E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Backup Cam & Front Cam Mod Complete

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 09:49 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Here's the thing Coldlist, from your second from the last esponse, you basically have confirmed what I thought you implied in your first post.

You're basically hating on a method that does not require spending the dollar amount that you have placed to an equivalent value on BMWs. I personally think that that is an absolutely wrong mentality when it comes to putting things together. Just because it's a BMW, it's not high and mighty , and more importantly, above the basics

Though one thing we, and everyone can easily agree on is the aesthetics part of it. If it looked like ass, stupid, or basically in any way detract from the car visually, it would not be a mod worthwhile to do in my opinion. But here's the problem: you jumped the gun and because you read "chicken wire" you already and automatically think it's ass and unworthy.

Now let me tell you, and Maddog will say the same as well, that when you are looking at the finished product, you CANNOT even see the mount even when you're a foot away. It blends in that seamlessly and basically it looks like it has disappeared (which makes the front cam looks like it's floating -- kind of cool in its own way).

The only way that you can see the chicken wire is if you are literally head on the ground next up to it that you can see what it is.

Considering the part cost all of $10, and took 20 minutes to put together, it certainly makes a hell of a lot more sense to do, as opposed to hacking and gutting out the front bumper for a mount.

I am sure that most of us get that you love BMWs and E60s, so much that you have a relatively young 550, but still went out and bought an E60 M5. It's cool, but it doesn't always have to be Break My Wallet to do a mod.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i sport package

From the pictures, you can't tell how its mounted. Nice work Simon.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

OH SNAP!!

take that Simon! step yo game up player!!!! lmao!

j/k simon does first rate work haha

Originally Posted by ColdList
Something more like this. Bracket w/o chicken wire. Much cleaner. Alternatively, A custom mesh insert for the lower grill made from OEM E60 M5 or MTech lower grill mesh with camera mounted similarly to the way OP mounted. Again, cleaner and OEM looking. There is my suggestion and method(s) that I would use on one of my cars. End of juvenile comments.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pradden
Great job guys. What was the total cost of the cameras?
I agree - but what was the total approximate cost of the hardware (cameras and interface)?

And, have you saved many chickens from death by cooling fan
Old 09-23-2012, 02:18 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i sport package

I recall the cameras are 160 ea and the interface is 389. Everything is plus shipping.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:56 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by onetime
From the pictures, you can't tell how its mounted. Nice work Simon.
Yes, thank you sir! From the second picture in the fourth post, you can hardly see it, and that with the picture taken that up close.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Modded 2010 Carbon Black M5 SMG and Modded 2008 Dinan 550i Sport

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Though one thing we, and everyone can easily agree on is the aesthetics part of it. If it looked like ass, stupid, or basically in any way detract from the car visually, it would not be a mod worthwhile to do in my opinion. But here's the problem: you jumped the gun and because you read "chicken wire" you already and automatically think it's ass and unworthy.

Now let me tell you, and Maddog will say the same as well, that when you are looking at the finished product, you CANNOT even see the mount even when you're a foot away. It blends in that seamlessly and basically it looks like it has disappeared (which makes the front cam looks like it's floating -- kind of cool in its own way).

The only way that you can see the chicken wire is if you are literally head on the ground next up to it that you can see what it is.
OK, we actually are in agreement then. First thing I saw was this roll of chicken wire and then a guy standing there in a teddy bear shirt holding it up (you can imagine what I had going through my head in terms of attention (or lack thereof) to detail-lol!). No offense Maddog. It IS pretty funny). I did not see ti in person so I cannot be the judge of the final product. Incidentally I STILL think you are taking my comments WAY to seriously Simon. It was a pure and simple very quick comment about chicken wire on a BMW installed by a dude in his teddy bear Jersey-hahahaha

We don't agree on one thing though...BMW are sort of "high and mighty"...not in an arrogant fashion, but in a quality of design and build. That is where the "anti-chicken wire" sentiment comes from.

And I DO regularly inspect all BMWs from ground level. I am starting a nationwide search for chicken-wired BMWs and handing out citations! Today, I'll also be starting a change.org petition!

Now I am going to hate to have to fly out to CA and beat you west coast fools down. You'll all be found wrapped in chicken wire and 3M wrap!

-Mike
Ugh...this was never meant to get so serious I promise. I surrender!

And Chris.......just two words for ya........GO IRISH! hahahahahahahahahahaha! (You guys weren't even looking as good as the Irish from start!)
Attached Thumbnails Backup Cam & Front Cam Mod Complete-notredame.jpg  
Old 09-24-2012, 07:26 AM
Contributors

You obviously don't do any work on the car yourself then if you think BMW is all about design, build, and quality.

Remember, you were the one that type a wall of text after my simple inquiry.

And it's a hamster. Not a bear.

There is a lesson here, hah.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

Simon! That's a low blow!! Leave my beloved wolverines out if this!!! Lol

Nice pic of michigan girls tho... Def some hot ones around if you know where to look!
Old 09-24-2012, 08:06 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: 09' E92 M3

Simon rocks

Quick Reply: Backup Cam & Front Cam Mod Complete