E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Audio System Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 01:22 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Hi all,
I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I am an owner of a 2005 520i.
In my car I have the standard sound system.
That is not the HiFi 10 speakers system. It is the same system but with only 8 speakers, since I don't have the two subwoofers (which are not subwoofers) under the front seats.

I knew from the beginning that neither the HiFi system nor the Logic7 system sounded good. When I heard both I was really disappointed, so I decided to save the money and upgrade the sound system later.

Now I wanted to know the size of the door midrange speakers. Also did anyone replace them? I own a set of Alpine Type-X components and I would like to install them in my front doors.

Also as a hint for all of you who want to upgrade their sound system. JL audio has created a product called CleanSweep. This is an anti-equalizer that detects the frequency curve produced by the headunit then compensates for the lowered frequencies so that you can get a decent flat frequency curve insteat of the stupid curve produced by the headunit.

I am thinking of installing CleanSweep, then connecting the two front Alpine Type-X comps and my amp and sub.

So does anyone know what size are the speakers in the front doors?
Old 08-09-2005, 04:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Ok.

So no one knows the size of the door speakers?

Please try to help me on this matter.

Thanks.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:45 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Shebs' date='Aug 9 2005, 02:37 PM
Ok.

So no one knows the size of the door speakers?

Please try to help me on this matter.

Thanks.
[snapback]157480[/snapback]
4" / 10cm. Different mouting, though. Just three mouting "ears". Two in the regular possition, and one in the middle of where the standard "ears" are. I installed Infinity Kappa components, and had to dremmel brackets. Not too hard if your a little DIY, though.

The standard stereo (europe) comes with NO tweeter, so this was a big improvement.

Oh - and you DO have "subs" under your seats. Every audio option does, but with "standard" it is wired in parallel with the front speakers.

A