E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Anyone want to tell me what this is?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 12:07 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 525i Executive

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-TUNING-...d=p4506.c0.m245
Old 08-24-2009, 12:19 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530d Remapped 292BHP

Looks like a resister mod if it plug in to the Air flow meter. (i can't see the pic as im on a works computer) I could be wrong.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:30 AM
Contributors

40 hp in 1 minute? riiiiigghtt.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:01 AM
Senior Members

I doubt it's legit...or safe..seems like a shady seller too.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by borisnewn' post='986946' date='Aug 24 2009, 04:07 AM
ever think of asking the seller the same question, and instead starting a thread that provides at least some information - however right or wrong it may seem?

I've never heard of this thing, which means its most likely BS, but hey, I could be wrong - and those ads you get in your email for penis enlargement could add 3-4 inches to your member too, but hey, its safer not to f**k with that kinda sh*t - at least in my opinion... I'm not sure I'm making any kinda point here, but I'm sure I'm not sold on this "magic box" that adds 40HP:

It seems - from the pics - that this is some kind of air flow modulator, which would make no difference what-so-ever on the power output without a remap and a high-flow throttle body.

Think of it also this way: most people spend a lot more to get way fewer horses added to their cars and still aren't guaranteed any significant gains - don't you think this thing would've been at least as popular as the sprintbooster and Velocity Booster units, if it was legit?!
Old 08-24-2009, 05:10 AM
Members

Only two things this could do to make power. Assuming the engine would make more power with more or less fuel, you could alter the airflow signal to increase or decrease fuel delivery. The other thing it could do, which IMO, would really be the only way it could make power, would be by altering the air intake temp. By making the ECU think the incoming air was colder, you might be able to get it to run a bit more timing... 40hp worth of timing? doubtful. 10hp worth of timing? maybe....

All that said, it sounds to me like all this thing does is alter the main air flow signal voltage, which would just give you more or less fuel depending on where you set it. I can't really comment on whether or not it will make power, but if it were this easy, you would sure thing that the stage 1 dinan flashes would do a lot better than they do.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='986977' date='Aug 24 2009, 06:06 AM
ever think of asking the seller the same question, and instead starting a thread that provides at least some information - however right or wrong it may seem?

I've never heard of this thing, which means its most likely BS, but hey, I could be wrong - and those ads you get in your email for penis enlargement could add 3-4 inches to your member too, but hey, its safer not to f**k with that kinda sh*t - at least in my opinion... I'm not sure I'm making any kinda point here, but I'm sure I'm not sold on this "magic box" that adds 40HP:

It seems - from the pics - that this is some kind of air flow modulator, which would make no difference what-so-ever on the power output without a remap and a high-flow throttle body.

Think of it also this way: most people spend a lot more to get way fewer horses added to their cars and still aren't guaranteed any significant gains - don't you think this thing would've been at least as popular as the sprintbooster and Velocity Booster units, if it was legit?!
Nice analogy, V. I see that its definitely from personal experience.

Anyway, if this mod thing does work, then it would be heard by everyone by now. The fact that its sold on eBay, it sort of tells you what it is really.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: A Car faster than yours.....

Originally Posted by Billy T.' post='987019' date='Aug 24 2009, 06:10 AM
Only two things this could do to make power. Assuming the engine would make more power with more or less fuel, you could alter the airflow signal to increase or decrease fuel delivery. The other thing it could do, which IMO, would really be the only way it could make power, would be by altering the air intake temp. By making the ECU think the incoming air was colder, you might be able to get it to run a bit more timing... 40hp worth of timing? doubtful. 10hp worth of timing? maybe....

All that said, it sounds to me like all this thing does is alter the main air flow signal voltage, which would just give you more or less fuel depending on where you set it. I can't really comment on whether or not it will make power, but if it were this easy, you would sure thing that the stage 1 dinan flashes would do a lot better than they do.
lol, it looks like thats what it does. I wouldnt put that thing on my car. Changing the IAT signal and "tricking" the ecu into thinking its cooler will allow more timing. The airflow signal will also allow the car to run leaner. I think Dinan does something similar with the M5. I have seen the M5 guys with the Dinan intakes to have their sensors relocated.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 525i, 6spd manual, Premium pkg, Cold Weather pkg

Originally Posted by RPIpower' post='987317' date='Aug 24 2009, 03:02 PM
lol, it looks like thats what it does. I wouldnt put that thing on my car. Changing the IAT signal and "tricking" the ecu into thinking its cooler will allow more timing. The airflow signal will also allow the car to run leaner. I think Dinan does something similar with the M5. I have seen the M5 guys with the Dinan intakes to have their sensors relocated.
I'm not mechanically inclined, so could someone please explain why it would be bad to "trick" the ECU into thinking it was cooler?

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2009, 12:44 PM
Senior Members

seller has no feedback regarding this unit, and doesnt explain how this works......