mod. I have a 07 530 also. It also gave me back some throttle response that I think the 530 really lacks (im auto) but the sound alone is worth it.

Only thing i have in addition to that is an ECU reprogram from EVOTECH but I was the happiest from simply the intake and exhaust and I went from liking my car to LOVING it.

It is louder than a stock M5/M6 easily once you hit 4k-anyway its great-pm me with questions
Old 05-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Banned

Oh by the way-regarding the sound of it other than being mean. No joke sounds similar to a ferrarish sound. Low mean growl but not american muscle. It is refined growling but definetly deep tones. NO RICER sound at all/ no tin canny etc. You hear the air getting sucked through their HUGE cone filter open intake-it is huge and it roars. Anyway its aggressive when you want it and invisible when you dont-hard to say that for many mods/exhaust/intakes.

But seriously look into the REMUS-the tips fill that little space where the tips go and stock ones look so piddly after you see the remus. I could post pics of my car. Anyway it sounds great!
Old 05-12-2007, 02:32 AM
Members

Thanks for the help guys.

I bought the AFE!

Will write back here and let you guys how it goes.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by amir12' post='423620' date='May 12 2007, 03:32 AM
Thanks for the help guys.

I bought the AFE!

Will write back here and let you guys how it goes.
gluck-if you do the install yourself-make sure you do it super slow. Even the bmw pro who did the install for me took quite awhile and the sad fact is despite it being designed for the 530i-it just doesnt fit all that well, so ya gotta spend a bit extra time making sure all the pieces are VERY snug. Tons of 330 peoplel,which is mostly who I read about before getting it complained they had issues with hesitation and jerkiness etc after install of AFE/intakes in general-but each time they went back and found some air leak in the system.

Mine was done right and runs perfectly.

This would happen with poor install of any intake, it just seems AFE is a little less perfectly fit so takes time to make sure everything is snut. Not saying you have to cut/modify any pipes or pieces, it just takes a bit more time.

Anyway-I read my initialy post which made little sense-what I meant is I didnt buy the intake to "pose" or make people think I had some big engine under the hood but rather, atleast the 530i, when reviewed in 06 by a few of the mags, "complained" at how you could not even hear the engine. It supposedly is one of the quietest rides, which is great but if you like hearing some engine sound it wasnt enough. The AFE just happens to growl loud and I turned out to love it.

Despite some disbelievers and no confiremd before and after-if you do an intake and exhaust you will have a bit of power. My butt dyno noticed it immediatly and I never dynoed just the intake but I noticed some increase accel down low. I think the 530 benefits from any down low power since the thing has ALL its torque up high-anyway youll enjoy it.

Keep us updated
Old 05-14-2007, 11:15 PM
Members

Ok i just installed it and when for a quick drive.

This thing sounds SICK. I would defiantly recommend it. It does sound kind of stock under 3K, but then it roars like crazy.

The install was a PITA. It's hard to fit right. I am a little worried about air leaks. How would i know if there was a leak because there is one part of the hose that looks like it might leak. It's probably fine though and I'm just being paranoid.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:09 AM
Banned

Told ya Pretty bad ass sound huh

And for air leaks as far as I know-you will notice some hesitation/loss of performance in a noticable way if there is an air leak. The other thing-if you are fiddling around in there-careful not to break the 02 sensor as I heard it is kind of fragile and can be mashed a bit when trying to force this install.

But was it worth it or what

Try slapping an exhaust on -and IO think if I am correct-you get the roar from the intake for about 3k-6k and then the final 5.5-7k rpms give you the exhaust notes-but the combo of the 2 is ridiculous-but definetly pound for pound-dollar for dollar, the afe intake gives the most and best sound for the buck!
Old 05-15-2007, 12:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

too bad they don't make one for the v8 engines...
Old 05-15-2007, 12:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

There is a AFE CAI for the 550i. It was on display on 61Mac11's 550i at Bimmerfest 2007 in the EuroBahn booth. I was told by EuroBahn that there is also one for the 545i. I'm looking into it. BTW, 61Mac11 has the AFE CAI and Remus exhaust on the 550i. It sounds good. The AFE will go well with your Remus, jet190rs.

Quick Reply: Better Sounding Intake mods??