E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

AR DESIGN DOWNPIPES

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 02:43 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TLO03
Not sure if this pic helps but shows passenger side axel removed. Very important that you find a good shop. I Think bmw tech told me its a 6 hr job. According to the book.

Your Dps are not AR design. haha did u encounter a smoking problem?
Old 01-20-2012, 02:46 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Persian_535i
Note to self, stay away from these downpipes...check.
the downpipes are not the problem.....its our engine or turbo. its something to do with the engine because all the dp does is allows the turbo to breath and creates less back pressure. it actually is better for the turbo. which is why its not the downpipes. you can get them but if there is a pre exhisting problem with your car that causes it to smoke you will see it.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:53 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: alpine white 535 E61
Model Year: 08

My downpipes are AR. I'm not aware of another company that makes them. Mine are coated . I have no problem with smoking. Sorry I thought you were still trying to install I need to RTFT..I have no clue what the smoke could be.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:19 AM
Senior Members

I like to go to the 335 guys, bigger sample size... Good info here.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ght=Smoking+dp
Old 01-21-2012, 05:30 AM
Senior Members

Double post
Old 01-23-2012, 10:01 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Persian_535i
Note to self, stay away from these downpipes...check.

+1
Old 01-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Senior Members

so after my long conversation with my service rep looks like my car is going in tomorrow and they are gunna take a look at my car. looking forward to my car getting fixed!
Old 01-25-2012, 03:39 PM
Members

we too put on the AR catless DP's, get smoke now, and no, they did not even come close to fitting the stock exhaust. YES, I did speak with AR and they assured me they would fit, and that they would send me a new set if these didn't line up but that they would be the exact same DP's as they use the same jig.. Although they get points for being available to talk to on the phone and offering to send new DP's (even to ceramic coat a set as I paid for that option on mine) but IMO they lose points for the fact the damned things just don't fit and for a car that costs as much as BMW's do, and for 4-freakin-feet of exhaust pipe to cost over $1300 (with coating, etc) I think that is absurd for them to be anything but perfect fitment.

I am going to be rerouting my PCV soon as I do on most all my vehicle as well as bypassing EGR as both are bad for your car.. I will update if anything changes on smoke but for now... if you want your car to remain clean, and smoke-free.. avoid these DP's.

I am a turbo-&-AWD fiends and almost all my vehicles are AWD and ALL are turbo and modified.. even mny turbo-diesel truck.. I have done more than my share of DP's and mods to turbo cars from my DSM's, to my Skyline GTR's (R33) and many many other turbo vehicles... I have to say that I was disappointed with the fitment but as usual, I love the power you get from 3"DP's but definitely not worth the money IMO.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:41 PM
Members

for the record, our car did eventually stop smoking with the DP's installed. It smoked pretty bad initially; looked like it was burning oil badly at first. after probably a month it slowed down and then stopped. We have added the ER FMIC to this car and had twin 3" pipes routed all the way back into twin straight-thru mufflers and it runs great now. I figured that after bashing AR so badly I should at least clarify that one point, about smoking.. they still didn't fit worth a damn but they work great. DEF not worth the money though. I should have just had some fabbed myself. oh well.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:02 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

I'm starting my install. Stopped right away with the bolts for the downpipes-to-midpipes connections. This car has had a lot of winters and those bolts were pretty bad so I took it to a shop to have the bolts removed and replaced with a fresh set.

Next step is to get them out! Anyone got any tips for getting the O2 electrical plugs disconnected? They seem really tight and getting the locking tabs open has been difficult.

Quick Reply: AR DESIGN DOWNPIPES