E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Backup Cam & Front Cam Mod Complete

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 08:40 PM
DBU
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on Simon being "the man" when it comes to back-up camera installation and general coding.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

+1 for Simon and his coding skills!
Old 09-22-2012, 11:02 AM
Members

No offense taken cold list.
Keep contributing & giving your opinion.

I will say one thing: Simon is the man! whipped this bad boy together & it is cool.

Backup Cam:
wanted to add here that its perfect that you get a little bit of the tail bumper at the bottom of the screen to ensure you can tell where you car is vs. objects around you.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by ColdList
Hey, most people appreciate feedback on their mods, etc. I was not being nasty, just my OPINION. The OP has a VERY nice car and put a heck of a lot of effort into a cool mod. I just happened to feel differently about ONE LITTLE BIT of a big project. I for one (as well as most other board members) appreciate both positive and potentially helpful feedback on my mods. When you are modding, it helps to give you a different perspective when a third party gives you feedback and "tweak" things. I never give feedback nor do I receive it with hard feelings. The OP didn't but apparently YOU did. Pretty funny. not even your thread. If I were you I would refrain from posting your mods if you are going to be so sensitive.

To the OP. If that was offensive, I apologize. I see from your response that you prob didn't think so. Fact is, I think it is a pretty darn sweet mod. We just have difference in opinions about how we'd mount the front cam. Not really a big deal. I could have given my opinion a bit more tactfully I suppose though. In any case, great job! And I don't mean that gratuitously. Big undertaking and very well done. I'd love to have a front cam on my car so my wife doesn't have to always get out and tell me how close I am to the curb. We look ridiculous at restaurants!
Uhh, I simply said "I would like to hear your better idea". It's you that is making it into a paragraph.

Check yourself. And really, you offered nothing to what I inquired, so please try again.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Modded 2010 Carbon Black M5 SMG and Modded 2008 Dinan 550i Sport

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Uhh, I simply said "I would like to hear your better idea". It's you that is making it into a paragraph.

Check yourself. And really, you offered nothing to what I inquired, so please try again.
Something more like this. Bracket w/o chicken wire. Much cleaner. Alternatively, A custom mesh insert for the lower grill made from OEM E60 M5 or MTech lower grill mesh with camera mounted similarly to the way OP mounted. Again, cleaner and OEM looking. There is my suggestion and method(s) that I would use on one of my cars. End of juvenile comments.
Attached Thumbnails Backup Cam & Front Cam Mod Complete-camera.jpg   Backup Cam & Front Cam Mod Complete-camera2.jpg  
Old 09-23-2012, 05:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Please do you homework better then.

Go take a closer look at how pre-LCI stock bumper looks, and tell us how it would be reasonable to buy a Mtech or M5 lower mesh grille, and fit it into the pre-LCI stock bumper.

Not only does the shape not fit all due to the design of the stock bumper, even if you do have a shop custom fit it (which means the stock slant parts would all have to come out), it would look completely strange with how the left and right pieces (where the fogs are located) are.

Unless you are suggesting to get two more lower mesh grilles and custom cut those too, AND make a mount for the fogs?

Come on now. (Not to mention pre-LCI stock bumper does not have honeycomb grilles anywhere, why in the world would you throw that in there in the first place?)

For the record, I know how the camera is mounted on cars with Mtech and M5 front bumper, I have done plenty, and have it on my car too.

