E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

B&B exhaust without resonators

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 07:30 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

After a few months of mulling over which exhaust to get, I decided to get the B&B exhaust. Purcheased off bavauto.com for 4710 and got them installed by a muffler shop nearest to home for $50. This forum made me aware of the issue of the B&Bs hanging way too low, and the installer solved the problem by changing the rubber hanger to a smaller one and thus problem solved. The exhaust tips look really wonderful, I thought I would need to purhcase Schnitzer exhaust tips but the B&B tips seem fine for me.

Driving impressions: All I can say is that the exhaust is really loud, partly also because I removed the 2 resonators and replaced everything with straight pipes. At 1-2K rpm the resonance is crazy (Obviously). Now I understand why I hear some member(s) complain about the system being too loud for their wives/kids etc. I have none so I do not care

However, nothing is perfect and I only have one problem with the exhaust. From 1-2K rpm it sounds nice and loud. However, the sound seems to disappear as I climb up the rev range. I find this kinda disappointing. I expect the car to sound strong and nice throughout its rpm range all the way to redline but at about 4500rpm its ALMOST as quiet as stock with minimal difference. :thumbsdown:

Oh, and for those who thought changing exhaust would make the car somewhat faster, forget it. I could not feel any difference in either throttle response or any extra surge in power, but I expected that so no complains about that.

All in all, I find the exhaust to be "OK" and not the "WOW" I was expecting mainly due to the lack of sound at higher RPM range. I wonder if teh Remus, Eisenmann ot Kelleners would have the same problem??

*I have to admit though its more fun to heel-toe and rev-match"
Old 12-27-2005, 08:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Jeffs' post='216154' date='Dec 27 2005, 11:30 PM
After a few months of mulling over which exhaust to get, I decided to get the B&B exhaust. Purcheased off bavauto.com for 4710 and got them installed by a muffler shop nearest to home for $50. This forum made me aware of the issue of the B&Bs hanging way too low, and the installer solved the problem by changing the rubber hanger to a smaller one and thus problem solved. The exhaust tips look really wonderful, I thought I would need to purhcase Schnitzer exhaust tips but the B&B tips seem fine for me.

Driving impressions: All I can say is that the exhaust is really loud, partly also because I removed the 2 resonators and replaced everything with straight pipes. At 1-2K rpm the resonance is crazy (Obviously). Now I understand why I hear some member(s) complain about the system being too loud for their wives/kids etc. I have none so I do not care

However, nothing is perfect and I only have one problem with the exhaust. From 1-2K rpm it sounds nice and loud. However, the sound seems to disappear as I climb up the rev range. I find this kinda disappointing. I expect the car to sound strong and nice throughout its rpm range all the way to redline but at about 4500rpm its ALMOST as quiet as stock with minimal difference. :thumbsdown:

Oh, and for those who thought changing exhaust would make the car somewhat faster, forget it. I could not feel any difference in either throttle response or any extra surge in power, but I expected that so no complains about that.

All in all, I find the exhaust to be "OK" and not the "WOW" I was expecting mainly due to the lack of sound at higher RPM range. I wonder if teh Remus, Eisenmann ot Kelleners would have the same problem??

I am glad you like it well enough. I am sure it is quite loud without the resonators. I suspect you just don't hear the muffler's loudness as well once more competing noises are introduced.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:17 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Jeffs' post='216154' date='Dec 27 2005, 08:30 PM
FWIW, most exhaust mods tend to increase peak hp at the expense of decreasing low end torque.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

I removed the 2 resonators and replaced everything with straight pipes.
Just to clarify, you removed the pair of canister-shaped front resonators and the box-shaped rear resonator?

Or just the two canister-shaped resonators in the front?
Old 12-28-2005, 12:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

Would love to see some pics. Also, by removing all of the restriction, I'm sure you must have picked up some better 1/4 mile and 0-100 times. I would guess maybe a tenth or 2 quicker in the 1/4 and around 1/2 mile an hour faster. Not really anything you can feel seat of the pants but thats what I've found at the track after making this kind of mod on past cars I've owned.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Hi Jeffs:

Why don't you buy a Passport GT2 and join in on the G-Meter thread?
Old 12-28-2005, 04:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='216392
Just to clarify, you removed the pair of canister-shaped front resonators and the box-shaped rear resonator?

[/quote]
I removed everything....its all straight from the catalytic converter back....trying to remove the converters but cant find any shop man enough to take the challenge...

Hi Jeffs:

[/quote]
Great idea Don I'll do that.....why the Z??

I cant wait to try it out....New England dragway opens somewhere around march i think....i'd like to have a go....hopefully I'll have my ECU tuned up or cats removed by then. I also plan on going to KTR performance in MA to get my car dynoed...
Old 12-28-2005, 06:10 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Jeffs' post='216554

I removed everything....its all straight from the catalytic converter back....trying to remove the converters but cant find any shop man enough to take the challenge...

Hi Jeffs:

[/quote]
Great idea Don I'll do that.....why the Z??

Good deal. I strongly recommed the Passport GT2 to the VTech Pro SS. They both are fine little machines, but the first gives much more data without going a full 1/4 mile. And, check post #81 here for Z info.

I cant wait to try it out....New England dragway opens somewhere around march i think....i'd like to have a go....hopefully I'll have my ECU tuned up or cats removed by then. I also plan on going to KTR performance in MA to get my car dynoed...

I am looking forward to your results. Get your G-meter before you go to the strip to form some expectations about how your car will do and to practice a bit before hand. And, you will be able to calibrate the G-meter at the strip so that it gives extra accurate times in comparison the strip.
[/quote]
Old 12-28-2005, 08:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 645Ci black/red, Eibach springs, K&N air filter, Wetterauer ECU upgrade, Eisenmann 83mmx4 exhaust, 20" Sportec wheels-Michelin PS2 tires, Hamann front add-on lip

Ehm... I might think of removing my front silencer. I have removed the center silencer but the exhaust sound is only slightly louder, about 10% louder. The eisenmann on my 645ci sound throaty through the entire rev range. However, I'm not sure if it will sound the same on 545. Both car share the same engine though. Is it because the the bypass on the front silencer that cause silence on the upper rev range.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Hey Jeffs,

Can you provide sound clips of your new setup?
I am trying to decide if I want straight pipes too.

Quick Reply: B&B exhaust without resonators