E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Best Exhaust for 550i

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 07:13 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Booyaazaa
I had a Remus Sports exhaust installed and it sounds great. At my freeway cruising speed of 80 there is no drone. Its a tad bit louder then stock.
Hey 5fanatic, maybe it was a typo.. but Booyaazaa actually said there was no drone at freeway speed. See above.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 09 550i 6sp M-Tech. 18mm spacers rear, 8mm front. Dinan intake and Stage 2 tune. Tinted tails, M5 OEM lip spoiler. 08 Z4 3.0si Black on Black with Beige top. Removable hardtop. (Hers) 06 Volvo S60R Heavily Modded!! Gone and missed.

Originally Posted by redEYEjedi
On a side note, I do have a custom quad Remus exhaust that I am selling for $450. You get 2 mufflers for less than the price of 1..
U have message. Very interested!!
Old 09-04-2012, 05:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Modded 2010 Carbon Black M5 SMG and Modded 2008 Dinan 550i Sport

The Dinan exhaust on my 550i is remarkable. Seriously, it could not be a more perfect tone. Very throaty and subtle. The car sounds like the most finely tuned machine. Very sexy low note with no drone whatsoever. Not raspy like most exhausts. Honestly, this is one of those things in life that was done PERFECTLY.

On my M5 I went with RPI. It is nice and it is loud and it does have drone even with only section 3. I am installing sections 1&2 as soon as they arrive. I chose RPI for the M5 because the V10 sounds like an F1 car at WOT. As far as pitch at start up and normal driving, the 550i has the M5 beat hands down.

I am NOT a die hard Dinan guy by any means even though I totally modded my 550i to the hilt with Dinan. The only Dinan mods I put on my M5 are the front and rear strut braces and the FRC and rear anti-roll bar. I often wonder if I should have installed the Dinan exhaust. I have never heard it in real life on an M5 and on the limited videos online there was no good example. There were so many RPI and the F1 sound is intoxicating in a very racy way but I just think Dinan is ultra classy. I swear to you that I cannot emphasize enough how perfect the throaty tone is. Every to mime I start the 550i I go "wow". I would have honestly been very sorry if I opted for something else. It is expensive but it sure is a lot less than spending money to correct a bad decision later or worse yet, hearing one after installing something else and forever thinking "I wish I had chosen that instead."

Honeslty, I cannot even begin to tell you how much I would urge you to go with Dinan. I wish you were nearby so you could here mine. The exhaust is one of those signature upgrades and unique identifiers when you mod your car. I am telling you like a best friend that it is the BEST mod I ever did to the 550i with the exception of the Dinan suspension. With other exhausts you "might" not be happy. With Dinan there really is a zero percent chance of that unless you want something REALLY loud and obnoxious, which Dinan is not. It is also VERY noticeable over stock. It is not "loud". The best way I can describe it is that it is a nice throaty rumble on cold starts and neighbors definitely hear it when you are cruising through the neighborhood but it won't shatter their windows. My wife always knows I am coming down the street.

-Mike
Old 09-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i sport 1998 528i sport 2007 Mazda 3 GT sport hatch

@ '06 550i-Did you remove both mufflers or re-pipe into one of them? Have a sound clip by chance? Thanks mate.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:29 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Originally Posted by ColdList
The Dinan exhaust on my 550i is remarkable. Seriously, it could not be a more perfect tone. Very throaty and subtle. The car sounds like the most finely tuned machine. Very sexy low note with no drone whatsoever. Not raspy like most exhausts. Honestly, this is one of those things in life that was done PERFECTLY.

On my M5 I went with RPI. It is nice and it is loud and it does have drone even with only section 3. I am installing sections 1&2 as soon as they arrive. I chose RPI for the M5 because the V10 sounds like an F1 car at WOT. As far as pitch at start up and normal driving, the 550i has the M5 beat hands down.

I am NOT a die hard Dinan guy by any means even though I totally modded my 550i to the hilt with Dinan. The only Dinan mods I put on my M5 are the front and rear strut braces and the FRC and rear anti-roll bar. I often wonder if I should have installed the Dinan exhaust. I have never heard it in real life on an M5 and on the limited videos online there was no good example. There were so many RPI and the F1 sound is intoxicating in a very racy way but I just think Dinan is ultra classy. I swear to you that I cannot emphasize enough how perfect the throaty tone is. Every to mime I start the 550i I go "wow". I would have honestly been very sorry if I opted for something else. It is expensive but it sure is a lot less than spending money to correct a bad decision later or worse yet, hearing one after installing something else and forever thinking "I wish I had chosen that instead."

