E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Aux Audio Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 07:08 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by bdav' date='Jun 22 2005, 08:02 AM
Had a look - cant find the PDF - any idea where it was?
[snapback]141931[/snapback]
Here's the instructions. It references a few other docs (for disconnecting battery, removing dash trim, glove box door, accessing module to plug harness into, etc.):
5_series_aux_input.pdf

FWIW, I paid $64 (after BMWCCA discount) for part and $140 labor. The instructions say it's a 1 hour job.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 (born 11/04) 525i Touring: jet black, bi-xenons, sports suspension, extended air conditioning. Retrofits: hinged cubby hole, AUX-input, generic I-Drive video interface (a.k.a. xbox-e60) Warranty repairs: software update, door seals replaced, loose aluminium trim fixed. Repairs: Self-levelling compressor.

Originally Posted by stream' date='Jun 22 2005, 06:08 PM
[quote name='bdav' date='Jun 22 2005, 08:02 AM']Had a look - cant find the PDF - any idea where it was?
Here's the instructions. It references a few other docs (for disconnecting battery, removing dash trim, glove box door, accessing module to plug harness into, etc.):
Attachment 8663

FWIW, I paid $64 (after BMWCCA discount) for part and $140 labor. The instructions say it's a 1 hour job.
[snapback]141934[/snapback]
[/quote]

I just booked the AUX installation for next week.
Here in Finland it's 72?(parts) + 1,5h of labour (80?/h) so it's nearly 200? totally... but if you need it you've to got it
Old 06-29-2005, 09:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 (born 11/04) 525i Touring: jet black, bi-xenons, sports suspension, extended air conditioning. Retrofits: hinged cubby hole, AUX-input, generic I-Drive video interface (a.k.a. xbox-e60) Warranty repairs: software update, door seals replaced, loose aluminium trim fixed. Repairs: Self-levelling compressor.

Originally Posted by petri' date='Jun 23 2005, 10:55 AM
[quote name='stream' date='Jun 22 2005, 06:08 PM'][quote name='bdav' date='Jun 22 2005, 08:02 AM']Had a look - cant find the PDF - any idea where it was?
Attachment 8663

[snapback]141934[/snapback]
[/quote]

I just booked the AUX installation for next week.
Here in Finland it's 72?(parts) + 1,5h of labour (80?/h) so it's nearly 200? totally... but if you need it you've to got it
[snapback]142291[/snapback]
[/quote]

Just got the AUX installation done... F**k, it doesn't work. Can't hear anything. Have to get to the dealer tomorrow. I've read that others also had to go twice for that AUX installation

btw... added bonus was that I got 30g terminal available done by the dealer I can now power my I-Drive interface with it instead of cig lighter
Old 07-20-2005, 09:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 2009 550i, Carbon Black/Natural with nav, heads up, night vision, sport seats, window shades,
Red face

First of all, let me thank all participants in this forum for your info regarding aux audio input installation.

I am a new owner of a 2005 545, and just went through a VERY frustrating experience with a dealer in Dallas regarding the aux audio input.

After providing him with several bits of info from this forum, it took three trips to the dealer to make my aux input work. Of course, the dealer had no idea what exactly I was requesting the first time we spoke. After a tedious explanation of what an auxiliary audio input is (and clarification that I didn't expect actual iPod integration, just a simple input), he ordered the kit from BMW. However, he refused to note my VIN so that he could get the correct kit for my particular build, so the first kit did not work. After procuring the correct kit from BMW, he called me back to the dealership a second time for the install. However, the technician did not bother to test the input, as recommended by BMW (and just common sense!). Therefore, as I drove away from the dealer, I noticed that there was no AUX selection in the entertainment section of iDrive. Obviously, this was not going to work.

So, I had to come back a THIRD time for reprogramming and software upgrade to 17.1. (How can I tell what rev I have?). The programming/upgrade phase took more than five hours! The dealer stated that the software is downloaded to the car directly from BMWNA via the internet, and thus is dependent on the speed of the internet on that particular day. Anyone believe that? I would think that a "live" download would be terribly inefficient and prone to error. I figured BMW provided CDs of the current software to the dealers. Hmmmm.

Finally, after three visits, countless phone conversations and damage to the wood surrounding the CD player (!!!), the aux input is in and working.

Now, believe it or not, this nightmare was all worth it! The iPod sounds great through the aux input. (I must point out that I am somewhat of an audio snob and use huge AIF files on my 60GB iPod (MP3s sound terrible to me).) Also, I use the line-out of the iPod, NOT the headphone output. SendStation in Germany makes a great little adapter called the PocketDock (http://www.sendstation.com/) that allows line-out use. I ordered one from their website and received it (from Germany to Dallas) in less than a week!

Thanks for allowing me to vent my frustrations, and good luck!
Old 07-21-2005, 01:53 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by jet5' date='Jul 20 2005, 10:36 PM
First of all, let me thank all participants in this forum for your info regarding aux audio input installation.

I am a new owner of a 2005 545, and just went through a VERY frustrating experience with a dealer in Dallas regarding the aux audio input.

After providing him with several bits of info from this forum, it took three trips to the dealer to make my aux input work.? Of course, the dealer had no idea what exactly I was requesting the first time we spoke.? After a tedious explanation of what an auxiliary audio input is (and clarification that I didn't expect actual iPod integration, just a simple input), he ordered the kit from BMW.? However, he refused to note my VIN so that he could get the correct kit for my particular build, so the first kit did not work.? After procuring the correct kit from BMW, he called me back to the dealership a second time for the install.? However, the technician did not bother to test the input, as recommended by BMW (and just common sense!).? Therefore, as I drove away from the dealer, I noticed that there was no AUX selection in the entertainment section of iDrive.? Obviously, this was not going to work.

So, I had to come back a THIRD time for reprogramming and software upgrade to 17.1.? (How can I tell what rev I have?).? The programming/upgrade phase took more than five hours!? The dealer stated that the software is downloaded to the car directly from BMWNA via the internet, and thus is dependent on the speed of the internet on that particular day.? Anyone believe that?? I would think that a "live" download would be terribly inefficient and prone to error.? I figured BMW provided CDs of the current software to the dealers.? Hmmmm.

Finally, after three visits, countless phone conversations and damage to the wood surrounding the CD player (!!!), the aux input is in and working.

Now, believe it or not, this nightmare was all worth it!? The iPod sounds great through the aux input.? (I must point out that I am somewhat of an audio snob and use huge AIF files on my 60GB iPod (MP3s sound terrible to me).)? Also, I use the line-out of the iPod, NOT the headphone output.? SendStation in Germany makes a great little adapter called the PocketDock (http://www.sendstation.com/) that allows line-out use.? I ordered one from their website and received it (from Germany to Dallas) in less than a week!

Thanks for allowing me to vent my frustrations, and good luck!
[snapback]151463[/snapback]
What a hassle, but glad it worked out.

Here's a post with my iPod hardwire install:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=12430