E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Another 2004 E60 iPod retrofited

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty new here, but have been mostly reading/researching on here and I love this site. It has already saved my quite a bit of $$$, and I've learned a lot from you guys.

My car is 2004 530i 12/03 built. NO NAVIGATION, NO CD CHANGER (but prewired), does NOT play MP3 CDs. I've read many different threads where I had hope that the iPod kit would work and others that discouraged me as it seemed like an impossible mission to make it work on older E60's. After ordering my OEM iPod kit and installing it which took 15 minutes about 2 weeks ago, I finally took it in this morning to Braman BMW (Miami) to get it programmed. At around 4PM, they called me saying it was ready which bought a smile on my face, because there was no bad news from the SA. Picked up the car and plugged in my iPod right away and saw the "loading CD information" message.

IT WORKS!!!!. The sound is amazing. I've been using a Belkin FM transmitter for my iPod and please guys, don't waste your hard earned cash on these items. Especially if you live in a big city. A lot of static noise, very low volume, you constantly have to change the channel because of interference. I had started to doubt the sound quality of the iPod with the retrofit kit as I only expected a slight improvement in quality from the FM transmitter. BOY was I wrong!!!! The sound quality, the clarity, the volume gain, words cannot described.

Here are some interesting facts:

1- My car STILL does NOT play MP3 CDs in the player. (I have NERO at home and have created MP3 CDs with the instructions on this site) I get the "Medium not recognized" message when I insert CD. So that tells you that MP3 does NOT need to be activated or your car does NOT need to support MP3 playback in the main CD player to enjoy the iPod retrofit kit. However, as you will see in the pics below, the CD options are MP3 1, MP3 2, MP3 3 etc NOT the CD 1, CD 2 ..... I expected. You will also see that in between MP3 4 and MP3 6 there's a CD 5 which I'm not sure why. If someone on here wants to ship me an MP3 CD that they know works in their car (should be a ~$2 expense) we can put that urban legend to rest. But again, I've followed that MP3 sticky to the letter

2- I gave them the car with progman version I-06-03-510 which I believe is version 21 (from hidden menu) and I got the car back with version 21 (was a little bit disappointed with that) I was hoping for an update to the latest version. Anyways, I've always understood that once BMW plugs the car in to their system, it will force them to update to the latest software available. (Unless that was the latest they've had in their system). Somehow, they are able to get in to the system and just activate stuff.

I hope that helps clear some confusions. Sorry about the long post. Here are some pictures I took with my phone to show the iPod display.

Greg
Old 02-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by turbogate' post='790777' date='Feb 11 2009, 07:43 PM
I'm pretty new here, but have been mostly reading/researching on here and I love this site. It has already saved my quite a bit of $$$, and I've learned a lot from you guys.

My car is 2004 530i 12/03 built. NO NAVIGATION, NO CD CHANGER (but prewired), does NOT play MP3 CDs. I've read many different threads where I had hope that the iPod kit would work and others that discouraged me as it seemed like an impossible mission to make it work on older E60's. After ordering my OEM iPod kit and installing it which took 15 minutes about 2 weeks ago, I finally took it in this morning to Braman BMW (Miami) to get it programmed. At around 4PM, they called me saying it was ready which bought a smile on my face, because there was no bad news from the SA. Picked up the car and plugged in my iPod right away and saw the "loading CD information" message.

IT WORKS!!!!. The sound is amazing. I've been using a Belkin FM transmitter for my iPod and please guys, don't waste your hard earned cash on these items. Especially if you live in a big city. A lot of static noise, very low volume, you constantly have to change the channel because of interference. I had started to doubt the sound quality of the iPod with the retrofit kit as I only expected a slight improvement in quality from the FM transmitter. BOY was I wrong!!!! The sound quality, the clarity, the volume gain, words cannot described.

