E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Already retrofitted LCI headlights without LM2, now adding LM2

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 03:48 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have already retrofitted LCI halogen headlights to my pre-LCI e60 without upgrading to LM2. (as per this thread: https://5series.net/forums/topic/103...en-conversion/)

I am now about to add LM2 as I want to retrofit some LCI tail lights. I would like to know if the previous retrofit cables for the headlights will still work with the new light module or will I need to make further modifications to the wiring?

The new light module was taken from an LCI e60 so I would also like to know how much coding is needed to get the tails working. I will need to buy some retrofit cables for the tails, but I'm unsure if I need to buy them from bmw or if I can do what Ehssan has done in this thread: https://5series.net/forums/topic/106...st__p__1322775

I would prefer to use the same cables as Ehssan because the bmw solution seems to require routing an extra wire through the car to the new light module. (however, I'm not sure if the fog lights will work on Ehssans mod)
Old 09-21-2011, 04:19 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Many BMW's

you should be fine with the headlights if it functions well now then it will work fine with the LM2 if the LM2 module has the same functions as your LM1 ( or not less options at least ) ,,

as for the taillights ,, you can do the same as my cable since its cheap and clean solution rather than running extra wire from the back to the front of the car ,,

as of codings ,, I've never done LM1 to LM2 upgrade ,,but the guys have done it ,, you should be OK if you know how to use NCS ,, first try to install the LM2 and try to read it using NCS ,, if yes ,, then you can load deffault trc file according to your VO ..

let me know if you need any help ..
Old 09-21-2011, 04:32 AM
Members

Thanks Ehssan, will the foglights work with your cables? (the only reason I ask is because you mentioned not using them in your write-up)

...also, because the LM2 was already running LCI tails, does that mean that I won't need to edit as many values as you have. (bulb checks etc.)
Old 09-22-2011, 08:35 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bmwfive
Thanks Ehssan, will the foglights work with your cables? (the only reason I ask is because you mentioned not using them in your write-up)

...also, because the LM2 was already running LCI tails, does that mean that I won't need to edit as many values as you have. (bulb checks etc.)
the FOG light will work as normal , I don't really remember I mentioned not to use fog cuz there is no reason not to use it ..

off course there are lot of values to be changed in your trc file ,, they all mentioned in my post you mentioned above ..
Old 09-23-2011, 05:05 AM
Members

Ok thats good, as long as the tail lights function as OEM then it'll be perfect.

This was the post regarding the fog light:

Originally Posted by Ehssan
PS : one of the values mentioned above will feed the LED tail bars with continues V12 so I'm not using Fog light bulb , the LED tail bars are as bright as the OEM LCI ( I did a comparison with one of my friend 09 E60 )
Old 09-23-2011, 08:03 PM
Contributors

ah OK ,, you misunderstood it a bit ,, what I meant to say is that I'm not using the FOG light current signal to feed the LED bars , I've seen some people doing this ..

Don't worry everything should work as exactly as LCI OEM Taillights

I think I've done almost 47 cars ( LM1 and LM2 ) , including my car ,, it works perfectly ,, and the customers can't be any happier
Old 09-24-2011, 12:52 AM
Members

ah OK ,, you misunderstood it a bit ,, what I meant to say is that I'm not using the FOG light current signal to feed the LED bars , I've seen some people doing this ..

I think I've done almost 47 cars ( LM1 and LM2 ) , including my car ,, it works perfectly ,, and the customers can't be any happier
Oh right, that makes sense now lol.

Thanks Ehssan, I'll let you know how I get on. I should have time to attempt this soon.
Old 12-08-2021, 04:59 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i
Model Year: 04
Engine: M54 3.0L

Ever done an early model " 03/04" build I haven't found a shop or anyone that can get me daytime AE without lights all over my dash and no AHL....