Honeslty, I cannot even begin to tell you how much I would urge you to go with Dinan. I wish you were nearby so you could here mine. The exhaust is one of those signature upgrades and unique identifiers when you mod your car. I am telling you like a best friend that it is the BEST mod I ever did to the 550i with the exception of the Dinan suspension. With other exhausts you "might" not be happy. With Dinan there really is a zero percent chance of that unless you want something REALLY loud and obnoxious, which Dinan is not. It is also VERY noticeable over stock. It is not "loud". The best way I can describe it is that it is a nice throaty rumble on cold starts and neighbors definitely hear it when you are cruising through the neighborhood but it won't shatter their windows. My wife always knows I am coming down the street.

-Mike
Hey what's up Mike,

So what you're saying is you like being Michael Schumacher on the Nurburg. That M5 of yours has just got to sound amazing. I was thinking about the Dinan but went with the Remus since it was a good deal and I've always loved the Remus sound. Hey I also got some pics of my ride with the forgestars posted. https://5series.net/forums/topic/126...for-my-aw-e60/
Old 09-05-2012, 04:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Modded 2010 Carbon Black M5 SMG and Modded 2008 Dinan 550i Sport

Hey what's up Mike,

So what you're saying is you like being Michael Schumacher on the Nurburg. That M5 of yours has just got to sound amazing. I was thinking about the Dinan but went with the Remus since it was a good deal and I've always loved the Remus sound. Hey I also got some pics of my ride with the forgestars posted. https://5series.net/forums/topic/126...for-my-aw-e60/
Hahaha what's up Victor!

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up :-) I figure since I have the feakin loud section 3 on I may as well go all the way with pissing the neighbors off! I actually have noever heard the Remus but your description sounds a lot like the Dinan in terms of the loudness. It sounds classy. I like that.

Man your car looks NICE with those forgestars. I considered those as well for my 550i when I got the Avant Garde M355s. I was just too impatient to wait. They are a great deal I think and they look very sweet. The black looks especially good on your white car. Nice job!
Old 09-05-2012, 05:34 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by redEYEjedi
Hey 5fanatic, maybe it was a typo.. but Booyaazaa actually said there was no drone at freeway speed. See above.
In my post I referred to Booyazzaa's separate post where the exhaust and the wheels were added. That is the post where the drone at freeway speeds was mentioned.

https://5series.net/forums/topic/126...for-my-aw-e60/
Old 09-05-2012, 05:45 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Originally Posted by 5fanatic
In my post I referred to Booyazzaa's separate post where the exhaust and the wheels were added. That is the post where the drone at freeway speeds was mentioned.

https://5series.net/forums/topic/126...for-my-aw-e60/
Here is the post, Remus sports exhaust which makes the car sound much better minus the droning noise at freeway speeds. There isn't a drone when I'm driving at cruising speeds is what I was saying.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ColdList
Hahaha what's up Victor!

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up :-) I figure since I have the feakin loud section 3 on I may as well go all the way with pissing the neighbors off! I actually have noever heard the Remus but your description sounds a lot like the Dinan in terms of the loudness. It sounds classy. I like that.

Man your car looks NICE with those forgestars. I considered those as well for my 550i when I got the Avant Garde M355s. I was just too impatient to wait. They are a great deal I think and they look very sweet. The black looks especially good on your white car. Nice job!
Thanks Mike. Yeah 7-8 weeks is a bit of time to wait but it was worth it since I got custom offsets to flush the wheels and they machined the hubs to E60 specs = no crappy hub rings. The ride is smooth and it doesn't feel like bags of concrete when mashing the pedal or cornering.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i
Model Year: 2007

Here is the post, Remus sports exhaust which makes the car sound much better minus the droning noise at freeway speeds. There isn't a drone when I'm driving at cruising speeds is what I was saying.
Thanks for clarifying. Remus is winning my vote right now. No drone, large tips and great price. Its got a nice sound but not to loud. I'm getting Forgestar's as well, 19's in silver. Subtle changes so the remus fits well with the total package. Thanks for your help!!!

Quick Reply: Best Exhaust for 550i