E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Backup Cam & Front Cam Mod Complete

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 09:58 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Backup & Front Cam mod complete!

I?ve converted my 2004 e60 545i with a backup camera & front camera mod.

Purchased: Front & Back up Cam with Interface Module from Modmynav.com (Kris).
Installed: Simon (nomis_nech on the board).
Time: 6 hours (includes OEM bumper mod).
Level: Lower Moderate Skill

Pros: Full idrive integration, Fast (no lag), interface module has 2 additional inputs, Front Cam!, PDC overlay on Cam Screen

Cons: None.

Rating: 5 / 5

With the help of Mr. Simon Chen my rear back up cam & front cam are complete.
This was a fairly straight forward operation, with some challenges, and a totally satisfying result.
I bought from Modmynav.com, who was helpful & quick to ship. Breakdown below?

Order:
I did a fair amount of research before deciding on this solution.
Other members commented on how modmynav had the best quality, speed & integration so I pulled the trigger.
I contacted Kris through their website, worked out the order to be compatible with my new CIC upgrade (a mod on top of a mod!), paid through PayPal, and had my product in 3 days.
Kris informed me in this process that the front cam is designed for Mtech bumper fits. It operates on a screw & bolt kind of design as you can see in the pictures. I have an OEM bumper & we took this challenge on & solved it, as noted below.

Install:
Modmynav provides detailed directions on their website. Still I prefer to work with people who know what their doing.
Im in San Diego & found Simon (nomis_nech) through the boards & referals.
Im glad I did as he was awesome in getting this wired & helping me solve for my OEM bumper workaround.
The backupcam is cleverly integrated into a new trunk opener handle. You pop out the old & pop in the new.
No one step was too difficult, but it involves removing the old handle, doing wire runs to the front cabin, removing the monitor of the CIC & connecting various plugs to the right places.
The camera connects to an interface module, that then connects to the CIC. The interfrace module has 3 inputs which is very cool. Im using 1 input for the front cam, while the back up cam has a direct connect solution.

The front camera was more of a challenge as we knew going in.
Without the Mtech bumper I didn?t have the platic grid on my lower bumper that I could cut out & secure the camera in.

We overcame this by:
- Standard Chicken Wire from Home Depot.
- Cut to fit one section of the front bumnper (see pics)
- Painted this silver wire black
- Cutout the camera location in wire & secured camera to the wire.
- Dropped this camera/wire combo from above by undoing the 7 screws on the top of the front bumper & pulling it forward 3 inches (did not remove the bumper)
- Lowered it into position, held it in place & secured with 4 black zip ties.

You will see the final product of this in the pictures below.

It turned out to be a great solution. Minimally invasive, almost invisible, and kind of cool to look at.
This whole workaround cost about $10 from home depot so definitely more affordable than going Mtech.

Experience:
I love both the front & backup camera.

? Backup Cam:
Ive had the back up in rentals & wanted them. I had a young child & wanted one. And its just very cool.
It comes on immediately when switching in reverse, fully integrated on the idrive screen, & turns off when back to drive.
In my version 2 unit for my CIC, it has a very good integration that has the full screen go to Backup Cam mode & then a small translucent / greyed out window showing the old PDC data we are used to. I get the visual benefit of the cam in back, the PDC heat map of the front & back, & the benefit of the beeps when getting close to something. That is great integration.
You have the option (through the remote) to turn on & off guidelines. I like mine without lines as they are kind of arbitrary. Others may like it.

? Front Cam:
This is a total guilty pleasure & I love it. This is wired through the multimedia box, so it operates like a normal composite input (red, white & yellow cables).
It is activated by hard key presses on either the Menu button on the idrive & / or the down button on the steering wheel. Hitting menu again brings you back to the last iDrive screen. Continuing to hard press while on Aux 1 will scroll thorugh Aux 2 & 3. You can hook up extra AV stuff here if you want. In my case Ill be splitting the rearcam signal & putting it on Aux 2. This will allow me to turn on rearcam while driving.
Kris told me upfront I needed the Mtech kit to mount the front cam. We worked around that & Im totally happy with this solution.

Overall:
At the end of the day, I now have a fully integrated back up cam & front cam.
BMW couldn?t have done it better.
No wires showing, clean install. Highly recommend.