Here are some interesting facts:

1- My car STILL does NOT play MP3 CDs in the player. (I have NERO at home and have created MP3 CDs with the instructions on this site) I get the "Medium not recognized" message when I insert CD. So that tells you that MP3 does NOT need to be activated or your car does NOT need to support MP3 playback in the main CD player to enjoy the iPod retrofit kit. However, as you will see in the pics below, the CD options are MP3 1, MP3 2, MP3 3 etc NOT the CD 1, CD 2 ..... I expected. You will also see that in between MP3 4 and MP3 6 there's a CD 5 which I'm not sure why. If someone on here wants to ship me an MP3 CD that they know works in their car (should be a ~$2 expense) we can put that urban legend to rest. But again, I've followed that MP3 sticky to the letter
from what I've gathered, the M-ASK (non-nav) unit does not support in-dash MP3s until sometime in 05. The cd changer port, however, can, with the iPod retrofit coding. The nav unit (CCC) can do both once it is MP3-retrofit coded regardless of build date.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Felix is correct. I had the iPod adapter on Jan '04 build 545, non-Nav car several years ago. Worked like a charm... But no Nav = no MP3 in early cars.

As for the software, activating the iPod adapter doesn't require a software update, simply an activation, so not surprised you came away with the same software version.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:41 PM
Members

I'm sure both you guys are right. It's just that it seems like a lot of early E60 owners 04-05 think that they cannot get the iPod retrofit kit when they find out that their car does not support MP3 playback. One of the steps to get the kit to work has always been to get BMW to activate MP3 playback, then CD changer. Also I've always read that a simple retrofit software update would sometimes take hours because the software had to be up-to-date.

Quick question guys, if later down the road, I want to get a Dension 500 for the added features, then at that point it should really be plug and play correct? (now that the iPod kit is running.)

Thanks
Old 02-11-2009, 05:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by turbogate' post='790887' date='Feb 11 2009, 08:41 PM
I'm sure both you guys are right. It's just that it seems like a lot of early E60 owners 04-05 think that they cannot get the iPod retrofit kit when they find out that their car does not support MP3 playback. One of the steps to get the kit to work has always been to get BMW to activate MP3 playback, then CD changer. Also I've always read that a simple retrofit software update would sometimes take hours because the software had to be up-to-date.

Quick question guys, if later down the road, I want to get a Dension 500 for the added features, then at that point it should really be plug and play correct? (now that the iPod kit is running.)

Thanks
Well, as I said, my early '04 car had the 6-disc changer but could not get MP3 activation and I had no problems getting the iPod installed. And my dealer knew it was possible from the start so there was never an attempt to get MP3 working... As usual, so many dealers are not up to speed on these complicated cars.

Not totally sure as I have no experience with Dension 500 but I would think yes, plug and play.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:25 AM
Members

Could you guys tell me where to buy the OEM iPod kit? Response greatly appreciated.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:06 AM
Senior Members

Great post. I think I have the same built date and specs as your car so this post put a smile to my face.

So when I take the car in, should I tell them just to activate the cd player, and dont mess with MP3?? This is what i took from your post.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:37 PM
Members

Originally Posted by vankat' post='791265
Great post. I think I have the same built date and specs as your car so this post put a smile to my face.

So when I take the car in, should I tell them just to activate the cd player, and dont mess with MP3?? This is what i took from your post.
I told them straight that I wanted to activate my iPod retrofit kit. I knew I was going to pay so to avoid confusing them, I just told them about my iPod retrofit kit. I did not mention the MP3 playback at all. I think for those under warranty and that are MP3 playback compatible, they can try to bring the MP3 bulletin and try to sneak in the CD changer/iPod activation for free, but that was not the case for me. My car does not supports MP3 (non CCC) playback in the CD player.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

In the next month or two I'm looking at getting this done. What was the total cost?
Old 02-12-2009, 08:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Sports, Premium and dynamic packages

Originally Posted by turbogate' post='791610' date='Feb 12 2009, 06:37 PM
From my short time here, I know of Schulrog which sells them and provides great support, and Gary of Newport BMW.

I told them straight that I wanted to activate my iPod retrofit kit. I knew I was going to pay so to avoid confusing them, I just told them about my iPod retrofit kit. I did not mention the MP3 playback at all. I think for those under warranty and that are MP3 playback compatible, they can try to bring the MP3 bulletin and try to sneak in the CD changer/iPod activation for free, but that was not the case for me. My car does not supports MP3 (non CCC) playback in the CD player.
Greg, who is your SA at Braman? My car is under the warranty so I am going to try something not sure what yet, I do have the CD changer in my car. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Another 2004 E60 iPod retrofited