E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Another 2004 E60 iPod retrofited

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 12:44 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by Bob525D' post='815083' date='Mar 12 2009, 04:42 PM
I am now having doubts about wanting to fit an ipod kit, sounds like there are alot of risks with having an update applied. Interestingly though the dealer never mentioned this, they only said that it could be problematic and they would need the car the whole day. There was no mention of potentially having to replace modules, I have to say I dont fancy the idea of having to shell out ???'s just to get an ipod adapter working. The trouble is that i have already purchased the kit and I doubt they would accept it back. My car is a 2004 and I have a Scotsure warranty, i doubt they would cover any module issues relating to the updates.

Am I worrying out nothing, any thoughts.
The kit won't give you problems. Its the modules on your car that sometimes won't accept everything.

It'll be fine and you'll love the ipod kit once everything is worked in there.

Some people just have more problems than others, like any other car modification.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:06 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nigxdoof' post='815086' date='Mar 12 2009, 04:44 PM
The kit won't give you problems. Its the modules on your car that sometimes won't accept everything.

It'll be fine and you'll love the ipod kit once everything is worked in there.

Some people just have more problems than others, like any other car modification.
Thanks for the reply, i do miss my Ipod in the car. If dont do it now I will want it done eventually anyway.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Blacked out 530i, Carbon Fiber Pillars, Carbon Fiber Emblems (Wheels, Steering Wheel and Hood/Trunk). Blacked out kidney Grill, Smoked side marker lights, 15mm Rear Spacers, K&N Filter, Window Tint, Navigon Syst. Breyton Front Lip. Bilistein Coil Over Suspension Front & Rear Droped 1.5" Genuine M5 Pedal set. Mtechnik side skirts, RPI Exhaust.

Has anyone used this retrofit for their I phone 3g? Does anyone know if this works?
Old 03-12-2009, 01:11 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

Originally Posted by steeda106' post='815122' date='Mar 12 2009, 05:09 PM
Has anyone used this retrofit for their I phone 3g? Does anyone know if this works?
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=71577&hl=
Old 03-12-2009, 11:35 PM
Members

Smile

Originally Posted by qtrxist' post='814314' date='Mar 11 2009, 08:01 PM
That's very good news to the OP. i dropped off my car today to the dealership to have my iPod integration kit updated on the system (non-NAV, CD changer removed, build date 09/03).
i got a call from my SA around 2pm that my system wont update. i talked to the tech he said it wont let him update it, something is wrong. he cant tell which component is wrong. and to put icing on the cake, SA told me just to diagnose what is wrong i have to shell out $570.00.
yes, $570!!! just to find out what is wrong. i have extended warranty to 100,000 and easy care as 3rd party warranty and he said it wont be covered by neither.
bummer, i really wanted the iPod on my car so i said go ahead and do it and find out why. turns out that sunroof leaked water and shorted some of the wires.. i really hope this will be covered. but what is odd is when i installed the ipod integration and hooked up my ipod, i got the BMW logo, but on i-drive the CD1, CD2..etc is grayed out. so i thought its just a software issue.

any input i would really appreciate it. thanks!
UPDATE:
so i got a call from my SA this morning, after carefully reviewing my warranty (easy care), they said no... it will not be covered. it was a non-covered part (sealant) that destroyed a covered part (MTM module). and i have to spend $500 (discounted) for the diagnosis.. and to fix what needs to be fixed.. $2700. sucks.. just for the retrofit. lucky for the other guys they didnt have this problem. so i guess ill be putting up my iPod retofit for sale.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by qtrxist' post='815477' date='Mar 13 2009, 03:35 AM
UPDATE:
so i got a call from my SA this morning, after carefully reviewing my warranty (easy care), they said no... it will not be covered. it was a non-covered part (sealant) that destroyed a covered part (MTM module). and i have to spend $500 (discounted) for the diagnosis.. and to fix what needs to be fixed.. $2700. sucks.. just for the retrofit. lucky for the other guys they didnt have this problem. so i guess ill be putting up my iPod retofit for sale.
Sorry to hear that man. Do you know which module didn't work?

I actually do have an extra TCU, I dont think it has bluetooth capability though. It worked fine with my ipod retrofit, could that be what's messing you up?

If so, want to buy it, I'll sell it cheap. Let me know if u're interested. I can take pics of the module.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:59 AM
Members

nigxdoof

thanks for the offer. i have to double check on the report. i havent really paid attention on which part is damaged, if i remember it right SA mentioned MTM module and located on the trunk. i have to check on local BMW service provider whose not charging an arm and a leg for fixing water leaks (body seals).
Old 03-16-2009, 10:19 AM
Senior Members

Got my car back a lunchtime today, software update went in no issues at all (I am now running a version dated the August 10 2006). In fact it must have been quick they could only have started working on it at 9am and they called at 11:40 .

It works great I have access to everything on my ipod (almost everything).

Now one silly question to ask, is there a way to get the ipod videos to play on the idrive screen? I am sure I saw someone mention another module to buy for this?

Thanks for the advice guys, it was worth it in the end.....
Old 03-20-2009, 05:28 PM
Members

Well guys I opted for the AUX route. Car goes in in 2 weeks. My SA even advised me against the integration route. Said unless I "NEED" to access my ipod through the iDrive then I should look at the AUX route. He did mention that with the intgration kit I might need an occasional software update that isnt covered under warranty. $200 each update. He said he's done 1 already in the last year.

I'm not a HUGE music guy anyways so it's not the most important thing to me. The integration kit was triple what the AUX route is so I'll save some more money for "go fast" mods.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:32 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by simmer' post='822633' date='Mar 20 2009, 09:28 PM
Well guys I opted for the AUX route. Car goes in in 2 weeks. My SA even advised me against the integration route. Said unless I "NEED" to access my ipod through the iDrive then I should look at the AUX route. He did mention that with the intgration kit I might need an occasional software update that isnt covered under warranty. $200 each update. He said he's done 1 already in the last year.

I'm not a HUGE music guy anyways so it's not the most important thing to me. The integration kit was triple what the AUX route is so I'll save some more money for "go fast" mods.
Great that the aux works to your need. But the SA said the integration kit is bad makes no sense.

Its a BMW product and BMW sells and produces it. That's like them saying, oh we have these BMW wheels, but you shouldnt use it.

I loved the IPOD integration kit when i had it, but it had its limitations. The main reason why i wanted the kit was to control the songs via car control and see the songs in the idrive and select what i want to listen to. Its pretty hard to do that with AUX.

Now that I have the dension, the Ipod kit is obsolete compared to the dension. If you ever get a chance to get the ipod kit or the dension, you'll love it more than your AUX.

Enjoy the aux!

Quick Reply: Another 2004 E60 iPod retrofited