E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Any interest in Back up camera ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 10:23 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW M3
Thumbs down

Hey guys,

I don't post here a lot, but decided to see if there is any interest in getting a "rear view camera" for your car ... I am working on putting a kit together that will be pretty much "plug and play" without making any changes to your trunk and without loosing your trunk lock. The system will be hooked up to your iDrive system and as an option you will be able to add a front view camera, night vision system and play movies from your iPod or Iphone as well.

Here are some quick pics of the camera on my car ( it is not hooked up yet, I am just test fitting it)

If you think this is something that you would like to have, feel free to pm me or e-mail me ( doba_s@mac.com ). Like I said, I don't post here a lot, so the best way to contact me will be via e-mail !

Old 11-04-2009, 12:24 AM
Senior Members

I have a few questions that I guess will be interesting for everyone, so I am putting them here instead of PM/email.

The camera looks bound to get dirty very fast at wet weather or winter times, especially in places where the roads have some dirt around. Do you have any comment on this? (The BMW OEM camera sits higher, just under the handle lid (I think its mounted within the handle) and it seems it will get dirty much harder than this one.)

Is this camera mounted in one of the number plate light wells? If so, is the light missing or is there a replacement lamp in the camera housing?

Does your kit require the OEM ACM module which is a big cost item (around $500)?

When integrating with iDrive, will one be able to see the PDC sensor diagram AND the camera view at the same time, or is the camera view taking all of the display space?

Will the kit be suitable for the E61 (I guess that should be the case as the trunk handle and number plate lights look identical)?

What is the estimated cost of your kit? Any group buy possibilities?
Old 11-04-2009, 03:06 AM
Senior Members

I would be interested if the price is right and depending on whether or not i need to buy any additional module, money permitting as well obviously.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i | sliver grey metallic | SMG trans | sports package | premium | cold weather | HUD | navi | PDC | sunshades | logic 7 | Ipod | MODS - (Mtech v2 angels )(8000k headlights and fogs)( Full Xenon kit) (///M shifter) (LCI u.s spec tails) (285/30/20 & 255/30/20 beyern baroque 3pc rims) 03 FX45 AWD | silver| sports package| premium package| (WIFE) (sold)06 330i | cherry red | sports package| premium | cold weather | logic 7 | Ipod | ( WIFE )

I also will be interested in the rear camera ..if the price is right
Old 11-04-2009, 04:04 AM
Members

I'd definitely would be interested depending on several things:
Whether it's easy to install.
Whether the camera is at an angle that actually helps me discern the the distance between my bumper and the one behind me, while giving me a wide enough view of the area behind me.
Competitive price.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:48 AM
Members

I'm interested in a backup camera that is integrated with the idrive.

What model years would your solution be compatible with? Does the camera delete one of the license plate lights?
Old 11-04-2009, 07:14 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Basically all the same question from the previous posters, and I'm interested in seeing how it integrates in to iDrive and the install process... Plug and play , no cutting/pin out/taped connectors.

E61 ( wagon)
Cost
connection
actual camera view
iDrive integration
Front mount... Don't want to tear off the Mtech or front splitters
Old 11-04-2009, 07:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by mmitev' post='1046693' date='Nov 4 2009, 01:24 AM
I have a few questions that I guess will be interesting for everyone, so I am putting them here instead of PM/email.
These are all good questions, here is what I think ...

The camera looks bound to get dirty very fast at wet weather or winter times, especially in places where the roads have some dirt around. Do you have any comment on this? (The BMW OEM camera sits higher, just under the handle lid (I think its mounted within the handle) and it seems it will get dirty much harder than this one.)
As any other part of your car it will get dirty in bad weather conditions. I am not sure how high is OEM camera sits, but if you position this camera any higher it will obstruct the view. Do you have any pictures of BMW OEM camera?

Is this camera mounted in one of the number plate light wells? If so, is the light missing or is there a replacement lamp in the camera housing?
Yes, it is mounted in one of the license plate light wells. There is a LED bulb built in the camera housing.
Members

Does your kit require the OEM ACM module which is a big cost item (around $500)?
As fas as I know it doesn't require any additional modules. I will do a test on e60 M5 in a week or so and report back. But I am 99.9% positive that you don't need anything else.

When integrating with iDrive, will one be able to see the PDC sensor diagram AND the camera view at the same time, or is the camera view taking all of the display space?
Yes, you will be able to see/hear the PDC sensor diagram on the screen at the same time.

Will the kit be suitable for the E61 (I guess that should be the case as the trunk handle and number plate lights look identical)?
If the license plate light housing is the same as on e60, then it would work on e61 too.

What is the estimated cost of your kit? Any group buy possibilities?
The price is still TBD , but it will be cheaper than BMW OEM kit and it will also give you an option to add extra features like ( night vision, front view camera, ) at extra cost.
Yes, I will do a GBs.
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

I am also interested in this camera. Can you provide more details about the integration of this camera with iDrive and/or ACM ?

Quick Reply: Any interest in Back up camera ?