E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Any German-based people upgraded angel eyes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 05:26 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my Angel eyes upgrade LEDs but when I asked a local garage to install them (while changing to my summer tyres) they said they wouldn't do it unless I had a T?V certificate that showed that the LEDs were approved for the car. I think Freilassung was the word he used. He said that if I didn't have this, and I had an accident (even in the daytime with the lights off), the insurance company will inspect the car looking for ANYTHING that isn't certified to be on the car and would reject the claim based on that. He knows someone who had modified their Golf and that happened to them. I'm sure some will say don't worry about it, install them yourself, it'll be fine. But the police can also stop you if they don't think the lights look normal and can check and you get points on your license for it too. It's just not worth breaking the rules here in Germany with stuff like that.

So I want to know if anyone has found these LED upgrades to be T?V approved. Here's a link to a German seller of them. If I don't get a response on here, I'll try asking that ebay guy direct (even though I didn't buy from him, I bought from a UK seller).
http://cgi.ebay.de/BMW-E39-E60-E53-E87-E65-LED-ANGEL-EYES-XENON-WEIss-8000K_W0QQitemZ170314515124QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutoteile_Zubeh%C3%B6r
Old 03-27-2009, 06:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

I am not based in Germany, but we also have anal-retentive car inspectors in Finland.

Unless you want to install red or blue AE's, I don' think that there is any possible way an insurance inspector or car inspector could possibly know that you have "upgraded" the lights. They just look a bit brighter at night, nothing else.

And you can do the install yourself. I just had mine installed at BMW on Wednesday, and after seeing the Tech do the install, I see that it is a no-brainer. He did the install at the same time as trying to fix my fog lamps...
Old 03-27-2009, 06:14 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Patrick E61' post='828111' date='Mar 27 2009, 03:07 PM
I am not based in Germany, but we also have anal-retentive car inspectors in Finland.

Unless you want to install red or blue AE's, I don' think that there is any possible way an insurance inspector or car inspector could possibly know that you have "upgraded" the lights. They just look a bit brighter at night, nothing else.

And you can do the install yourself. I just had mine installed at BMW on Wednesday, and after seeing the Tech do the install, I see that it is a no-brainer. He did the install at the same time as trying to fix my fog lamps...
Unfortunately, my wife was with me when I got told all this. You can't imagine how much grief I'll get if I put them in anyway. I'm only going to do it if I get the T?V freilassung certificate.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='828117' date='Mar 27 2009, 04:14 PM
Unfortunately, my wife was with me when I got told all this. You can't imagine how much grief I'll get if I put them in anyway. I'm only going to do it if I get the T?V freilassung certificate.
Ouch.

I can understand that you need to get 20" wheels certified if your car registration paper work says that only 18" are allowed, but brighter AE lights?

I realize that the Germans are thorough, but it is quite possible that the T?V boys won't even know what you are talking about when you ask about this!

Send Iceman a PM and ask him if the eBay seller doesn't reply.