E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

BBS RGR Wheels--8.5" F's & 10" R's

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 08:48 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Hi All:

I have decided on the BBS RGR wheels for my silver gray 545i--specificially, 18 X 8.5 fronts and 18 X 10 rears. I am trying to decide whether to get the Black Diamond or Bright Silver finish. As mentioned, my car is silver gray. I am looking for opinions particularly concerning the look of the Black Diamond finish in general (i.e., I know what the bright silver finish looks like) and how it would look with my silver gray paint. To my knowledge, I have never seen the black diamond finish. Also, I would appreciated it if someone could direct me to some photos of the black diamond finish on his or her E60. Please post the pics here if you want. One advantage of the black diamond finish is that the wheels are in stock.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:58 AM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

I'm sorry I don't have any pictures to post, but in my opinion, the "black diamond", as they call it, looks fantastic with any medium to light gray or silver car...so it should look good with silver gray. And with the amount of chrome wheels out there, it gives it a little different look. Hopefully someone will have some pictures...
Old 09-22-2005, 09:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by das' date='Sep 22 2005, 11:58 AM
I'm sorry I don't have any pictures to post, but in my opinion, the "black diamond", as they call it, looks fantastic with any medium to light gray or silver car...so it should look good with silver gray. And with the amount of chrome wheels out there, it gives it a little different look. Hopefully someone will have some pictures...
[snapback]173627[/snapback]
Thanks das. I was thinking the same thing about having a somewhat different look--from bright silver and chrome.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:33 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by das' date='Sep 22 2005, 11:58 AM
I also am thinking that black diamonds would hide brake dust well--although I keep my wheels pretty clean all the time anyway.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by donv' date='Sep 22 2005, 12:33 PM
[quote name='das' date='Sep 22 2005, 11:58 AM']I'm sorry I don't have any pictures to post, but in my opinion, the "black diamond", as they call it, looks fantastic with any medium to light gray or silver car...so it should look good with silver gray. And with the amount of chrome wheels out there, it gives it a little different look. Hopefully someone will have some pictures...
I also am thinking that black diamonds would hide brake dust well--although I keep my wheels pretty clean all the time anyway.
[snapback]173647[/snapback]
[/quote]Below is a photo of Black Diamonds similar to those I am interested in (on rsbartley's E60). They don't look overly black, and that is good. I am concerned about them looking too black.

Can anyone shed any light on how black they look when viewed from different angles, in different lights, etc.? In this regard, I know that "clear" black is painted over silver to produce Black Diamond. So, my issue may be how clear is the black paint? i.e., how much does it show and let the silver show through? So, far I have found it difficult to judge these things--especially on the Tire Rack site. rsbartley's car looks very nice though--same color as mine.
Attached Thumbnails BBS RGR Wheels--8.5" F's & 10" R's-bdiamonds.jpg  
Old 09-22-2005, 01:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i

As a silver-grey owner, I vote yes on the above wheels. IMO, black looks so good with the color. Looks tough, like when Mike Tyson would fight in the black shoes (back when he was knockin' fools out).

My car came w/ 18" chromes so I probably won't be replacing them - but if I were replacing the stock wheels I'd go with black (anyone wanna trade?).
Old 09-22-2005, 02:02 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Fullspeed' date='Sep 22 2005, 04:55 PM
As a silver-grey owner, I vote yes on the above wheels.? IMO, black looks so good with the color.? Looks tough, like when Mike Tyson would fight in the black shoes (back when he was knockin' fools out).

My car came w/ 18" chromes so I probably won't be replacing them - but if I were replacing the stock wheels I'd go with black (anyone wanna trade?).
[snapback]173754[/snapback]
Below is what the Black Diamond RGRs look like on the Tire Rack site. They don't exactly look black, but I have the feeling they look more black in person than is implied by the photo.
Attached Thumbnails BBS RGR Wheels--8.5" F's & 10" R's-bbs.jpg  
Old 09-22-2005, 02:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i

Originally Posted by donv' date='Sep 22 2005, 03:02 PM
[quote name='Fullspeed' date='Sep 22 2005, 04:55 PM']As a silver-grey owner, I vote yes on the above wheels.? IMO, black looks so good with the color.? Looks tough, like when Mike Tyson would fight in the black shoes (back when he was knockin' fools out).

Below is what the Black Diamond RGRs look like on the Tire Rack site. They don't exactly look black, but I have the feeling they look more black in person than is implied by the photo.
[snapback]173759[/snapback]
[/quote]

Look for a local retailer to make sure that you like them in person (it's a big purchase!). Those don't look black enough for my tastes, but the photo may be deceiving.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:15 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Fullspeed' date='Sep 22 2005, 05:07 PM
[quote name='donv' date='Sep 22 2005, 03:02 PM'][quote name='Fullspeed' date='Sep 22 2005, 04:55 PM']As a silver-grey owner, I vote yes on the above wheels.? IMO, black looks so good with the color.? Looks tough, like when Mike Tyson would fight in the black shoes (back when he was knockin' fools out).

[snapback]173759[/snapback]
[/quote]

Look for a local retailer to make sure that you like them in person (it's a big purchase!). Those don't look black enough for my tastes, but the photo may be deceiving.
[snapback]173766[/snapback]
[/quote]Thanks much. I like the apparent (clear) blackness of the wheels, but I am concerned about the clarity of depiction by the photo.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:29 PM
Senior Members

Obviously, it's all personal taste, but....
That wouldn't work for me. To me, that finish just looks like it's dirty. When you commibine them with the fact that 18's just aren't big enough to make any visual impact on the e60, it doesn't work for me at all. Yep, they may be easier to clean, but that's about it. I just wouldn't spend any $$ on my car that wouldn't do much to change the appearance. Now, if you have a non-sport car, maybe these would do you some good, as those OE wheels are hideous.
Hey, just my .02...

Quick Reply: BBS RGR Wheels--8.5" F's & 10" R's