E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Best option for cross drilled rotors

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 09:31 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So slotted and drilled are better? healthservices I don't understand?
Old 10-06-2010, 09:53 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

they come in blank, drilled, slotted, or drilled & slotted.

michael
acute performanace

Originally Posted by IzzE60
Gonna go with the hawk HPS pads, but do the R1 concept rotors come in drilled only? I dont want slotted.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

The way I understand it, the drilled holes provide cooling to the rotors in heavy operating situations (like track).

Slots produce more friction with the pads, and even though they do wear the pads out more, they provide more stopping power.

My suggestion: do not get the drilled ones unless you use your brakes to the point of fading. I do, occasionally, so I got drilled and slotted (have never felt a fade since - not yet, anyway). As for slotted - its pretty much a no-brainer IMHO, I say get slotted no matter what.

Hope this clears up some confusion.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:06 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

I don't think holes do anything other than lightening but the amount of holes you see in these rotors do not do a thing. Besides these replacement rotors have cast iron hats compared to the riveted aluminum hats that the oe have. Your performance will be from the brake pads not the rotors.

I bought mine, because they were sporty looking. I have just holes in one car and slots with holes in the other. I got the holes only, thinking that you don't see slots with holes in real race cars. The one with just holes makes more noise while the one with both make less. You won't hear it with the windows up but windows down and a wall next to you, you'd be like...
Old 10-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i 6mt, Titanium Silver, Sport Package, Winter Package

I purchased the bav auto cross drilled rotors. $560 for front and rear. and Hawk ceramic front pads and Hawk HPS rear. No and i emphasize NO, Squeaks and no Dust, Yes I said NO dust. I have gone 2 months without washing my wheels and still no dust!
I would not recommend the EBC yellowstuff. I had them and hated them squeals and lots of dust.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i 6mt, Titanium Silver, Sport Package, Winter Package

Side note: If you want better performance go with the Hawk HPS for the front pads not the ceramic. The HPS produces more dust than the ceramic but they perform better. Its your preference. I prefer no dust so I went with ceramic.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

I have the best prices on rotors and hawk hps pads. Yes the rotors come either slotted & drilled, slotted only, drilled only, or blank.

r1concept eline drilled, slotted, both
front - $175/pair
rear - $165/pair

hawk hps pads
front - $100
rear - $75

michael
acute performance
Old 10-29-2010, 09:16 AM
Members

Michael send you a PM. I wanna get the drilled rotors, also do you carry the sensors?
Old 10-29-2010, 12:34 PM
Members

My Ride: 07 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Steptronic, Sport, Premium, Nav, Sat. Radio, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Rear Sunshade.

Originally Posted by healthservices
I don't think holes do anything other than lightening but the amount of holes you see in these rotors do not do a thing. Besides these replacement rotors have cast iron hats compared to the riveted aluminum hats that the oe have. Your performance will be from the brake pads not the rotors.

I bought mine, because they were sporty looking. I have just holes in one car and slots with holes in the other. I got the holes only, thinking that you don't see slots with holes in real race cars. The one with just holes makes more noise while the one with both make less. You won't hear it with the windows up but windows down and a wall next to you, you'd be like...
+1 Holes and slots don't affect stopping distance. I recently attended the Cadillac CTS-V driving event and a person posed the question if there were any performance benefits to cross drilled and slotted rotors. The Brembo rep said, "No," and gave the following explaination. Cross drilled rotors were first designed because of out-gassing issues from old generation brake pads where the binding material produced an amount of gas that affected braking performance. Today's pad do not have out-gas issues, so you don't need them. Cross-drilled rotors are more for show and they have a tendency to produce cracks. Slotted rotors are notorious for chewing up brake pads which result in more frequent pad replacements. As the Brembo rep explained to me, go look at the different professional racing circuits and tell me how many cross-drilled and slotted rotors you see. That pretty much summed it up for everyone. It's all about the brake pads and caliper design.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:03 PM
Members

This seems like a good time to ask about "Big Brake Kits." What do they include? Would a new kit add to brake performance?

Quick Reply: Best option for cross drilled rotors