E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Audio system, completed

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 05:26 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

Originally Posted by Hamann5' date='Jun 2 2005, 05:44 PM
well im gonna habe to fly to CA to see whos thumps louder .. haha jk looks very professional shit must bump good luck man?
[snapback]135653[/snapback]
Probably yours since you've got 500 more watts on the subs than mine. Ack. My next project is definitely going to be figuring out how to upgrade the E60's alt.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

how to upgrade the E60's alt
Is there enough room in the engine compartment? I was looking at my alternator, and it seems the engine compartment is rather cramped. But maybe because the V8 takes up more room than the 6-cyl.

This was the problem with my old Lexus. The engine compartment was so full, there wasn't any room to put a bigger alternator.

If you are not having problems with your power system, then you should be in good shape. You've got plenty of power running currently, so if there was going to be a problem.... you'd likely know it by now.

Maybe look into a upgraded battery, like an Optima Yellow-Top.... and then a large capacitor. AlumaPro C.A.P. is nice, because they are small but have tons of capacitance. (15 farads in one unit, smaller than half of one of your amps) The optima battery is nice, because its a deep cycle.... so even if you drain the battery, it can be recharged fully. And it has sweet warranty. You kill it, they replace it.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Jun 3 2005, 04:01 AM
how to upgrade the E60's alt
Is there enough room in the engine compartment? I was looking at my alternator, and it seems the engine compartment is rather cramped. But maybe because the V8 takes up more room than the 6-cyl.

This was the problem with my old Lexus. The engine compartment was so full, there wasn't any room to put a bigger alternator.

If you are not having problems with your power system, then you should be in good shape. You've got plenty of power running currently, so if there was going to be a problem.... you'd likely know it by now.

Maybe look into a upgraded battery, like an Optima Yellow-Top.... and then a large capacitor. AlumaPro C.A.P. is nice, because they are small but have tons of capacitance. (15 farads in one unit, smaller than half of one of your amps) The optima battery is nice, because its a deep cycle.... so even if you drain the battery, it can be recharged fully. And it has sweet warranty. You kill it, they replace it.
[snapback]135758[/snapback]
Perhaps the alternator can be re-wound? I'm going to make figuring out how to upgrade the alt a high-priority project.

I'd love an Optima because I'm currently always busting out my battery tuning the system in my garage. However, the stock battery in the trunk looks oddly shaped, so I'm not sure an Optima would fit. Time to measure...