E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

AUX input static/high pitched whining noises

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 09:27 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys...

Had the Aux In installed several weeks ago...costs about $125 from dealer. I watched the BMW tech install it and was amazed that BMW would put something this hokie out as a mod to one of their systems. The tech has to get into the back of the CCC or CD player, whichever one you have, then strip the connector (3 of them) off of the female end of the Aux In, and then finally push the strippened ends into three specific positions on the mail recepticle from the CCC/CD (which is then reinstalled into the CCC/CD player)...

The bottom line is that, in my opinion, it would be very easy for a tech who has not done this mod before to install the stripped female leads into the wrong positions or to not secure them properly once they have been installed. It is a very straight forward/easy procedure to do, but if the stripped leads are not put into the correct position or not secured, you will not be satisfied. Not having either left or right channels tells me a lead was installed incorrectly, having a whine is definitely a bad ground, etc...

I am using mine to run my XM radio and it is being powered by a cig lighter adapter without a problem...just wish the volume on the Aux In was louder...I have to crank the Aux In all the way up to hear the XM and then when I go to FM or CD I get blown out of the car until I turn the vol down...

If you are having any problems, I would go back to the dealer and have them check it out for proper installation...
Old 08-23-2007, 04:45 PM
Members

Originally Posted by spectrumsp' post='437016' date='Jun 18 2007, 01:27 PM
Guys...

Had the Aux In installed several weeks ago...costs about $125 from dealer. I watched the BMW tech install it and was amazed that BMW would put something this hokie out as a mod to one of their systems. The tech has to get into the back of the CCC or CD player, whichever one you have, then strip the connector (3 of them) off of the female end of the Aux In, and then finally push the strippened ends into three specific positions on the mail recepticle from the CCC/CD (which is then reinstalled into the CCC/CD player)...

The bottom line is that, in my opinion, it would be very easy for a tech who has not done this mod before to install the stripped female leads into the wrong positions or to not secure them properly once they have been installed. It is a very straight forward/easy procedure to do, but if the stripped leads are not put into the correct position or not secured, you will not be satisfied. Not having either left or right channels tells me a lead was installed incorrectly, having a whine is definitely a bad ground, etc...

I am using mine to run my XM radio and it is being powered by a cig lighter adapter without a problem...just wish the volume on the Aux In was louder...I have to crank the Aux In all the way up to hear the XM and then when I go to FM or CD I get blown out of the car until I turn the vol down...

If you are having any problems, I would go back to the dealer and have them check it out for proper installation...
After I had mine installed, I had the same problem described. I checked the installation and I noticed 1 of the pins to be in the wrong position. I brought it to the attention of the service writer and they tried to fix it for me. They changed the location of the wire to the proper slot, and I am still having issues. They even purchased installed a brand new cable, still the same thing.

Do you know if you have the same volume coming from both sides of the car? On mine, I can only hear the passenger side sounds. When I have the lights on I can hear the noise feedback LOUDLY, to the point where using the AUX in is impossible.

More importantly, have you fixed this issue?
Old 08-23-2007, 05:16 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i 06/2004 Build Date

Originally Posted by spectrumsp' post='437016' date='Jun 18 2007, 01:27 PM
I had my AUX input installed a couple weeks ago, but no issues other than the known 'low volume' quirk... and the lack of some bass when compared to the other modes (FM/AM/CD), but it's livable.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:08 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by oh530i' post='461909' date='Aug 23 2007, 09:16 PM
I had my AUX input installed a couple weeks ago, but no issues other than the known 'low volume' quirk... and the lack of some bass when compared to the other modes (FM/AM/CD), but it's livable.
My $.02. ipod hooked to cig adapter (monster i-charger) with audio out from the bottom of ipod (5th gen w/video) I get the elctronic whine in between songs. My ears are extra sensitive to those types of frequencies (nails on chalkboard) so I just left the charger in the bottom of ipod and plugged in the aux to the headphone jack. No more whine for me.

Still a horrible solution and I see a DIY ipod adapter in my future.