E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Best option for cross drilled rotors

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 01:06 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

BBKs have better braking power because there are more pistons pushing against the pad. Your stock brake setup only has one piston whereas BBKs have 6, 8, and even 10.

Make sense?

Michael
Acute Performance

Originally Posted by mwolfe
This seems like a good time to ask about "Big Brake Kits." What do they include? Would a new kit add to brake performance?
Old 10-29-2010, 01:26 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

One thing I have not seen mentioned is if you get drilled rotors make sure they have chamfered holes instead of plain drilled holes. Chamfered drilled holes run less risk of cracking and are more brake pad friendly.

I've used chamfered drilled/ slotted R1 Concept rotors for years on my Nissan's, and never had any issues with them.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:28 PM
Former Vendor

+1. R1Concepts are chamfered.

Originally Posted by ktlocklear
One thing I have not seen mentioned is if you get drilled rotors make sure they have chamfered holes instead of plain drilled holes. Chamfered drilled holes run less risk of cracking and are more brake pad friendly.

I've used chamfered drilled/ slotted R1 Concept rotors for years on my Nissan's, and never had any issues with them.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

Michael,
What is the real difference in their e-line and premium rotors? I really like the looks of the premium ones. I am gonna need a set of cross-drilled rotors and HPS pads for the front. I might swap the rear rotors to just match them up so give me a good price on them. Thanks as always.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2013
Engine: S63

got mines from bimmerbrakes.com
Old 10-30-2010, 10:32 AM
Former Vendor

The Premium Rotors use higher casting grade than the Eline's plus the hubs are coated with black to further prevent rust. The Elines use the same casting grade as OE rotors. Both rotors are treated with zinc to prevent rusting.

Michael
Acute Performance

Originally Posted by toyota2bmw
Michael,
What is the real difference in their e-line and premium rotors? I really like the looks of the premium ones. I am gonna need a set of cross-drilled rotors and HPS pads for the front. I might swap the rear rotors to just match them up so give me a good price on them. Thanks as always.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by IzzE60
Looking for the best option for cross drilled rotors for my 2007 550i. I want cross drilled rotors, but not slotted. Also don't want to spend a ton of money.
What brake pad combination work well for this setup?
As a person who purchased R1 Concept rotors for my front brakes I'd strongly advise against buying them. They're cheap, plain and simple and I learned my lesson. They rust, as most rotors do, but the worst part is vibration. After about 7,000 miles of use I am experiencing vibration when braking hard and I know damn well its a warped R1 concept rotor. I had them broken in EXACTLY according to spec and wasn't having any issues with them for about the first 5k miles or so until recently. So, if you get rotors, get drilled or slotted but not both and consider another brand. Bought them from Trinity but that has nothing to do with it really, they're all the same regardless of where you get it.

I think I've owned mine for less than 5 months only and already having problems.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:40 AM
Former Vendor

Did you contact R1Concept about this issue? If they were indeed warped at 7,000 due to manf. defect, they would've been covered 100%. I've sold so many sets and never had a single complaint. Mistakes do happen with any product, but you can't judge a product's quality based on a single experience.

Michael
Acute Performance

Originally Posted by Howitzer
As a person who purchased R1 Concept rotors for my front brakes I'd strongly advise against buying them. They're cheap, plain and simple and I learned my lesson. They rust, as most rotors do, but the worst part is vibration. After about 7,000 miles of use I am experiencing vibration when braking hard and I know damn well its a warped R1 concept rotor. I had them broken in EXACTLY according to spec and wasn't having any issues with them for about the first 5k miles or so until recently. So, if you get rotors, get drilled or slotted but not both and consider another brand.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:59 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
but you can't judge a product's quality based on a single experience.

Michael
Acute Performance
Yes I can. A company only has one chance to make an impression on me.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

I have the hawk HPS pads for my 2009 LCI and will be getting the R1 concept rotors soon.

Quick Reply: Best option for cross drilled rotors