E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Balbs' CIC Retrofit w\Combox +6NR, PnP

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 06:02 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Black Sapphire 535i

Definitely worth tagg'n this thread as there is clarity in the consolidation of information as apposed to the other "monster" thread we created. Great work so far Balbs!!
Old 06-08-2012, 06:09 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by balbs
Also, I tried to run the cables under the carpet through the center area towards the center console. That carpet seems so heavy and tight. It has some foam layer on it so that if I tried to push the cables through, the foam would grip my hand so tight that it felt like it would rip my skin off.

If anybody can provide some cable running tips, I would appreciate it.
I ran the GPS wire down the left side of the car, there is ample room if you remove the foot trim on the door openings, then under the steering wheel to get to the back of the CCC (CIC in your case.)

If you have enough cable, I would do the same for the USB and just keep going down the center console.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by 545felix
I ran the GPS wire down the left side of the car, there is ample room if you remove the foot trim on the door openings, then under the steering wheel to get to the back of the CCC (CIC in your case.)

If you have enough cable, I would do the same for the USB and just keep going down the center console.
That's the problem. The GPS cable I got just barely reaches around the driver side side view mirror if you ran it from the combox left side of the trunk, and along the driver side. It needs another few feet to make a "right" across the steering wheel area to the CIC.

I ordered a custom made GPS extension cable from rfsupplier.com. 152.4cm (60 inches...Unfortunately, they messed up my order and I got one that's 15.24cm...That's only 6"! WTF!!! They moved the decimal point!
Old 06-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

Me and my friend Russ are doing a full CIC retrofit tomorrow for a forum friend. I'll post some pics of the install tomorrow.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:00 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nelson29
Me and my friend Russ are doing a full CIC retrofit tomorrow for a forum friend. I'll post some pics of the install tomorrow.
Dude if you post pics of all the cable runs I will paypal you money for your favorite beer fund!
Old 06-09-2012, 09:06 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by balbs
Dude if you post pics of all the cable runs I will paypal you money for your favorite beer fund!
Beer Fund Ill gladly accept the offer
Old 06-09-2012, 03:16 PM
Contributors

lift the back seat padding/carpet

Old 06-09-2012, 03:16 PM
Contributors

9 conductor speaker cable for audio upgrade.

My next retrofit

I will post more pics when the CIC retrofit is done but this should give you an idea on how to run the cables. All the CIC/COMBOX cables will be run with the BLUE speaker cable
Old 06-09-2012, 10:31 PM
Contributors

SUWHEEET! What are the white cables with the blue in the trunk?
How did you handle the GPS antenna cable from trunk to CIC?
That blue speaker cable is awesome. So the whole carpet can peel back from the backseat\floor to the center console area?
What's your paypal address?!
Old 07-01-2012, 11:41 PM
Contributors

I did some work over the weekend! I'll post a few pics and try to go in chronological order.

Last Friday I got to thinking about Patryk's PnP activation module harness and Technics Hi-fi harness. I don't think that both would fit in in the CIC area.

I think the only option is to combine both harnesses into one. I'm thinking that the PnP activation module would take priority here. Here's a pic of the mod.

Balbs' CIC Retrofit w\Combox +6NR, PnP-pnpharnessblend.jpeg

Top left pic: shows the Technic harness on the Left and Patryk PnP harness on the right. As you can see both are huge. The final goal is to move the relay to the PnP harness and replace the Pink audio from the PnP harness with the audio in\out cables (blue, green, white, grey, purple, black wires) from the Technic harness.
Top right pic: Sorry the harness positions are swapped. PnP harness on the left and Technic on the right. I spliced relay connectors on the PnP harness to accommodate the relay from the Technic harness.
Bottom Left pic: I was trying to figure out how to swap the audio cable plugs. It turns out, if you stick a tiny screw driver in the connectors as shown, you can release the wires and move them to the PnP harness
Bottom Right pic: I labeled the relay and it's corresponding color connector.

I didn't have time to do any audio stuff at the moment. I'll transfer the audio cables when I'm ready to do the audio update. Right now I just want to get the CIC install going.

More to come...

Quick Reply: Balbs' CIC Retrofit w\Combox +6NR, PnP