See assorted Pics below!
Old 09-21-2012, 10:04 AM
Members

Multimedia box being installed behind the CIC screen.
Yes that is a hornets nest of wires, but it all fits in nicely.

Wiring in the trunk on the passenger side & an upclose look at the backup cam as integrated into the new trunck handle.
You have to look closely as its almost invisible.
Attached Thumbnails Backup Cam & Front Cam Mod Complete-2012-09-18-11.02.37.jpg   Backup Cam & Front Cam Mod Complete-2012-09-18-11.02.45.jpg   Backup Cam & Front Cam Mod Complete-2012-09-10-10.35.12.jpg   Backup Cam & Front Cam Mod Complete-img_0680.jpg  
Old 09-21-2012, 10:14 AM
Members

Screen mod for mounting the front cam on the OEM bumper.

Bulk chicken wire
Painted with cutout
Mounting the camera
& Dropping it in...
Attached Thumbnails Backup Cam & Front Cam Mod Complete-2012-09-21-07.19.02.jpg   Backup Cam & Front Cam Mod Complete-2012-09-18-14.18.45.jpg   Backup Cam & Front Cam Mod Complete-2012-09-18-14.21.50.jpg   Backup Cam & Front Cam Mod Complete-2012-09-18-11.03.11.jpg  
Old 09-21-2012, 10:25 AM
Members

Here is the final look & feel of the setup.

Note the Backup Cam activated pic with the greyed out PDC info. I really like that.
Last Pic is my front cam. Perfectly framed by a bit of my bumper lip which I like. If you wanted you could mount it forward & eliminate this.
Attached Thumbnails Backup Cam & Front Cam Mod Complete-img_0677.jpg   Backup Cam & Front Cam Mod Complete-2012-09-18-14.39.14.jpg   Backup Cam & Front Cam Mod Complete-img_0681.jpg   Backup Cam & Front Cam Mod Complete-img_0682.jpg  
Old 09-21-2012, 11:04 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i Titanium Silver::Sport Package::Premium Package

Very, very clever! Simon told me that the install was a success. I'm actually heading to his place tomorrow to do the same thing! Glad to hear another positive review.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Modded 2010 Carbon Black M5 SMG and Modded 2008 Dinan 550i Sport

Love the idea but "chicken wire" on the front of the car is a serious thumbs down man. Painted or not. :thumbsdown:
Old 09-21-2012, 11:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

Great job guys. What was the total cost of the cameras?
Old 09-21-2012, 01:00 PM
Members

Chicken Wire: Agree to disagree. I love it!

Cost: Check it all out on modmynav.com, Kris can give pricing.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:04 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by ColdList
Love the idea but "chicken wire" on the front of the car is a serious thumbs down man. Painted or not. :thumbsdown:
I would like to hear what your better idea.

Chris, awesome write up, this was a lot more than I expected you to write, hah!
Old 09-21-2012, 04:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Modded 2010 Carbon Black M5 SMG and Modded 2008 Dinan 550i Sport

Hey, most people appreciate feedback on their mods, etc. I was not being nasty, just my OPINION. The OP has a VERY nice car and put a heck of a lot of effort into a cool mod. I just happened to feel differently about ONE LITTLE BIT of a big project. I for one (as well as most other board members) appreciate both positive and potentially helpful feedback on my mods. When you are modding, it helps to give you a different perspective when a third party gives you feedback and "tweak" things. I never give feedback nor do I receive it with hard feelings. The OP didn't but apparently YOU did. Pretty funny. not even your thread. If I were you I would refrain from posting your mods if you are going to be so sensitive.

To the OP. If that was offensive, I apologize. I see from your response that you prob didn't think so. Fact is, I think it is a pretty darn sweet mod. We just have difference in opinions about how we'd mount the front cam. Not really a big deal. I could have given my opinion a bit more tactfully I suppose though. In any case, great job! And I don't mean that gratuitously. Big undertaking and very well done. I'd love to have a front cam on my car so my wife doesn't have to always get out and tell me how close I am to the curb. We look ridiculous at restaurants!

Quick Reply: Backup Cam & Front Cam Mod Complete