Again, I reiterate, I would like to hear a better idea.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:20 AM
Senior Members

You and I can go back and forth for days on end about our opinions and alternative mounting methods The ENTIRE point that I am trying to make without sounding like a jerk is that I do not think that "chicken wire" has any place PERIOD on the front (or any other place) on a BMW. When it comes to resorting to using "best of the worst" methods in order to put a mod on a car, then frankly, I opt against the mod period. Modding is sort of an art. Two ways that work: Subtle and Classy or Aggressive resulting in "better then OEM styling" (ie: John Morgan Evans). In my HUMBLE opinion, there is that in-between ground where modding is overdone just for the sake of modding. I gave two examples of alternatives that would certainly retain a more OEM look. Took two mins of "Google". I would start with a process like that as I began thinking about the mod and I would entertain those and similar ideas, that would arise after more lengthy exploration and examination of additional alternatives, and then I would look at viable end results from there. If I looked closely at a Pre-LCI OEM bumper and the mesh was not a fit, then yes, I would concede that it is a bad idea and discard it. If I tried a simple bracket mount and it did not look clean then yes, I would discard that too.I would follow this process until I found a solution that was suitable. I don't know...just sort of my way. I like to make things look "perfect". Not everyone is this way and that of course is perfectly OK. We are all individuals with different tastes and ways of doing things-sort of the idea of "modding" in the first place right? We are trying to be a bit unique with our cars. However, If I ended up, after all alternatives were exhausted, being left with only options that in my OPINION took away from OEM and/or classy (which would include the use of any/all materials/fixes below what I consider quality befitting a BMW, and thus caused a degradation to the car's appearance for the sake of adding a mod) then the mod is scrapped. On several occasions, upon receiving a mod that was not up to my personal standard, I have done just that. In fact, last week a custom front cf splitter was scrapped for my M5 because of sub par material and workmanship which in my OPINION was not suitable for the car. And while it may have added a somewhat "cool" look, I believe that many fellow M5 owners would have looked at it and said "you could have gone with better quality" or "something is just not "right"". Notice that I said OPINION, which is the beauty of modding. The opinion that matters in the end is that of the car owner. If he/she is happy then it is a successful mod. Referencing my statement to the OP that I was giving "feedback", you can see the correlation here. My opinion or yours does not really matter at all. However, if our input helps the owner to come up with something better then GREAT. If not, then oh well. No harm done. Like I said before, I try to take and give forum feedback as simply subjective criticism. In a nutshell, stripping away all these layers of back and forth about who has better ideas; I never claimed, nor do I claim to be any sort of expert on camera mounts. I simply don't like chicken wire on a BMW. And that is just my OPINION. Frankly, I believe that I have done a pretty good job at holding standards high and ending up with classy looking modded cars in my garage. That is my OPINION and yours may be different. And I would respect that.

Cheers,

-Mike
Old 09-23-2012, 09:00 AM
DBU
Contributors

This mod (front camera) is all about functionality. I see three criteria that should be met to in order to call this mod a success:
- the functionality is there: Yes it works beautifully
- the owner of the car is happy: yes, he appears happy
- a casual observer of the car wouldn't recognize that there is chicken wire on the car: Forum members are hardly "casual observers"

YMMV
Old 09-23-2012, 09:22 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 AW N52 with sports package & premium package; natural brown interior MODs: Orion V2s 3000K H8 Yellow Fogs Matte Black Kidney Grills 20" Miro 111 Hankook V12 Tires H&R Sport Springs Special coding via Simon (dbl flash hazards, digital velocity, etc.) LED Side Markers from Trinity Autosports LED License Plate Lights from Trinity Autosports Carbon Delete BMC Air Filter RPI Scoop RPI GT Exhaust Future MODs: Mtech Kit KW Variant 2 Coilovers CIC Retrofit Upgrade Audio System

Nice job. Once again you da man Simon.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:32 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DBU
This mod (front camera) is all about functionality. I see three criteria that should be met to in order to call this mod a success:
- the functionality is there: Yes it works beautifully
- the owner of the car is happy: yes, he appears happy
- a casual observer of the car wouldn't recognize that there is chicken wire on the car: Forum members are hardly "casual observers"

YMMV
Agreed 100%. lol! "Forum members are hardly "casual observers". That is probably the truest statement in this entire forum!

Quick Reply: Backup Cam & Front Cam Mod Complete